Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 SoTired

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Just catching the thread!

#3 AliGeo

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Very quiet in here lately, hope that no news is good news.

I have our amnios on Tuesday. I'm not nervous about the actual thing itself, just the results. We've had a bad run in our DIG so I'm really worried.

I'm pretty sure I've felt the bubs move this week (15 weeks), though they have been quiet again for the past few days. When did everyone feel theirs for the first time?

#4 jess1980

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

I didn't feel my babies move until about 24 weeks but I did have one anterior placenta. I'm currently 32 weeks and feel like I'm breathing fire, my stomach acid/reflux is out of control everything irritates my stomach! If I eat too much, if I don't eat often enough and it actually wakes me up around 4am every morning and if I don't wake up at that time I end up with a sore throat from the burn. I'm living on chewable mylanta tablets and Zantac I've got an Ob appt tues so hopefully I can get something stronger, is this happening to anyone else or am I One of the lucky ones original.gif

#5 *mylittleprince*

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Hi everyone

Good luck AliGeo for your amnio results.

Jess1980 - I hear you on the reflux. I was having Mylanta but it wasn't even touching sides and have really been battling. I've eaten less with a twin pregnancy than I did with a singleton. The girls in my DIG suggested Zantac and the OB ok'd it and I take one at 2pm everyday and it seems to help. I then eat a late lunch at 2:30/3:00 and then a light dinner followed by a glass of Nesquick. If I wake up wih heartburn I'll have a teaspoon of Mylanta. Hope you are able to find a solution. You are at a really good gestation now so not too long to go!

Have a great week everyone.

#6 -Pz-

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Sorry that you're all suffering heartburn - I probably would be to buy I was on heartburn tablets prior to becoming pregnant, so they seem to still be doing the trick! I can definitely tell if I forget to take one!

Good luck for the amino results Ali! It's heartbreaking seeing people leave DIGs, isn't it? When I left mine in January, I couldn't even post. I just left.

I felt movement at night around the 19/20 week mark, and I'm only just starting to feel it during the day & from the outside, although not a lot yet. The movement sometimes startles me - not painful but definitely noticeable!

I had about 3-4 weeks there where I was feeling great. Now starting to get tired again, and thinking about cutting back work some more. Don't want to risk anything health-wise & my work should be ok about it original.gif

People are really starting to notice I'm pregnant now, and not just chubby. It was weird walking around the shops on the weekend and seeing people's eyes drift towards my belly! Also, random people have started commenting on pregnancy related stuff to me - the cashier at the petrol station asked how much longer I'd be working for, and the lady at the post office wouldn't let me lift a package I was picking up

Not much other news from me : starting to buy things for the nursery but not unpacking them yet as we don't want to jinx things after out mc in January (even though that was at 10 weeks, and there is absolutely no indication anything is wrong this time) original.gif Bought the pram last weekend, will be getting the car seats this weekend probably, & that should be most of the big stiuff taken care of. No idea about sizes or amount of clothing or linens to buy though....

Turned into a longish post - haven't posted in a while, but I've been reading along!

Edited by -Pz-, 06 August 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#7 dede79

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi everyone,

Hope I can join you? We just found out we’re expecting twins last Thursday night, at our 12 weeks scan. Bit of a shock but we’re quite excited about the news. Everyone around us is so excited too, it’s hard not to be  biggrin.gif !

Still, it is a bit scary and so unexpected (no twins in family, no fertility drugs, no major ms, etc)! I think the scariest thing for me so far is the pregnancy itself. I’ve been reading back in this thread and it sounds so hard towards the end. And so scary not to bring them to term too... I just started a new job this morning and I thought I could work until 35 weeks (when I thought I was expecting one only) but obviously that’s not going to happen nno.gif .

We have a 3 years old DS. I’m quite happy he’ll be nearly 4 when the twins come, so it won’t be as hard as having a really small toddler. Still, having 3 will be challenging as my husband has his own business (doing private tours in Victoria) and often has to work 6-7 days a week. And we’ll probably have to buy a new house (only 2 bedrooms here) and car too. So many things to think about!!!

Last thing is where to have them... I was supposed to give birth at the Mercy Birth Centre (Melb) but they won’t take me with twins so I have to decide if I stay at the Mercy in the normal hospital bit or if I go elsewhere, like in a private hospital. Don’t even know if I’m too far along to make that kind of change!

Anyway, sounds like I’m having a whinge but I guess there’s a lot on my mind. We’re excited but this just brings so many questions and things to think about! Hope this group will help me to prepare at least and to ask questions to people living the same thing.

#8 jess1980

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hey dede79 I know how you feel, was a shock for us too. I was supposed to start a new job in Feb part time 3 full days per week but I was so ill with morning (all day for me even now) sickness so couldn't start. I already have 2 daughters so we had to buy a new car. We have half renovated our house so we are trying to finish at least one other room before they come and I've only got about 5 weeks left eeek getting to the business end now. It took me a while to get my head around it I was depressed for the first couple of months but I'm excited about it now, got in touch with other twin mummies where I live which is great and I did lots of research and read a few books so now I'm just waiting for my boys to arrive

#9 SoTired

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi dede79 and congratulations!

I just wanted to duck in here quickly and let you know that we were in the same position as you regarding the FBC at the Mercy. We were all booked in there and ready to go when we found out about our twins. In the end we decided to stick with them and remain in public due to the extra costs that our private Ob would have charged and also the out of pocket charges for the additional scans and blood tests. So far I am up to 2 additional blood tests and 4 additional scans and thats for DCDA (fraternal) twins. If yours are identical then there is a possibility you will need scans every fortnight from ? weeks.

I have found the Mercy very different from having a private Ob last time- you definitely wait longer for appointments and there is not much consistency with care (we have seen different docs each time) BUT that being said, I have been happy with the level of care and the willingness to answer my questions and havent felt rushed. No out of pocket costs is a big bonus too.

Our private Ob would have made us give birth at the mercy anyway as they are the closest tertiary care (NICU) hospital to us in case the babies needed the additional care/monitoring.

Good luck with the decision and feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions!

#10 jess1980

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Just wondering how many growth scans you girls have had? I'm 32+5 and I've only had one scan everything was fine but I haven't been asked to get another. Ill be having steroid injections in 2 weeks and will probably have my c/s around 36 weeks

#11 SoTired

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

I had the NT scan at 12 weeks and the usual 20 week morphology scan.

I also have 3 additional growth scans booked in for 28, 32 and 36 weeks but these may be changed if I need them more often. There might be one slotted in at 34 weeks...

Not sure if there is a "standard" when it comes to how many you need/will have.

#12 dede79

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thanks gisses,

So good to hear of someone in the same situation! I'm at work now but will try to PM you tonight with some questions.

#13 *mylittleprince*

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Re: growth scans. I had the normal 12 and 20 week scans. Then I've had two growth scans (can't remember the first one and had one last week). I have another one scheduled for 3 weeks time. I have low risk fraternal twins.

#14 jess1980

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I've had the 12wk & 20wk scans and one growth scan at 29 wks. I'm now 33 weeks and dr doesn't think I will go past 36wks due to my thin lower segment of my uterus. I don't have another ob appt til the 21st aug which is when I'll be having steroid injections. I need to make it to 36 weeks otherwise I'll have to go to Perth (600km away) to have them and I don't want the drama of that! On an unrelated matter is anyone having trouble with their hips? I sleep on my side I try to stay on my left side but my hip hurts after a while so I change sides then my hip hurts on the other side. Both my hips are so sore today I'm not too sure what I can do about it, I certainly don't weigh as much as when I was pregnant with my last child and never had any pain like this any ideas? If only I could sleep on my back!

#15 Tomahawk

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Just dropping back in to let you know I'm going to have Ben and Erin home on Sunday or Monday, I am so happy about that and also a little daunted. After having them being in the hospital for 2weeks and being told nothing to 2 to 3 weeks last Saturday it has come really quickly. You don't know who to believe! I can't wait  original.gif .
Jess1980 I don't know what you can do about your hips, I think at this stage it's just like that. I had a maternity pillow thing that I thought was great but by the last month I was ok for a bit but then it was uncomfortable again. It's hard to suggest something cause they cost a lot. I have my fingers crossed for you but I have a feeling you will be fine and won't have to go Perth.
Good luck you guys- even if things go a bit wrong it can all be good in the end you just have to roll with it (for want of a better expression  wink.gif )

#16 -Pz-

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

I knew I read about hip pain somewhere! Thought it was in the FB group, but it was you Jess!

Try sleeping with a pillow between you knees, but make sure that it's also between your ankles too - I was having brutal hip pain and that's what worked for me. No hip pain at all now!

Great news Kath! Please pop back in & let us know how you go with them!

Afm, all good at 22 weeks. Starting to feel more tired, though I suspect that's normal. Got to see the monsters at OB appt this week, and get to see them again in a fortnight when we have an extra ultrasound to make sure little man is getting fluid into his belly

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

#17 babycat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

I haven't posted here in a little while....had my 12 week scan and Ob appt this week.  All looking good, both babies are measuring spot on for dates and have come back with low risk NT results.

Have another scan at 19 weeks and then Ob has said I'll have another at 26 weeks and one at 32 weeks.

Still searching for the right pram, and off to put the car seats on layby today.

#18 *mylittleprince*

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hi everyone

Kath07 - did you manage to bring the twins home yesterday? How are you going?

I'm 29 weeks now and can't wait for the next few weeks to pass. I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable and my pelvis has been really sore. I'm seeing a physio and wearing SRC pregnancy shorts but it only takes the edge of it, doesn't take the major pain away. I'm seeing a chiro this week so maybe that will help. I failed the glucose tolerance test but was right on the border so the midwife said not to worry. I sit the 2 hour test tomorrow morning and I really hope I pass. Luckily a friend has offered to watch my son so that is one less thing to have to worry about.

Hope you are all well and travelling along nicely.

#19 dede79

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hi all,

Kath07 - Can't wait to hear how you go with the twins home.

MylittlePrince - I'm thinking of getting some of those SRC pregnancy shorts. Saw some on ebay for $60 but unsure of the sizing. Do we have to take a bigger size because we're carrying twins or just use the sizing on their web site?

AFM - I'm 14.5 weeks now and feeling quite big already. Had my first appointment at the normal hospital on Monday and that went alright. She wants me to do another scan tomorrow though to check a few things she couldn't see on the ultrasound report. Can't wait to see the babies again! Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll be able to spot the genders...

Starting to have a look online at prams, capsules and all and I'm so confused... I'll wait a bit longer I think and I might come back here for questions on some models I've read you have (mountain buggy duet, BJCS, etc). Also starting to look at various car models but I'll definitely wait for the 20 weeks scan before to go ahead and buy a new car.

#20 *mylittleprince*

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

Dede79 - the measurements on the website were perfect for me and they fit perfectly. They feel supportive without feeling tight or restricted. I couldn't find any on Ebay but hoping to sell mine afterwards. If you can buy them preloved will be so much cheaper.

What car do you have now and how old is your son? We don't have a massive car and can fit 3 across the back. We will move DS (who will be 3) into a Hipod Senator and the babies are going into Safe and Sound Unity capsules. We bought the Mountain Buggy Duet which fits the capsules. Hope you are able to find something that you like.

#21 dede79

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thanks MyLittlePrince. I'll keep checking eBay. The ones I was watching were medium but I should probably go with small. Should get the measuring tape out...

You'll have to tell me more about the Duet when your twins are born. I really like the look of it but think its so silly that you have to remove the seats to put car seat attachments. What if I want to go out in car in morning to drop off DS at kinder and then go for a walk later in afternoon? Seems fiddly but maybe I'm over thinking it. Are you getting bassinets too? I prob wouldn't but it would be nice to have them facing me at first.

For the car, I have a Peugeot 306 which is tiny. Definitely need to change. My husband has a big 7 seater (Mercedes Vito) but its his work car, he's a private tour guide and takes clients in it around Victoria. He often works 7 days a week and very long days so we do need a new car. I don't want a van but something big enough to fit 3 seats (2 capsules + DS' maxi rider, he'll be nearly 4 when the twins come) and to fit the big pram in the booth. So far I like the toyota prado and the Hyundai Santa fe but they're both quite big.

Ok, off to bed. Got lots of twins books from library so going to read them.

#22 *mylittleprince*

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

You'll have to tell me more about the Duet when your twins are born. I really like the look of it but think its so silly that you have to remove the seats to put car seat attachments. What if I want to go out in car in morning to drop off DS at kinder and then go for a walk later in afternoon? Seems fiddly but maybe I'm over thinking it. Are you getting bassinets too? I prob wouldn't but it would be nice to have them facing me at first.

I'm planning to take the seats right off the pram and store and only put them back on once the babies don't fit in the capsules anymore so I won't be switching between capsules and the normal seats. Once they don't fit in the capsules (12kg) then I will put them straight into the pram.

I don't have gestational diabetes so I'm super happy. Just found out the result today original.gif

#23 stacey82

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hi Ladies, I hope you all dont mind me posting in here but Im just after some advice and thought you ladies may be able to help maybe....

(I did post this somewhere else also but havent had any hits yet so thought maybe Id have better luck here  original.gif )

I had a scan yesterday, its kind of left me baffled!! I was 6w6d.
So I was having my ultrasound and after seeing my baby and its little 140bpm heartbeat  wub.gif  , he said that we need to investigate further and we need to do a vaginal scan because there is "something else in there"!!!   ohmy.gif
So while he was doing the scan he said that "it could be a fibroid or could be another pregnancy but not a live one" I thinking I would have a definite answer by the end of the scan... but no! I asked him what happens now and he said that he will email my GP the report and she will tell me what we do from here but basically, if its a fibroid we monitor it regularly and if its another baby it has not got a heartbeat therefore it will absorb.

I left not even having any thought except for confused. Is it possible he really couldnt tell the difference between a fibroid or another baby?

I dont know what to think! there was no report in with the pics he gave me so I cant even read that and have to wait until Wednesday to see my doctor.

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance

#24 reesan

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi Stacey,

I am not sure if this is helpful, but you might google vanishing twin syndrome. Apparently this is not an uncommon occurance, and it would result in what you describe.

Because very early on a developing pregnancy is really just a mass of cells it does seem plausible to me that one lost very early could be difficult to distinguish from other cells.

It is unfortunate though that you've had to experience this very uncertain experience and I hope it helps knowing you've got a lovely strong heartbeat in your baby on board.

#25 reesan

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

As for me, I'm nine weeks four days. My morning sickness, fatigue, and sore boobs have lessened considerably this week - enough to make me slightly anxious. And I've gone from sleeping very well from about 8pm to 7am to having trouble falling asleep and then having horrible nightmares (mostly baby related.. but awful imagery like waking up with blood running down my legs).

Everything is fine but I'm very emotional and shaken after waking up from these dreams.

I know that a small amount of anxiety is perfectly rational, because there hasn't been bleeding or anything it isn't so much miscarriage of both twins I'm anxious about, but that something might have happened to one and us not know. We are already so attached to our twins and have not kept to our original plan of keeping things quiet - we've told so many people as twins make everyone so excited - we've made so many plans, and bought so many things.

So we decided rather than wait until our next scans at 12 weeks, we'd pay for one more scan asap to have the reassurance of seeing both babies were still growing and hearts beating.

So that scan is Monday, I feel really good about our decision.

I also heard from Royal Women's this week and they will see  me for first appointment at twins clinic at 12 weeks 4 days, so I'm really looking forward to getting there and getting more of an idea about what my care will entail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.