Baby clothes and blankets for summer newborns
Are long sleeves and covered feet necessary?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 porkchop's mama

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

I apologise if this is a naive question but I'm a bit puzzled about how warmly to dress bub in the summer months.

I'm trying to buy grow suits and one pieces at the moment and was wondering if I should buy long sleeves, long legs and bottoms 'with feet' on them.  Did anyone find long sleeve jackets useful?

So far, I've been concentrating on short sleeves and singlets.

Also, will you all be buying 'winter' weight blankets?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.  I haven't even gotten past the clothes shopping yet and have a long, long way to go....

XXX

#2 FourLittleLoves

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I would probably grab a few just in case there are a few cool days or nights during summer and just the one winter weight blanket would probably be enough if you are out at night with baby.

#3 porkchop's mama

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for that, Mrs PH!

I'm going to get a suit in both 0-3 and 3-6 months.  Everyone's telling me they grow so fast and not to buy too many newborn sized items.

XXX

#4 . . .

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

I found it depended on where you spent a lot of time - if you air condition your home or spend a lot of time in air conditioned places, then lightweight but long sleeved/legged suits will be useful. So many places are over-cooled that some babies rarely get the chance to be hot!

Lightweight but long outfits are good for sun protection too - I used to take my DS on the back of my bike and he was covered head to toe for that, even in summer.

Mostly at night we just used a flannelette bunny rug, but our house didn't have cooling in the bedrooms.

#5 MuppetGirl

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

I remember Christmas of 06 when my DD was 5 weeks old. Christmas night was freezing! So yeah I was relieved I had a few warmer bits just in case.

It is unlikely you will need winter weight blankets but you may as well buy a couple anyway as you will use them a few months later when it cools off anyway original.gif

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

DD2 is a December baby. In newborn size she wore footed or long sleeved stuff only once or twice. I had winter. Stuff from DD1 who was born in May but DD2 only ever wore about two or three pieces. I would get some leggings/track pants, a couple wonder suit type things a long sleeved bondysuit or shirt and 2-3 jackets or cardies.

They are useful for those cool moments but you don't need a lot usually. Blankets, get a few, you'll use them by March.

#7 Pearson

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Where do you live?

DD was born in Aug 10, but was still young in the summer.  She was in a longsleeve, but summer weight onesie or outfit every night.  This was the summer it rained and 1/2 the city flooded.  It was a cold rain.

Keep that in mind.  If this is your first child, you can always keep them for your future children (if you are having more) or even onsell them on EBay.

ETA - she kicked off all her blankets and was beyond wrapping by this stage, so she would keep warm this way.  

Buy a few muslin wraps, you can always add another one as a blanket if it is a little cool.

Edited by Willow Angel, 05 August 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#8 porkchop's mama

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the help, ladies.

I'm in Sydney and now that I think of it, we have had some cool nights in December.

#9 Over_the_rainbow

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

My DS was a December baby and I just dressed him in the same amount of layers that I was wearing at the time and used a light muslin swaddle. He spent most of his first few months in a nappy and singlet during the day, at night he wore a bonds type onesie as we slept with the A/C on.

#10 cletus

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Porkchop's mama  I'm wondering the same thing myself! I had a winter baby last time so summer for a newborn is a mystery to me! However in terms of how many clothes you'll need - it will depend on how often you want to wash. Depending on how much your bub spits up after a feed, it could mean you will go through 3-4 jumpsuits in a day. I started with 4 suits in a newborn size and had run out by the second day - so had to send DH to the shops to buy more. And then DS had moved up to 00 by the time he was 2 weeks old so the 000 suits probably got 3 wears each, but honestly it was worth it for the convenience.

#11 porkchop's mama

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (cletus @ 06/09/2012, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Porkchop's mama  I'm wondering the same thing myself! I had a winter baby last time so summer for a newborn is a mystery to me! However in terms of how many clothes you'll need - it will depend on how often you want to wash. Depending on how much your bub spits up after a feed, it could mean you will go through 3-4 jumpsuits in a day. I started with 4 suits in a newborn size and had run out by the second day - so had to send DH to the shops to buy more. And then DS had moved up to 00 by the time he was 2 weeks old so the 000 suits probably got 3 wears each, but honestly it was worth it for the convenience.

Thanks for that, cletus. Really helpful to know how many suits you'd expect to get through in a day.

I'll probably buy more in the 0000 size closer to my due date.  I'm hoping that the last scan will give me an idea of how big bub will be and plan to do the final clothing shop when I'm around 34 weeks.

I have bought a range of blankets in different thicknesses as well to suit the varied weather we get in Sydney.

Will have to investigate those swaddle suits as well, they seem to come in different weights for the weather as well.

#12 Mum_of_five

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

At the moment my bubs is going to be under 3kg, so i have brought cotton all in ones and a few that have no feet but long arms... I can always put her in a nappy and singlet if it gets to hot for her... But bubs being small i figured she may need to be kept warm.. I am due 17th Dec so only have a few weeks of hot days most likely... The weather is all over the place in Melbourne lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.