Rythmic gymnastics
Should it be an Olympic sport?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

So..(pardon the spelling, am on iPad and am slightly squiffy)... But rythmic gymnastics.....what are your thoughts? I enjoy watching it, and admire  them for their skills, DH though, he thinks it's ridiculous, and not "worthy" of an Olympic imprimatur .....

#2 Silly Sausages

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

my dh thinks the same too. I think it takes a lot of skill. certainly more worthy as an olympic sport than the equestrian and dressage.  rolleyes.gif

#3 wiggles

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

DH thinks it looks like "fancy dancing" (his words). I really like it. Probably because I used to do gymnastics.

#4 kpingitquiet

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

We both think they're impressive. I don't find it any less worthy than Badminton, Table Tennis, or Beach Volleyball.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

If they can have BMX, they can have fancy dancing.

#6 MummaDiva

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

It's good if you like Cirque de Soleil.
I find it a bit ridiculous, along with synchro swimming and trampolining, but then again, I prefer true sports like equestrian.

#7 Fossy

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ugh, wish they'd stop showing it. At least it encourages me to go to bed early!

#8 BadCat

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I think calling it gymnastics is a bit dodgy.  Call it what is is - dance with props.

I don't think it belongs in the olympics.  But I don't think basketball, football, or tennis belong there either, for entirely different reasons.  Since it's not my job to decide what gets in and what doesn't I just exercise my right to watch or not.

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

QUOTE (howdo @ 10/08/2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they can have BMX, they can have fancy dancing.

True!

I don't mind it, and I quite like the equestrian .....synchro swimming I do not get. At all.

#10 JAPNII

I love it and so do the kids. Certainly better than watching some sports IMO.

#11 *Lib*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

I think of Olympic sports like track and field and swimming. And thats it.

Tennis??? Dont they win enough playing normally?

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 10/08/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think of Olympic sports like track and field and swimming. And thats it.

Tennis??? Dont they win enough playing normally?

Yes, that a good point...wasn't the whole reason for the Olympics initially for amateurs...?

#13 BadCat

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

Yeah but it has't been about amateurs for donkey's years.

#14 busymum01

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

DH and I were watching it last night our conversation went like this:

DH:  "that ball must be sticky for her to be able to do that"
Me: "sweetheart, gymnasts don't have sticky balls, they just manipulate them well"

Cue hysterical laughter. Juvenile yes.

I like it, it's clever, but then I also like the BMX racing...

#15 kpingitquiet

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 10/08/2012, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that a good point...wasn't the whole reason for the Olympics initially for amateurs...?

Yeah, but they ran into a problem of gold medals not representing the actual best in a particular sport. How could you give a gold medal to, say, the 1992 Croatian basketball team, if they were not in fact beating the best the US (for example) had to offer? The best were in the NBA. Anyone sent over for an Olympics that was amateur-only would clearly not have been good enough to be NBA, and not have been the best. Thus, the Dream Team happened.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

It was also initially about individuals, not countries.

#17 JRA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 10/08/2012, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think calling it gymnastics is a bit dodgy.  Call it what is is - dance with props.

I don't think it belongs in the olympics.  But I don't think basketball, football, or tennis belong there either, for entirely different reasons.  Since it's not my job to decide what gets in and what doesn't I just exercise my right to watch or not.

Exactly

Without a doubt the rhythmic is skilled and I must say impressive, but so is a circus

On the other point, football does not have the best competing, it makes it a farce.

Tennis just seems wrong, but it will be worse with golf

#18 F.E.B.E

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

We love it. The flexibility and timing on display in mind-boggling!

#19 Fourteenyears

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

Throwing a stick is a sport (javelin), backflips are a sport (gymnastics) so I don't see why throwing a stick with a ribbon on it, doing multiple backflips, then catching it shouldn't also qualify.

#20 blackmetallic

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Love rhythmic gymnastics, actually watching it now!
I think it's a good sport, it's visually interesting and skilful, as well as entertaining, worthy of a place in the Olympics. (Like synchronised swimming original.gif)
Have you ever tried doing this sport? There are many elements to master (ball, ribbon, hoop, clubs, ropes not to mention the gymnastic/dance/flexibility part), it's actually pretty hard!

#21 jojonbeanie

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

I love it. Any event where they have to wear sequins gets my vote every time.

#22 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I used to do Rhythmic Gymnastics. You require incredible strength, flexibility, fitness as well as artistry and the ability to manipulate an iinaminate object pleasingly. Probably why i wasn't very good at it lol. Routines have ot incorporate set moves into them, and more difficulty is required to get better scores. Definitely should be there.

#23 casime

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

You go out and give it a try to their standards, then come back and argue it isn't a sport.

#24 Niamh23

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 11/08/2012, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You go out and give it a try to their standards, then come back and argue it isn't a sport.

Exactly. Same with synchronised swimming. Have a try next time you're in the pool - it's one of the most physically demanding sports out there.

I wonder, is it the fact that these are "women's" sports that makes people question their worthiness to be in the Olympics?

#25 somila

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

Love it.  Can't believe people question that it is a sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.