What happens if you swallow a shard of glass?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cat12

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:44 PM

What happens? Anyone know?

Cat

#2 The Cat

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

Oh crap!

Not sure but I would advise that you ring the emergency dept of the nearest hospital.

#3 bad-kitty-bella

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:43 AM

Please get to a Dr or hospital asap, like RIGHT NOW, and get some advice - you can end up dying through internal haemmorhage if the shard pierces or cuts you on the way through your intestinal tract, which is highly likely.

#4 skae

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

Probably see a doctor. I found this info for you.

http://www.corecharity.org.uk/content/pdfs..._Glass_2005.pdf

also- Swallowed glass, on the other hand, usually passes through the body harmlessly.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_forbswal_hhg.htm

Edited by ska, 24 April 2007 - 12:52 AM.

#5 =Magpie=

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

sad.gif As a mental health nurse I've seen any number of sharp things go into places they never should....
In my experience, the sharp things usually pass through ok, I've seen glass, pins, nails etc with no problems that I can remember.
How big was it?? If it was me however, I'd be off to the doctor.....

#6 Nut

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

potentially something really painful when it gets to the other end...

I'd be seeing a doctor... if it has sharp edges etc it could cause some internal damage.

#7 bmieke

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

We just had this happen to my son while on a flight from Hong Kong to Sydney  ohmy.gif We were 6 hours out of Sydney. We were told that if it was doing any damage that our son would be showing signs of distress, which he wasn't.

On arriving back in Sydney we were met by the paramedics who offered to take us to hospital, instead we took him to our local hospital on the way home. We were told there that there is no way that glass will show up on an x-ray, so to just wait and see if he shows any signs of discomfort.

Basically, it may be OK, but get checked out.

#8 -Lila-

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

When I was 18mnts my brother who was 2, fed me a piece of glass about the size of a pea but thin. He then went and told my mum. She wasnt sure if she should believe him as I seemed fine but she checked all the nappies for the next few days. Sure enough once when rinsing a cloth nappy she heard a 'clink' in the sink, and there it was. I was fine and she has kept the glass to this day  laughing2.gif .
I have to say that I think this is lucky and amazing so please dont expect it would happen again.

#9 Susana

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

Completely freak out and then see my GP ASAP.

Hope your OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.