Safety recall: Kaisercraft kid's watch recalled over button battery fears

The Kaiser watches have been recalled over choking fears.
The Kaiser watches have been recalled over choking fears. Photo: Product Safety Australia

A slap band watch has been recalled over concerns that children will swallow the battery.

Product Safety Australia issued the warning over the Kaisercraft Kids Slap watch, urging parents to immediately return the product to store for a full refund.

The product was recalled over noncompliance to the safety standards, with a statement detailing that if the watch face is removed from the slap band, the battery compartment is not secured properly resulting in the small button battery being easily accessible to kids.

"If young children gain access to the button batteries and ingest them, they may suffer internal burn injuries," the statement read. "In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to young children."

Batteries can pose severe risks to children is swallowed and can result in serious injury or in some circumstances, death.

The Kaiser watches have been recalled over choking fears.

The Kaiser watches have been recalled over choking fears. Photo: Product Safety Australia

Last year, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), launched the 'Tiny batteries, Big danger' campaign, with the aim to help educate parents and other carers understand the dangers of these tiny batteries and create a safer home environment.

"Once swallowed they can get stuck, and the chemical reaction can burn little ones like me from the inside. Within two hours severe damage can be done," the advertisement says, alongside examples of common household items that contain the small batteries.

"It can take countless operations to heal the wounds and months more to eat normally again. For others, its fatal."

Advertisement

ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said many people are not aware of how many items the batteries are in, and often they may not be aware if they even swallow one.

"It is also very hard for health professionals to detect when a child has swallowed a battery as symptoms are similar to other conditions," she said, with the campaign video urging parents and carers to always keep button batteries out of reach of children.

Tips for parents and carers

  • If you think a child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 for 24/7 fast, expert advice. You will be directed to an appropriate medical facility that can manage the injury. Prompt action is critical. Do not wait for symptoms to develop.
  • Symptoms may include gagging or choking, drooling, chest pain (grunting), coughing or noisy breathing, food refusal, black or red bowel motions, nose bleeds, spitting blood or blood-stained saliva, unexplained vomiting, fever, abdominal pain or general discomfort.
  • Children are often unable to effectively communicate that they have swallowed or inserted a button battery and may have no symptoms. If you suspect a child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, you should ask for an x-ray from a hospital emergency department to make sure.
  • Keep new and used button batteries out of sight and out of reach of small children at all times – even old or spent button batteries can retain enough charge to cause life-threatening injuries.
  • If buying a toy, household device or novelty item, look for products that do not use button batteries at all, such as products powered by other types of batteries or rechargeable products that do not need button batteries to be replaced.
  • Examine products and make sure the compartment that houses the button battery is child-resistant, such as being secured with a screw. Check the product does not release the battery and it is difficult for a child to access. If the battery compartment does not close securely, stop using the product and keep it away from children.
  • Dispose of used button batteries immediately. As soon as you have finished using a button battery, put sticky tape around both sides of the battery and dispose of immediately in an outside bin, out of reach of children, or recycle safely.
  • Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries and how to keep their children safe.
  • Find out more on the ACCC website and share this information to help keep children safe.