Warning after girl nearly chokes on fidget spinner

Kelly Rose Joniec (Facebook)
Kelly Rose Joniec (Facebook) 

A 10-year-old girl who put her fidget spinner in her mouth to "clean it" has nearly choked to death on the popular toy.

Her mum's Facebook post warning others has gone viral with it being shared over 580,000 times.

Kelly Rose Joniec, from Texas, was driving her child Britton home from a swim meet when she heard an "odd retching noise" coming from the back seat.

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over," she wrote in the Facebook post.

"She pointed to her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted the Heimlich but there was no resistance.

"She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it."

Britton was taken by ambulance to her local children's hospital where an X-ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her esophagus.

"After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object," she said.

"Fortunately, we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while… not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk from the anesthesia."

Advertisement

Kelly wrote the post to warn other parents.

"From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents," she wrote.

"Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed.

"Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings.

"The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."

Predictably, her post has been met with criticism from people saying her child should've known better than to put the fidget spinner in her mouth, but it will undoubtedly help prevent similar accidents.

This commentator puts it best.

"Omg glad she is okay. Some of the comments on here are ridiculous. She's a child kids do things. I have a 13 year old and she may not put it in her mouth but my 18 month old might pick up her sisters toy. So thank u for sharing. I will be more careful in making sure my little one don't get a hold of it."