Even the British are saying it's Australia's worst Olympics

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 mummy83

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (purplekitty @ 11/08/2012, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One word. Football.
(or soccer as I like to call it)

The difference is, it's usually teenagers in England, at cricket matches in Australia, it's 30-year-old men. I've been to two test matches and both times fighting, brawling, streaking, abuse, racism everywhere.

#77 Soontobegran

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (mummy83 @ 11/08/2012, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
British spectators definitely aren't as yobby as Australians. Anyone ever been to a cricket match?

Oh give it a rest.
Stop making it a competition.

QUOTE (mummy83 @ 11/08/2012, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The difference is, it's usually teenagers in England, at cricket matches in Australia, it's 30-year-old men. I've been to two test matches and both times fighting, brawling, streaking, abuse, racism everywhere.

Rose coloured glasses?

#78 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

Because two test matches is the same as going to all of them.

#79 BadCat

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Let's not go down this path.

Ribbing about weather, sporting prowess, etc is good for a laugh.  Denigrating an entire nationality as hooligans or yobbos is small minded and stupid.  

Not ALL Brits are soccer hooligans.  Not ALL Aussies are cricket yobbos.  Some people are appalling gits, others aren't.  End of story.

#80 BlondieUK

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (MummaDiva @ 11/08/2012, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been to a few Olympics, and have found watching this one on TV to be quite .... tedious.
The spectators are appalling.  Absolutely poor form.
But I suppose, that's what you get from the home of the hooligan.

Umm - wtf?

QUOTE (MummaDiva @ 11/08/2012, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I'm calling the spectators terrible.
There have been a few incidents of incredibly appalling behaviour.  Booing medalists that have beaten a Brit / Brit team, jeering competitors as they are competing, grappling in the stands, throwing bottles, racist thuggery.  Seriously?  This is what the Olympics are about??

Bring on Rio.  Looking forward to it being a Carnivale of Sports.

I think 'few incidents' covers it, and I would like to know which sports/events you are referring to. I know that some idiot threw tacks on the road in France recently for the Tour de France.........??

I was at the athletics last night to watch athletes from all over the world. The crowd was supportive of everyone, and the only time they booed was when an official approached Bolt and we all thought for a moment that Jamaica was going to get disqualified. Even then it was a pretty quiet boo - more of a rumble of discontent.

I have also been to 2 premier league matches in the UK - crowd again, well behaved.

I have seen/heard far worse behaviour at the AFL than at any of the UK sporting events I have been to. Others will have the opposite experience.

#81 seayork2002

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I do agree to a point but there is a such a large police/community police force there due to extensive trouble in the past and trouble still occurs depending on who is playing who etc. BUT I have never had any trouble either

QUOTE (BlondieUK @ 12/08/2012, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm - wtf?

I think 'few incidents' covers it, and I would like to know which sports/events you are referring to. I know that some idiot threw tacks on the road in France recently for the Tour de France.........??

I was at the athletics last night to watch athletes from all over the world. The crowd was supportive of everyone, and the only time they booed was when an official approached Bolt and we all thought for a moment that Jamaica was going to get disqualified. Even then it was a pretty quiet boo - more of a rumble of discontent.

I have also been to 2 premier league matches in the UK - crowd again, well behaved.

I have seen/heard far worse behaviour at the AFL than at any of the UK sporting events I have been to. Others will have the opposite experience.

#82 nothing123

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 07/08/2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have much better weather. original.gif

Automatic winners in my book!  We live in the best and most fortunate country in the world.

I am proud we are there, but cringe at the dollars spend on Olympics every four years when there are so many unfortunate people in the world.  Whether we win or lose is a first world problem isn't it?

#83 BlondieUK

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 12/08/2012, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do agree to a point but there is a such a large police/community police force there due to extensive trouble in the past and trouble still occurs depending on who is playing who etc. BUT I have never had any trouble either

Both were Manchester United matches, played in Manchester: one against Man City, one against.....can't remember (another UK club). Yes, there was a police presence, but not any more so than what there was at the Olympics last night; or than going to the AFL when Collingwood are playing original.gif

#84 seayork2002

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I was thinking more Millwall playing, well anyone original.gif, and when Middlesbrough/Geordies play Sunderland but I still have not seen any problems myself

QUOTE (BlondieUK @ 12/08/2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both were Manchester United matches, played in Manchester: one against Man City, one against.....can't remember (another UK club). Yes, there was a police presence, but not any more so than what there was at the Olympics last night; or than going to the AFL when Collingwood are playing original.gif

#85 seayork2002

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I was thinking more Millwall playing, well anyone original.gif, and when Middlesbrough/Geordies play Sunderland but I still have not seen any problems myself

QUOTE (BlondieUK @ 12/08/2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#86 Stinkermouse

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 12/08/2012, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jesus Millwall??? you have to pick one of the worst football clubs from the sarf east London (misspelling intentional)?? Next you'll be roping in Chelsea?  rolleyes.gif

#87 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (MummaDiva @ 11/08/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been to a few Olympics, and have found watching this one on TV to be quite .... tedious.
The spectators are appalling.  Absolutely poor form.
But I suppose, that's what you get from the home of the hooligan.

oh come ON....pot meet kettle!!

#88 DadOfPidgeons

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

I don't think I can take it much more. First it was rugby, then cricket and now the Olympics. And their female head of state is more cool than ours!!!  
One of the great things about sport is rivalry. I don't see anything wrong with the article in the OP. Winners are grinners. original.gif And I think we all "love to hate" certain people and teams. I loved it when Botham said he loves playing in front of 100,000 convicts.
I want my sports teams to win, but I REALLY want then to beat certain teams. It's great rivalries and the banter between their supporters than makes sport so great.

#89 BlondieUK

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

I would agree, to a point. Banter can tip into abuse very easily.

#90 BadCat

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

As witnessed in this very thread.

#91 BlondieUK

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

??? Did I miss something? Who is being abusive???

#92 Lolpigs

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I feel a bit sorry for our Atheletes though, the pressure for gold was immense this year, I remember seeing a young swimmer crying becuase she got silver and thought she had let down her family and everyone.. err you just got 2nd in the world.

Why was noone happy for her :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.