Even the British are saying it's Australia's worst Olympics

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#51 MummaDiva

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

I have been to a few Olympics, and have found watching this one on TV to be quite .... tedious.
The spectators are appalling.  Absolutely poor form.
But I suppose, that's what you get from the home of the hooligan.

#52 knickerless

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 11/08/2012, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a first generation Australian of British descent I just don't care about this supposed rivalry. It extends as far as donning the Green and Gold at the cricket next to my red white and blue wearing aunt and uncle for a lark.

Exactly the same in my family! I have one child that leans more towards England and the other Australia - basically though they get twice the competitors/teams to barrack for original.gif

#53 PixieVee

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/08/2012, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH this supposed rivalry between GB/NZ and Australia is very tedious.

Me too. I like Britain and I like Australia. Whatever.

#54 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (MummaDiva @ 11/08/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been to a few Olympics, and have found watching this one on TV to be quite .... tedious.

Are you calling the Brits hooligans and terrible spectators?

#55 knickerless

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (MummaDiva @ 11/08/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are they appalling? (Apart from the incidents at the velodrome and the bottle on the track)

#56 PixieVee

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (mummy83 @ 11/08/2012, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They don't come here for the apparent "culture" (Australians don't even know that that is), they come here for economic prosperity. No one would want to be in Australia if it wasn't for money and I wouldn't blame them.

Whut?

#57 knickerless

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (PixieVee @ 11/08/2012, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too. I like Britain and I like Australia. Whatever.

original.gif

Can someone enlighten me - where did the Australia/NZ rivalry originate? That's another one I don't understand!! I suppose it's everywhere - USA/Canada is another that springs to mind.

#58 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (knickerless @ 11/08/2012, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are they appalling? (Apart from the incidents at the velodrome and the bottle on the track)

And I'm sure the home of the larrikin can match that  rolleyes.gif

I think the AUS/NZ rivalry is exclusive to Rugby ...

#59 BadCat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

They don't come here for the apparent "culture" (Australians don't even know that that is), they come here for economic prosperity. No one would want to be in Australia if it wasn't for money and I wouldn't blame them.

You know this was pretty much a thread of good-natured ribbing and standard Brit/Aus jokes, but there's always someone who likes to bring the ugly isn't there?

I think the ribbing between Aus, Brit and Kiwi is actually a pretty cool thing.  It's like sibling rivalry.  You can say all sorts of crazy stuff but you're best buddies underneath it all.  At least that's how I feel about it.  Your level of vitriol  may vary.  shrug.gif

Who's up for a round of Kumbaya?  laughing2.gif

#60 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

That's how I see it, BadCat.

I can say what I like about the Brits because I'm an Aussie, but if the US dare say it, I'm all over them like a rash! Tounge1.gif

#61 Pooks Combusted

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Kumbayaaaaaa my Lord, Kumbayaaaaaaaaaa

#62 purplekitty

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 11/08/2012, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the AUS/NZ rivalry is exclusive to Rugby ...
No, it's goes much further than that.
Dare I mention the cricket?

I also like to look at it as sibling rivalry between Aus. and NZ.

#63 MummaDiva

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 11/08/2012, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you calling the Brits hooligans and terrible spectators?

No, I'm calling the spectators terrible.
There have been a few incidents of incredibly appalling behaviour.  Booing medalists that have beaten a Brit / Brit team, jeering competitors as they are competing, grappling in the stands, throwing bottles, racist thuggery.  Seriously?  This is what the Olympics are about??

Bring on Rio.  Looking forward to it being a Carnivale of Sports.

Edited by MummaDiva, 11 August 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#64 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

biggrin.gif welcome to EB...and Australia

QUOTE (knickerless @ 11/08/2012, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you are happy to continue to perpetuate it?

I did? I thought I said it was tedious unsure.gif

#65 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 11/08/2012, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like sibling rivalry.  You can say all sorts of crazy stuff but you're best buddies underneath it all.

Pretty much says it all.
We have each others backs when the sh*t hits the fan and that is what matters.

#66 seayork2002

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Having lived in both countries there is equal good and bad in both and have heard a load more ribbing by the Australians and their media against the British for years than I have in reverse, its funny how at the first sign of anyone saying anything against Australians and their sport it creates a riot.

Whether we like it or not they are, unfortunately, stating the truth in this case original.gif

#67 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 11/08/2012, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having lived in both countries there is equal good and bad in both and have heard a load more ribbing by the Australians and their media against the British for years than I have in reverse, its funny how at the first sign of anyone saying anything against Australians and their sport it creates a riot.

Whether we like it or not they are, unfortunately, stating the truth in this case original.gif

Where's the riot?
Did you not notice that most people in this thread agreed that it goes both ways? huh.gif

#68 seayork2002

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

I was speaking of the world that actually exists outside of EB

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/08/2012, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's the riot?
Did you not notice that most people in this thread agreed that it goes both ways? huh.gif

#69 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 11/08/2012, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was speaking of the world that actually exists outside of EB

Yep I am too!
I think we are usually pretty mellow and all the comments are taken in good humour. I still don't know what riots you are talking about?

#70 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (mummy83 @ 11/08/2012, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my!
Good luck and welcome to EB

I'll be nice and step slowly backwards now away from my phone

#71 **Xena**

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

I also like the rivalry between Britain, Aus and NZ. I find it  ostly good natured- except when we underarm in cricket and we deserved that backlash wink.gif

#72 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Affected by the recent proposed LAHFA changes?

What's 6inches across and covered in dust?

The Australian National Anthem cd!

Just kidding you, I've been enjoying both Australia and UK's sporting achievements at these games as well as admiring all of the athletes involved. Some of the reporting following the award of a silver or bronze has been shocking - even trying out for the Olympic Team is far far beyond most people, let alone actually winning a medal!

I don't see the issue with the funnies about countries sporting achievements, some you win some you lose and like with the Ashes it all comes and goes (or maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that either wink.gif ) Australia does better you rib the Brits, we do better we rib you. However the insinuation that all Brits are yobs and hooligans as well as terrible spectators is actually pretty offensive. I'm sure most Aussies wouldn't be to happy to be called thick based on the few that actually are. Australia has had its fair share of riots, just as the UK has and there has been a fair few reports of shootings on the news in past year - more than I remember in UK. No I'm not getting my knickers in a knot, am just sayin'

Spectators - do I need to say spectators have come from all over the world?

#73 MummaDiva

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (GoneWithTheWhinge @ 11/08/2012, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spectators - do I need to say spectators have come from all over the world?

No, because if my comment that the spectators have been acting in an appalling manner is causing you angst, you can rest easy by the fact that I have not specified that they are British spectators.  This is the first Olympics I haven't been to as a spectator in 16 years & I am actually quite happy that I didn't go.  I look forward to Rio though.  And I hope the hooligans stay away.

Anyhoo, Australia is a relatively unpopulated country stuck in the wrong time zone & season, and can still manage to pick up enough medals to make the top ten.  Relatively, we're doing better than most.  What's to be disappointed about?

#74 mummy83

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

British spectators definitely aren't as yobby as Australians. Anyone ever been to a cricket match?

#75 purplekitty

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (mummy83 @ 11/08/2012, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
British spectators definitely aren't as yobby as Australians. Anyone ever been to a cricket match?
One word. Football.
(or soccer as I like to call it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.