Even the British are saying it's Australia's worst Olympics

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#26 **Xena**

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I just hate the media. Seriously the only losers in this whole Olympics have been the media. Revolting comments, bad journalism, sh*t coverage. The journalists should feel lucky there isn't a medal for media because we'd be right at the bottom.

#27 duran

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Look at what us poor old NZers are copping from this pig of a man  mad.gif

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/7437...i-baiting-champ

For no apparent reason other than because he can!

#28 Drowningnotwaving

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

I heard a bit on the radio and loved it, very funny.

I think the sports minister lost some sort of bet and has to wear a GB team shirt now too.

#29 SarDonik

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

The performance of the Australian team does concern me, perhaps it's just we have a lack of top level competitors at this moment in time. But in the last 10 years Australia has been soaring up the obesity charts and I've read that we have at one point been the 'fattest' developed country in the world. Not sure how true or accurate that is. It does make you think, however, that the ever increasing sedentary life Australians seem to be living, especially kids, that this will have an effect on things like participation in sports and subsequently our sporting performance as a nation. When we were kids, TV was so crap and we had a games console, but the games were also so crappy that it forced us outside. Nowadays with foxtel, dvds, super addictive games, internet, facebook etc it's very easy for kids to stay indoors and not get bored. Can you imagine trying to persuade some kid to put down his playstation fighting game and go and swim laps?

#30 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (duran @ 08/08/2012, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bwahahaha...that guy is a tool! He should maybe spend more time thinking about why little old NZ has gotten so many more medals than wales...oh, and why their rugby team couldn't beat the all blacks even if we didn't show up!

He's just a troll with a blog!

Sardonik - continuing your quest to attribute all the world's ills to obesity??

#31 SarDonik

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Livsh @ 10/08/2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sardonik - continuing your quest to attribute all the world's ills to obesity??

roger

#32 HRH Countrymel

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

A friend of mine (from the north of England obviously) sent me a link to an article where they were crowing about how Yorkshire had won more medals than Australia!

Luckily we have won a couple since then!

Let the Poms sink the boot in - perhaps that might stop our own press from their pathetic bleatings for a moment or two?

#33 SarDonik

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (TammIam @ 10/08/2012, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
roll2.gif Gawd...you crack me up!  laughing2.gif

ZING!!!!!!!!!!

#34 SarDonik

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (TammIam @ 10/08/2012, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sardonik - how do you explain the USA doing so well then? UK? Their rates of Obesity are as bad as ours? even worse.

There are studies that have demonstrated Australia has actually overtaken both the USA AND the UK in the obesity levels. I suppose we should look on the bright side, at least we're winning something  roll2.gif

#35 Cluckster

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 07/08/2012, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have much better weather. original.gif

laugh.giforiginal.gif   A country can only be a sporting power if you have the perfect balance of population, money, genetics, space and weather. Australia's pretty lucky to tick most of those boxes so we're doing alright.

QUOTE (duran @ 08/08/2012, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you read the comments by one of your own (Sir John Walker) about Nick Willis's run?  It's appalling (and not isolated to Australia) that athletes aren't supported and treated gently by their own people just because they didn't perform at the peak of their ability in an Olympic final. Anyone who has ever been involved in sport knows that running 5km one day can feel fantastic and the next feel like you've got a piano on your back. It's bullsheet to expect everything will be perfect on race day.

#36 overthehill

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Besides, ANYONE who goes and lives / travels in the UK for long realises that the Brits ALWAYS love to put Australia down and tell us we have no culture...blah...blah...blah...some Aussies who live there for a while buy into it and start to talk that crap too  ohmy.gif

Let them have their dreary old dirty and broke country with all it's "culture"....I'm stayin here (where according to surveys done there, most of them secretly and NOT so secretly want to come to anyway!!)

I think that's exactly the attitiude that makes people including Brits realise it isn't all sunshine and bbq's over here after all.

#37 greengoddess

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (SarDonik @ 10/08/2012, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are studies that have demonstrated Australia has actually overtaken both the USA AND the UK in the obesity levels. I suppose we should look on the bright side, at least we're winning something  roll2.gif

What studies? Links?

#38 BlondieUK

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

The BBC is doing a 'daily rundown' between 9/10pm and midnight, and yes - there have been a lot of comments about Australia's (relative) lack of success, And yes - they showed where Yorkshire was on the medal table. It was quite fun original.gif

You know what really annoyed me? That because we got a bunch of silver/bronze instead of gold that it warrants an 'inquiry'. For God's sake - really? Surely there are better ways to spend that money? Like hire PE teachers for schools? The unbelievable rise of China as a sporting power (watch out - India is next!) has really tipped just about every sporting scale there is. With 24 (?) million, there is no way we can reasonably be expected to get anywhere near the number of medals as countries 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/whatever times our size. the achievements of all out athletes should be applauded. And I think that is one area in which the Australian media (and to be fair, some of the public) could learn a lesson from the British coverage: unfailingly supporting of their athletes, no matter what the result. And genuinely congratulatory of athletes from other countries.

When you watch Michael Johnson commentating for the BBC - he's not really interested in the country, but in the individual and the race and competition at hand. Marvellous. (And I have to say that Thorpie did a wonderful job, too. Much more of a sense of humour than I would have expected.....)

QUOTE (Livsh @ 07/08/2012, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh come on! Let them have their day, Aussies are the WORST offenders of crowing when the goings good, they are just giving you a taste of your own medicine!

Yeah the article is harsh, but I've seen similar in Australia!!! If you can't handle the heat...

My husband is British, and we have talked about this a lot. His perception (and I quite agree) is that Australia likes to crow when it does well, but us generally a sore loser. huge generalisation. But in this case, I think, warranted.

QUOTE (BadCat @ 07/08/2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh.  The UK can bite my shiny metal ass.

At least we have SUN to reflect off our nice shiny silver medals.  laughing2.gif

Love this to bits.

#39 knickerless

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (overthehill @ 10/08/2012, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's exactly the attitiude that makes people including Brits realise it isn't all sunshine and bbq's over here after all.

It makes me laugh that whenever there is any attempt to run down Great Britain the weather is the main focus.

Is Australia's best asset the weather?

#40 Chchgirl

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (duran @ 08/08/2012, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Meh, who cares, he's a tool...plus the Kiwis have good looking rowers, kept me happy...! cool.gif

#41 BadCat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (knickerless @ 11/08/2012, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It makes me laugh that whenever there is any attempt to run down Great Britain the weather is the main focus.

Is Australia's best asset the weather?

Nah, Australia's greatest asset is that it's not England.   roll2.gif

#42 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Who cares what they say? We have done the same to them.
original.gif
What we need to remember though is that :-
Australia.....population 23 million
Great Britain....population 54 million

When Australia was the host country we had the highest medal count in our Olympic History and it will be the same for GB.

I know where I'd rather be living, I am afraid that a gold medal or two would not entice me to live there.
My SIL ventured here over 25 years ago, she hasn't gone back. She said so many grey days made her permanently depressed.

#43 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 11/08/2012, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, Australia's greatest asset is that it's not England.   roll2.gif

original.gif

#44 Tigerdog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'd be glad for the Aussies to not even finish if it were as a result of less money being poured into elite sports by our government and into things more worthwhile for the majority of the population (ie. health, housing education).

#45 TheGreenSheep

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (peking homunculus @ 07/08/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Britian had better win a lot of medals. They spent a LOT of money beefing up their sports programs to get them.

Thye sad fact is that the country that spends the most money on olympic preparation is the one who wins all the medals.

it's about money, not talent. This is why Australia has been so successful in the past. We targeted sports that were low picking fruit, selected athletes who had the biometry to do well in these sports and then spent up big getting them ready.

This ^^

As Australia poured money into 2000 Olympics, so did team GB for their Olympics. And the effect is seen for the following Olympics, and then as the money and hype dries up the medal count goes down. As well other countries with less money smartly specialize in certain strength areas, for eg Jamaica and sprinting. Takes very little money to run, doesn't require huge infrastructure like pools and equestrian facilities. So for their GDP they get bang for their buck.

Just my opinion of course.

#46 PixieVee

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I wish I lived in the UK but not because they have more medals than us haha.

#47 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Haven't ever seen that one before OP -
("What's the difference between yoghurt and Australia" ? "At least has a live culture") but it does amuse me considering so many people from GB have broken their necks to come and live here for decades. original.gif

TBH this supposed rivalry between GB/NZ and Australia is very tedious.

#48 mummy83

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/08/2012, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
("What's the difference between yoghurt and Australia" ? "At least has a live culture") but it does amuse me considering so many people from GB have broken their necks to come and live here for decades. original.gif

They don't come here for the apparent "culture" (Australians don't even know that that is), they come here for economic prosperity. No one would want to be in Australia if it wasn't for money and I wouldn't blame them.

#49 knickerless

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/08/2012, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you are happy to continue to perpetuate it?

It is tedious. The main rivalry stems from the Ashes and the Australian media have transferred that rivalry to absolutely everything. Of course the UK media also do this but nowhere to the extent that the Australian media do. Eddie McGuire (sp?) et al were all gloating in the first few days of the Olympics, loving the fact that Team GB hadn't won any gold. Oh and if there was a spot of rain, even better!

I came to this country from England and I have loved my life here. I would also have loved to have stayed in England. I am lucky enough to have travelled a lot and even though I like some countries more than others I have never felt the need to be ungracious or mean spirited in comparisons - rather I concentrate on the things that are great about each country.

Australia has good weather, good public schooling and health systems, generally nice people and nice beaches.

Guess what? The UK has all of these too original.gif

#50 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

As a first generation Australian of British descent I just don't care about this supposed rivalry. It extends as far as donning the Green and Gold at the cricket next to my red white and blue wearing aunt and uncle for a lark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.