foods in pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fuscia11

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

hi there, i dont know if this has been posted before but was wondering how strict everyone was during their pregnancy with foods and drink. did you eat foods that you shouldnt and was baby healthy? ive got about 6 weeks to go and im getting very anxious and stressed hoping my baby is ok inside my belly! thanks   original.gif

#2 Morti

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE (fuscia11 @ 08/08/2012, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi there, i dont know if this has been posted before but was wondering how strict everyone was during their pregnancy with foods and drink. did you eat foods that you shouldnt and was baby healthy? ive got about 6 weeks to go and im getting very anxious and stressed hoping my baby is ok inside my belly! thanks   original.gif

You're not alone in feeling anxious and stressed that your baby will be ok, Fusia. original.gif  I think we all feel that way at various times throughout our 9 months (and afterward too!).

As for food and drink... well, I only ever drink springwater or filtered water, freshly squeezed juice or choc milk anyway, so I haven't had to tailor my drinking habits to pregnancy.  Although pre-pregnancy I did drink a lot of tea (herbal and black), with my early morning sickness came also an extreme aversion to tea that has continued even at times when the nausea abated.  (Actually, strangely enough, morning sickness has been a blessing in disguise for me, since I was soooooooooo sick early on that I couldn't even stomach smoking a cigarette - so I waved "goodbye" to my 3-year-long cigarette addiction without any trouble at all.  No cravings at all!)

Anyway, in regards to food, I only avoided uncooked meat, fish and meat products (due to risk of toxoplasmosis), uncooked eggs, unpasteurised milk products, blue cheeses and other cheeses like brie and camembert, too much oily fish (I cut out tuna altogether) and foods containing excessive levels of vitamin A (like foie and some pates).  Everything else I ate freely.  Nevertheless, there were times that I unwittingly had some mayonnaise containing raw egg, or ate a steak that was more medium done than well done, but I'm not worried about bubs at all.  My  Dr says he's doing well and everything seems perfectly normal... I have to take his word for it! original.gif

#3 deedee70

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

I don't avoid many foods when pregnant, I do avoid salad bars, sushi etc. Keep a close eye on best before dates and so on. Still eat soft cheese, all the aussie ones are pasteurized anyway!
I have 2 coffees in the morning, I'm horrible without my coffee so better for the entire family! LOL
Black/green Tea , I cant drink while preg, but I do drink herbal camomile , peppermint, raspberry leaf.
I dont eat meat, but I do eat seafood and the only things I avoid are prawns and oysters, I still eat smoked salmon which is apparently a no-no!

I think that the last few weeks are a time of worry for all of us, my only advice would be..whatever is done/eaten is done! Just try and enjoy the last uncomfortable, heavy weeks before your baby is born!! :-)

#4 Sar333

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I think the end seems to be a major time of worry! All this anxiety... I have been freaking out over food as well fuscia. On Monday I accidentally ate Parmesan cheese that was expired and smelled funny, didn't realise till after eating it and then on tuesday ate a bite of a rotten apple before realising! whoops Guess there's nothing I can do about it now...

#5 fuscia11

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

thanks for that!  i feel a little better! i guess in saying that,every time i go for my check ups,they tell me everything is fine, so i guess i have a healthy little bub inside me! considering he moves constantly im sure hes doing great!!!

#6 Morti

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Sar333 @ 09/08/2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the end seems to be a major time of worry! All this anxiety... I have been freaking out over food as well fuscia. On Monday I accidentally ate Parmesan cheese that was expired and smelled funny, didn't realise till after eating it and then on tuesday ate a bite of a rotten apple before realising! whoops Guess there's nothing I can do about it now...

Don't worry, Sar! I remember when I was pregnant with baby #3 I had some porridge that I had made with "off" milk (had already eaten some before I went to check the milk I'd used and it turned out that it smelt really sour!)... I freaked out, especially since I was still in the 12 week danger period of my pregnancy, and called my midwife.  She told me that rotten or off food as such isn't a danger to the baby.  Only if it was already off-limits would it be anything to consider, eg; off brie or spoilt raw fish etc.  So off parmesan cheese and a rotten apple wouldn't be a problem at all. original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.