Late night childcare
Selfish or sign of the times?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 DEVOCEAN

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (miriams @ 04/08/2012, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice idea but ,as it is, they struggle to find childcare workers. I'm not sure how it would work with penalty rates, people willing to do the shifts etc?  I doubt the service could be used as occasional care for the odd night out either... it would be great if centers were allowed to offer it though , many parents who might otherwise not be able to take on a night-time shift would be able to do so.

You might find there would be an increase in carers. Some women who have kids of their own and partners who work day shift, may be willing to do the night shifts.

#52 Bart.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

I think it's a great idea, too.  Childcare workers are parents too and would possibly find this works with their own commitments.

For us, it would mean I could work in the city as I'm making absolutely no headway finding part-time work in the suburbs. If I had a job in the city, I wouldn't be able to make it home before 6pm so right now, it's not an option.

#53 NoMoreGuilt

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (jade06 @ 08/08/2012, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is a poorly written post.

... in some ways it tries to bring out parental guilt.

Agree 100%

#54 Cat Burglar

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAl @ 03/08/2012, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be wonderful. I hate how pre-kids I could choose to work 'off peak' and avoid horrendous sydney traffic by sleeping in, going in late, working late. But thanks to inflexible childcare I don't get a choice about that, which is really just more wasted time in traffic for everyone, with no benefit.

I wouldn't leave them there for LONGER hours... but I'd sure like to leave them there for DIFFERENT hours!

Possibly less time overall due to not having to spend so much time in peak hour traffic as you mentioned, and a less stressed Mum, win-win for the kids happy.gif

I cant quote the post further down about extended hours childcare having been available in Sydney for years, but thought it worth mentioning there is also one in Adelaide in the cbd

#55 Kanook

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

I would do anything to go back to work..but can't..because I work in the performing arts = late nights.  I'm a sole parent and the cost of hiring a nanny/babysitter would use up almost all of the money I would earn in an evening, so is not worth doing.  I don't particularly like the idea of leaving a child in daycare til late at night and disrupting their sleep, but I miss my job, I'm skilled in it, it pays the rent and it is a big part of who I am as a happy person and therefore a better parent and role model.  
PLEASE introduce this permanently.

Edited by Kanook, 14 August 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#56 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

So many people shift work, of course there is a demand for overnight childcare!
I can see some might abuse it, but I think that would be a minority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.