Even the British are saying it's Australia's worst Olympics

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Mel.Bell

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Click HERE for full article

Words like "only manage bronze" ... "silver is not a dirty word, but" & even a joke

What's the difference between a yoghurt and Australia? Well, the yoghurt has a living culture.

This article is just disgusting !!! I know EB have talked a lot about how the media are putting our athletes down but for other countries as well?!? I mean they are probably happy that we are "failing" but I just feel so sorry for our athletes.

I wish I was an Olympian & won SILVER for our country ... I would give the reporters HEAPS & challenge them to a race/jump whatever sport I was competing in.

Long before the closing ceremony, the Olympic authorities, press and bleary-eyed armchair pundits Down Under have already accepted that its athletes have put on their worst performance in 36 years.

At the Montreal Olympics in 1976, they failed to win a single gold but the impressive hauls in every Games from Barcelona 1992 onwards made Australia an Olympic superpower.

But even the most patriotic fan would struggle to convince anyone that Australia are having a good Olympics, despite 12 silvers and seven bronzes.

Edited to make it look more readable

Edited by Mel.Bell, 07 August 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#2 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

I dont generally watch the olympics as its not really my thing but even i have been shocked by the coverage ive seen.
Whats wrong with silver?
Thats a hell of an achievment. Just making the olympics is huge.

Id love to see the people behind the papers and cameras do a week of training that the athletes would do just to possibly make the games.

#3 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

oh come on! Let them have their day, Aussies are the WORST offenders of crowing when the goings good, they are just giving you a taste of your own medicine!

Yeah the article is harsh, but I've seen similar in Australia!!! If you can't handle the heat...

#4 JinksNewton

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

oh come on! Let them have their day, Aussies are the WORST offenders of crowing when the goings good, they are just giving you a taste of your own medicine!

Yep. If Australia weren't such poor winners, other countries wouldn't be giving us stick when we lose. Those few years where the Australian cricket team just won everything were absolutely crigneworthy, with the arrogance that was shown/
(And by "Australia" I mean the media and the loutish spectators, not the athletes)

#5 CherrySunday

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Livsh @ 07/08/2012, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the article is harsh, but I've seen similar in Australia!!! If you can't handle the heat...

Yep!

#6 Feral Becky

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, let them have their day.
I actually think Australia are just in a 'rebuilding 'phase wink.gif

#7 annodam

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Who cares?

#8 ~Nodnol~

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Bit like the article that appeared in Australian media last week laughing at the fact that at that stage the UK had less gold than Kazakhstan.  wink.gif

#9 baddmammajamma

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

We have much better weather. original.gif

#10 Mel.Bell

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

I just hate media ... I was actually cheering for the BRITS when they were in the rowing race where they won their first gold. I grew up swimming (my cousin married an Olympian medalist who we trained with & Thorpie, Hackett etc. came to their wedding -Nice guys!). I'm have a great sportsman (woman) ship attitude. This sort of media annoys me.

Sorry: I didn't know we were ripping off the BRITS as I don't really take note to what the media have to say. I was just emailed this link & thought I would share.

#11 BadCat

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Meh.  The UK can bite my shiny metal ass.

At least we have SUN to reflect off our nice shiny silver medals.  laughing2.gif

#12 purplekitty

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

"Even the British are saying it's Australia's worst Olympics"
My Bold.

The British would be the first to have a go and did. Let them have their day in the sun (rare as it is) .

One of the commentators on the rowing stated that one gold medal won by the British women guaranteed 40 million pounds in future financial support.
I don't want Australia to enter that race for Gold.

I wonder what their expenditure over the last four years has been relative to Aus.

Now the NZers, good on them,even though it kills me after the Super 15 rugby and the Bledisloe coming up.

#13 ~Nodnol~

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 07/08/2012, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh.  The UK can bite my shiny metal ass.

At least we have SUN to reflect off our nice shiny silver medals.  laughing2.gif

They'll have to use all their gold as lights on their heads to see through the foggy damp weather.

Don't forget the bronze- goes with our beach lifestyle.  biggrin.gif

#14 peking homunculus

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Britian had better win a lot of medals. They spent a LOT of money beefing up their sports programs to get them.

Thye sad fact is that the country that spends the most money on olympic preparation is the one who wins all the medals.

it's about money, not talent. This is why Australia has been so successful in the past. We targeted sports that were low picking fruit, selected athletes who had the biometry to do well in these sports and then spent up big getting them ready.

#15 Zarlias

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

At the end of this fortnight, even if the UK quadruples us in gold medals, we get to leave England and come home to Australia.

That's a bloody win in my book!

#16 Fourteenyears

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well they have a point.  From a purely statistical point of view, the team is not bringing home the swag of previous years.

The question is, how much does that actually matter, and the answer will vary depending on your point of view.   The team's performance is not disappointing me and I have enjoyed watching their participation in the games so much that I don't begrudge the AIS their share of my taxpayer dollar.

I also think the Brits have put on a great Olympics, from a hosting and competing perspectve and can't manufacture much outrage for their media saying exactly what ours is.

I am disappointed by the negative spin from the media over here though.  I can understand that an overview of the entire games may look less glossy than that of previous games, but the ongoing vocal disappointment in individual medal winning performances has been both unsportsmanlike and unsupportive.

#17 kpingitquiet

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Meh. I don't expect gentle treatment from the competition in such things. I do expect it from the home court.

#18 Fourteenyears

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thye sad fact is that the country that spends the most money on olympic preparation is the one who wins all the medals.

The Guardian publishes a medal table adjusted for GDP, in an effort to adjust for the way economic prosperity gives an advantage.  I have not a clue what their maths are, but the top 10 in that particular league table is currently:

Grenada
Jamacia
Mongolia
Armenia
Georgia
Moldova
Kenya
Belarus
Cuba
North Korea

#19 dadwasathome

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (Sevenyears @ 07/08/2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Guardian publishes a medal table adjusted for GDP, in an effort to adjust for the way economic prosperity gives an advantage.

That's the table I've been getting my data from. By population is the only measure by which we're "punching above our weight" at 7th rather than the official 8th.

Australia has become too good at hubris and could really learning from a good knocking down. It'd be better coming from the Kiwis than the poms though......

Edited by dadathome, 08 August 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#20 matt1972

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

The whole set up over the past 4 years has been the battle of The Aussies V The Brits.
There were bets between London's Lord Mayor and our Sports Minister. This didn't start 11 days ago it has been everywhere for a very long time.
They have given us a decent smack on the ass in the events and now they get to crow about it. We do every time we beat them at anything. It's pretty harmless.

#21 greengoddess

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

After the 2008 Olympics, the Australian Sports Commission produced this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhAVHNGk31Q

I guess the British press find it amusing that we can be so arrogant and then not live up to our own hype. I know I do.

QUOTE (Sevenyears @ 07/08/2012, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well they have a point.  From a purely statistical point of view, the team is not bringing home the swag of previous years.

The question is, how much does that actually matter, and the answer will vary depending on your point of view.   The team's performance is not disappointing me and I have enjoyed watching their participation in the games so much that I don't begrudge the AIS their share of my taxpayer dollar.

I think it matters in the sense that we will potentially see a shift away from grassroots funding (as recommended by the Crawford Report in 2009) towards more elite funding. The poor performance in Montreal in 1976 was the impetus to create the Australian Institute of Sport and later the Australian Sports Commission, and the two have spent very large sums on elite sport in the hope that athletes will "inspire" athletes and there will be a "trickle down" effect to get the kiddies into sport. We know this doesn't happen, so the suggestion in 2009 that we need to start funding grassroots sport/physical activity in light of the obesity epidemic was welcome, and our fear is that this will be watered down to "compulsory sport in schools so that we can breed more champions" rather than "encourage lifelong healthy physical activity".

#22 MrsLexiK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

This really.  Aussies are bad winners (yes even some athlets) and as with all people when you are winning some can appare to be cocky or arrogant.

the other side of the coin is the Australia spends mega $$$$$ on training and whilst us spectators don't mind whatever medal we are getting I am not sure those that hand out the funding are all to thrilled with our performance.

I am loving the fact that our gold medals of late have come from sports that wouldn't generate the same funding and sponsership as our darling swimmers would.  Also love the only gold in swimming went to those girls!!!!!!

#23 BadCat

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

I think the whole rivalry between countries thing is nothing but harmless fun.  I certainly wouldn't get my knickers in a knot over it.

We bag the poms out about the cricket all the time.  And Aussie/Kiwi rivalry is excellent.  It's not like we all hate each other.  It's just a bit of friendly ribbing.  Poms currently have bragging rights.  The tables will turn soon enough.

#24 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

The article made me laugh. Sorry OP there is nothing disgusting about it especially when comparing our own media and their commentary on, well everything. The article is basically ripping into our media. And to be fair, when it comes to our media if you don't laugh at them, you will cry instead.

#25 Blondiebear

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (redkris @ 07/08/2012, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep. If Australia weren't such poor winners, other countries wouldn't be giving us stick when we lose. Those few years where the Australian cricket team just won everything were absolutely crigneworthy, with the arrogance that was shown/
(And by "Australia" I mean the media and the loutish spectators, not the athletes)

Agree and agree.

I think it was funny, although factually incorrect in a couple of spots (Magnussen's individual 100m and the 4x100 weren't on the same night, and I don't think anybody thought Steph Rice was a shoe-in).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.