May Babies

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 crazy jess 83

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi people... Just thought I'd try & start off the May group!
How is everyone doing with their new babies, now about 3 months?
My baby boy was born on 16/05/12 by emergency c-section. He is still BF which at the start I didn't think would happen.
I hope more people join & we can share stories! original.gif

#2 *MrsA*

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

I'd love to join the May group!!!  How are you Jess? Congratulations on the birth of your son!! I'll add another little boy to the group  biggrin.gif. Our boy was born 04/05/12 eventually via forceps. He's bottle fed now sad.gif We managed 2 weeks of breast feeding which is something I guess. I'm not sure where the months are going Lachlan is 4 months this Friday!!

How are you going? Got yourself into some sort of routine at all?

Vicki

#3 ILFC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'll join in:) my dd was born on the 17th, natural delivery. Not bf now due to severe reflux. Just beginning to enjoy her after 3 months of reflux hell. Now managed and becoming a happy little girl:)

#4 *MrsA*

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

Reflux is the pits isn't it!! Im the sane ILFC its taken this long for me to enjoy my son and getvused to being a mum I guess.. Ds is on reflux tablets which have helped us, he's a different Bub (except for tonight, no idea what was going on with him tonight!!) we had supply issues when it came to BF. but he's much happier (could be because he's not starving!) and importantly I'm happier.

#5 blithely

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

I have a May baby! DD was born by emergency CS and we have been having fun ever since. How do you guys tell the age? I've stopped counting weeks now but what is the norm? Am I supposed to answer in weeks or months?

#6 ILFC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

My dd is my second refluxer, my ds had it too but onwards and upwards now. Sleep will eventually happen lol

#7 *MrsA*

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

Hi Blithely original.gif. Not sure about everyone else but I still go week to week. So every Friday is another week older. I'm not sure if this is the right way though.... Anybody?? Should I just go to the 4th of every month??

#8 PattiODoors

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

Hello ladies, do you mind if I join you?
I have a DS born on the 14th May 2012. A few ups and downs along the way but he's doing grand now.
I'll come back in later, I have my nearly 2yo DD wanting toast and DS is on my lap, I feel there's been a bit of ' action' so he needs his bum changing. It all happens at once in this house.

ETA. I'm still talking his age in weeks. I can't remember when I changed to months with DD. Probably after the 4 month mark.

Edited by Havaianas, 21 August 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#9 *MrsA*

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Does it matter if you go weekly? Rather than Monthly? I mainly ask for needles as if i go monthly DS wont be due for needles until next month, but weekly is this week (which we've already got an apt for)

#10 ILFC

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

I go weekly for needles, so i would do 8 and 16 weeks for example

#11 *MrsA*

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks ILFC - we had a 4month old needles on Thursday. Little fella done really well. We bought a Mamas and Papas Baby snug seat today for him and he loves it!!! Seems so proud of himself siting up tall without me holding him.

How is everyone else going??? Another weekend nearly over.

#12 ILFC

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

How cute:) I've got a bumbo, that I can't wait to put dd in. They look so cute sitting in them. Time is flying past:)

#13 PattiODoors

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Just wondering, are any of you still wrapping your babies?
DS loves being wrapped. At the moment I've got him in a sleeping bag with a light muslin wrap around his arms for day sleeps and at night he is in an Ergo Cocoon zip up wrap, snug as a bug.
I heard/ read somewhere that continual wrapping isn't recommended for continual use as babies can end up with hip problems???? Hence trying him out in a sleeping bag so his legs are a bit freer but keeping his arms wrapped as he still startles himself awake. He's definitely not as comfy though.

Never had this with DD as she hated being wrapped and she was a Spring baby so the weather was warmer.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.

#14 blithely

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Havianas we're still wrapping here but we also alternate with sleeping bags as sometimes she love being wrapped other times she doesn't. We do tight arms, loose legs otherwise she houdinis out of the wrap and ends up completely uncovered wink.gif  The wrap warning is to avoid wrapping the legs tightly together. My ILs and DH wrapped too tightly and I had to show everyone the brochure the hospital provided which showed the seatbelt wrap. Which long sleeved sleeping bags can others recommend? We're in climate zone 8 so need arms covered otherwise she's an ice block by morning.

We've been away for the weekend with a bunch of childless friends. They stuck us down the end of the house next to the kitchen as they thought DD would disturb them. They then crashed and banged right at her bedtime which made it difficult to get her to sleep sad.gif  She slept perfectly all weekend and made very little noise all weekend except for her usual happy chatting ddance.gif

DH and I spoke about it on the way home and we've decided to write it off at this point as they're childless and just don't get it but live and learn. Next time we'll approach things differently from the start and speak up about things but it's likely they'll be in our position next time anyway wink.gif

Are you guys all still baby led or have some of you moved into structured days already?

Also are the Bumbo style seats OK to use for these little ones? I don't know much about them

#15 ILFC

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

I wrap with legs iykwim? Dd needs her arms wrapped down or she just wakes up. She wears a sleep suit and we have our heating on during the night.
Blithely, they need to be strong in the back and neck to sit in the bumbo and you only do it for a little while but I found it fabulous for my ds as he was a refluxer too and it was another way to be upright. I used it from four months. I plan to use it for dd if she likes it. Re: going away with childless couples, we just don't do it. They have no idea what it's like:) and tbh care even less, I'd rather have a dinner out without kids to see them:) anyway, when they have kids it will be easier with them:)

#16 crazy jess 83

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I was on here and im so happy some people have joined in!! My DS is still fully BF, but that was not without drama at the beginning!! Now I know what I know, if there's a next time we can be better prepared!    
We are still pretty much baby led with his routine.... It is a bit more structured but I still feed and sleep him on his cues. We went to Tresillian this week because I wanted to start making the transition of putting him to sleep in my arms and to be able to put him down during the day (I would have to hold him to sleep during the day and every time I put him down he would wake up). So far the new techniques are working pretty well. He just takes a while to get off to sleep at night for his long sleep.
I'm still wrapping DS, his legs aren't as tight as when he was a newborn. Are there sleeping bags that you can get that wrap their arms in?
How are your babies going with their sleeping? Are they still waking overnight for a feed?
Again, I'm so glad there is people in this group. It's good to be able to interact with mums of babies at the same age! original.gif

#17 PattiODoors

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I use the Ergo Cocoon wraps for DS, they zip up from the bottom but have two zips so when you have done it up you can then undo just the bottom for bum changes or to free their legs while keeping their arms wrapped. They also have arm holes that have poppers to open or close them. DS loves his.
I'm such a doozie, I was putting DS in a sleeping bag then wrapping his arms in a muslin wrap ( which he freed himself from) for day sleeps. Then I twigged while changing him one night, why not just use the zip up wraps with the legs free instead. The joys of sleep deprivation!

Crazy Jess, DS is still waking during the night for a feed. He has been formula fed since 8 weeks ( he was admitted to hospital with a respiratory infection and failure to thrive, he had EBM with added calories and formula during this time. The little tacker wouldn't then go back to the breast despite all our efforts from the lactation team and the docs  sad.gif but he's thriving now so its all good!). I have heard that FF babies apparently sleep longer. Not our DS!
He can go anywhere between 5 and 7 hours between feeds during the night. I let him lead the way, his usual routine is feed at 6pm, sleep at 7pm, wake between 11pm and 1am, feed and straight back to bed, then wake between 4 and 7am. I'm quite enjoying watching the Paralympics during the night. I enjoyed the Olympics too, we timed having the babies well for night viewing.

Just wondering how all your babies are after the 4 month vax?
We've got to hold off on DS's for a week or two. My nearly 2yo DD goes to daycare once a week, anyway I had a call from them in the week, they had a confirmed case of whooping cough with a little one that attends on the same day as DD. Gahhhh! DD had developed a cough earlier in the week so I took her and DS to the GP for a look see. They've both been swabbed, just to check, GP thinks its doubtful. But she wants to hold off on DS's vax until the all clear comes back.

Have you all thought about Christmas presents for your little ones yet? I know its only September but hey, the silly season will be upon us soon. Yikes!
I'm struggling with DS as DD has lots of "baby" toys and as she's only 19 months older, it's all in good condition. We have heaps of books. I have seen a chunky wooden train that spells your child's name with each letter as a carriage. Other than clothes, I'm stumped!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend and your DP/DH's are enjoying Father's Day. x

#18 blithely

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I know you're all talking about 4month vax but I've looked in my blue book and I'm sure the next visit at 6 months. What states are you in?

ETA gah I just checked my book again and found the vax schedule ohmy.gif The layout of the blue book could be more helpful to sleep deprived mamas.

I'm really struggling right now as I'm exhausted, still malnourished and DD is obviously having a growth spurt. She's feeding pretty much right through the morning.

Edited by blithely, 03 September 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#19 ILFC

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Blithely, what do you mean malnourished? If you are, is your baby putting on weight?

#20 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

HI! I would like to join the May group too original.gif I have a girl born 22/5 three weeks earlier than her due date, but after a week in special care for jaundice and feeding issues she is going great! feeding issues aside (my milk didn't come through properly so had to take medication for the first 2 months , and I am still using nipple shields) she is an easy going bub has a happy temperament and has recently decided to occasionally sleep through the night woo!
How is everyone coping with motherhood? I love it, but as a first time mum my expectations of certain aspects of parenthood were defiantly seen through rose colored glasses! haha

#21 ILFC

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Welcome glorious! Im finding it better the older dd gets:) second time around for me. Glad to hear of the sleeping through the night yay!

#22 *MrsA*

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi ladies, I haven't posted in a while to be honest I forget where i post, then stumble across a thread and it jogs my memory!! Anyway how is everyone? We are doing well, I've  just survived my first week on my own and am exhausted! Into a pretty good routine with bub sleeping all night most of the time. He's not keen on his daytime sleeps (which I shouldn't complain!) but it does make for a cranky baby in the afternoons. He' s still wrapped and bottle fed, starting solids next week that should be fun! And we are rolling desperately trying to move but getting nowhere!!

#23 PattiODoors

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hello all,
All going well here too.
DS is going great guns, he had IUGR at birth ( due to my pre eclampsia) and he was failing to thrive at 7 weeks old but he has caught up really well and weighed 6.4kg at his 4 month immunisation and check up.
He is formula fed now and he has been sampling solids since last week. So far he has tried apple puree, pear puree and avocado puree- all big hits! Farex rice cereal mixed with formula- blehhhhh, wouldn't have a bar of it. Funny enough my now 2yo DD was the same, hated rice cereal.
He is no longer wrapped for sleep, he is still in his Ergo Pouches but with his arms out. He likes to feel material with his little fingers while he is settling off to sleep. I have cut a square from an old wrap for him to nuzzle and feel, so cute seeing him drift off while stroking the square of material.
Like MrsA, we are in a pretty good routine too. He's less keen on sleeping in the day, has a few catnaps, then cranky as all get out by 6pm. Bathed, fed and bed by 7pm, sleeps till 3am, fed, back to bed, sleeps till 7am.
We now have DS and DD in the same room. They don't seem to disturb each other which is great. DD is in a bed, she wakes around 6am and creeps into us without waking him. I have found a few items pushed through the bars of DS's cot though, a Maisy book and a plastic building brick this morning...
DS is rolling from tummy to back but not back to tummy yet, he tries bloody hard though.

Hope you ladies and your chubby bubbies are all well?

#24 ILFC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

All good here having hit the magic six month mark. Eating solids well and nearly crawling. Still wrappped lol but if it ain't broken don't fix it ha ha

#25 crazy jess 83

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hey ladies! I haven't been on in a while! Been busy...I went back to work part time in November... Gee that was hard! And shortly I'll be back full time!
How's everyone keeping??
My DS just cut 2 of his teeth this week which explains why he has been such a grizzle bum lately!! Poor little thing! Must be horrible for them! I've had to give him Panasonic at night a few times... Any one else done this? My hubby is paranoid that giving him panadol while his young will ruin his liver... But it's the only way at night that he will sleep for more than an hour at a time!!
Anyone else still wrapping? I am using the ergo cocoon but he moves around so much in it I think he needs something tighter... But not sure what to try! He is rolling during the night now too which is so frustrating because he wakes up and is hard to get back to sleep... I usually just breast feed him back to sleep!
Is every one in a routine... I'm not in a structured one yet, and I'm not really sure how to go about it! Especially at night... Everyone says I should have him down by 7-7.30 but if he goes to sleep then, he'll wake up for 2 feeds through the night... Is that normal?

Take care

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.