Boy hospitalised after fidget spinner mishap

 Photo: Getty Images

Parents are being warned of the dangers of fidget spinners after a Sydney boy was rushed to hospital after accidentally swallowing a disc that had come off his new gadget.

His mother shared her story in the Facebook group North Shore Mums.

"Parents of fidget spinners beware…our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night and ended up at RNSH (Royal North Shore Hospital) Emergency," she wrote.

"The side of the spinner was cracked and when he spun it, the disc flew in his mouth and before he realised, he swallowed it.

"He had it for less than 48 hours. Ours are now in the bin and just want to make you all aware of what can happen with these things.

The boy's mum said he has two days to pass the disc, otherwise "we're looking at alternative methods of extraction".

A photo shared on Facebook clearly shows the disc sitting in the boy's stomach.

Fidget spinners have been the fad of the year for school children everywhere, lauded for their reported ability to help children with anxiety, ADHD and autism. But soon after they appeared, danger came with them. One girl in the USA had to have a fidget spinner disc surgically removed after it became lodged in her oesophagus.

And many schools have banned fidget spinners because they can be a distraction in the classroom.

Parents thanked the North Shore mother for sharing her story, and although some questioned the plausibility of the boy's story that it flew into his mouth, most agreed they can be dangerous. A few mums said they had now put theirs in the bin too.