The top toy trends for Christmas this year reflect something a little unexpected and welcome - a shift away from screens.
While they might incorporate technology of some kind, like a ride-on toddler size Range Rover that the parent controls from a remote, or a Fingerling that moves and responds to sound, eBay's Chief Marketing Officer Julie Nestor says people are increasingly looking to yesteryear for gift inspiration for kids.
"This year, we've seen a shift away from screens with kids being encouraged to play in new ways, often involving the rest of the family, and parents couldn't be happier, she said.
"What we really love seeing is the resurgence of some retro favourites - from Polly Pocket and Tamagotchi to Betty Spaghetty - allowing big kids to revisit their childhood."
Drawing on the searches and purchases of 11 million Australians this year, eBay has named the toys that will be on every kid's wish list this festive season.
Top 15 toys for kids
|Little kids||Big kids|
|1||Monopoly Cheaters||Super NES classic|
Ride-on Four Wheel Drive
|The Original Tamagotchi|
|4||Fisher Price Think & Learn Teach 'n Tag||Barbie Dream House|
Chow Crown Game
FurReal Ricky, Trick Lovin Pup
|Cabbage Patch and Barnyard Kids|
|7||LOL Surprise! Bigger Surprise!||
|8||Poopsie Slime Unicorn||
Hot Wheels Monster Jam Tour Favourites
|9||Hatchimals Hatchibabies||Beanie Babies|
|10||Transformers: Augmented Bee Vision||Beyblade Burst|
|11||Nerf N-Strike Elite Infinus||Razor Scooter Spark|
|12||Hot Wheels Corkscrew Crash Track Set||Yo Yo Diabolo|
|13||littleBits Avengers Hero Inventor Kit||Airhogs Supernova|
|14||Fingerlings Unicorn||Funko Pop Toys|
|15||LEGO Fantastic Beasts Grindelwald´s Escape Playset Toy||LEGO VW Beetle|
eBay's top trends for Christmas 2018
1. Interactive pets: Interactive toys hit the big time in 2017 with the popularity of Fingerlings and the trend hasn't slowed down since. Other top picks include Pomsies, Fingerlings Unicorn, Poopsie Slime Unicorn and FurReal Ricky.
2. Unwrapping the fun: The element of surprise is irresistible for kids which is why the LOL Surprise! Bigger Surprise! range has seen 48% growth since last year. Another huge seller will be Hatchimals Hatchibabies.
3. Board games: In 2018, it's back to basics with eBay reporting that sales of board and traditional games are up 147 per cent compared to 2015 as families return to old fashioned fun. Top sellers will be Monopoly Cheaters Edition and Chow Crown Game.
4. Retro re-releases: From Polly Pockets, to Tamagotchi and Betty Spaghetty, nostalgic toys are on kids' wishlists. 1980s smash hit Polly Pocket has been re-released this year, while the Super NES Classic comes with Super Mario and Donkey Kong.
5. Movie-related toys: If it's big at the movies, it's big under the Christmas tree. This year Aussies are gearing up for the latest Transformers movie, Bumblebee and Harry Potter spinoff, Fantastic Beasts. In fact, Fantastic Beasts items jumped 1300% during the month of August when filming began.
6. Unplugged fun: Toys that encourage imagination, creativity or outdoor play will also be under trees this year. Top sellers for 2018 will be the littleBits Avengers inventor kit or anything Lego. Toddlers will be getting around on a Ride on Four Wheel Drive or the new-take on the classic scooter with the Razor Scooter Spark.