Rythmic gymnastics
Should it be an Olympic sport?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 casime

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

I wonder, is itthe factthattheseare "women's" sports that makespeople question their worthiness to be in the Olympics?

I think it's just something different to what "they" consider to be a sport that they have experienced.  We recently had our nationals and sunrise sent their weatherman out for the morning.  He made all the usual jokes we hear, the usual comments.  Then we handed him a dog and sent him out on a course.  Let's just say he had a new respect after that!

#27 Unatheowl

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

My dh thinks that anything that is not objectively measured, like running or throwing, should be out.  It would be a very short Olympics for my dh original.gif

#28 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

I can't believe I've now seen the same sparkly lady throw a hoop in the air FOUR times, but saw NONE of the artistic womens team final...seriously stabby now!

I tend to agree with your husband...chucking a ball in the air while spinning around in sequins is not really a sport, impressive yes, sport...no.

I think the same about synchronised swimming.

#29 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 11/08/2012, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. Same with synchronised swimming. Have a try next time you're in the pool - it's one of the most physically demanding sports out there.

I wonder, is it the fact that these are "women's" sports that makes people question their worthiness to be in the Olympics?

There are lots of things that are physicially demanding...ballet, opera singing, stage acting, taking my twins to the zoo during the school holidays...no one would argue that these are sports.

I don't think this is a reflection of them being 'womens' sports at all, it's a reflection of the fact that they are more art than sport. There are also hundreds of sports that are left off the olympics that are seriously worthy of the olympic stage, I think that annoys people too.

#30 tothebeach

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

If they can have BMX, they can have fancy dancing.

I think that BMX is great and a very worthy Olympic sport.  Rhythmic gymnastics is physically demanding but any sport that requires music, sequins and stage makeup - for me- crosses the line from sport to performance.

I wonder, is it the fact that these are "women's" sports that makes people question their worthiness to be in the Olympics?

There are no men's sports and women's sports in the Olympics - except for rhythmic gymnastics and synch. swimming - which is part of the reason that I think that it should be out of the Olympics.  All other events have both sexes competing.

Mind you, I think that equestrian should go too -  it may be faster, higher, stronger but that refers to the horse, not the individual.

#31 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (jojonbeanie @ 10/08/2012, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love it. Any event where they have to wear sequins gets my vote every time.

LOL.  I love all the gymnastic events, but I think the rhythmic gymnastics is incredible to watch.  I'm also a bit partial to a bit of synchronised swimming!

I'm sure I heard a bit of discussion on the radio about these 2 "women only" sports, but it was along the lines of having mens events added, not women removed.

Edited by shmach, 11 August 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#32 Pretz

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 10/08/2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We both think they're impressive. I don't find it any less worthy than Badminton, Table Tennis, or Beach Volleyball.

I agree with this.
I think it is very clever what they do, but it's something I'd expect in a circus.

I don't really think of it as being worth a gold medal, but there are plenty of other sports that I qestion
as being included in the Summer Olympics too;
-synchronised swimming (it's so hideous with no redeeming qualities)
-BMX
- Table Tennis
-badminton
-golf (it's so boring. There are plenty of tournaments and it doesn't seem a really universal sport to me)
-boxing (punching the c#@P out of someone is not worthy of being called a sport IMO)
-walking (I have edited my list to add this. It looks like they're desperate to get to a toilet. Really pathetic!
-wrestling
-beach volleyball. Regular volleyball is enough. This is just seems to be a perve fest...
-handball
-tennis (they have enought ournaments and glory elsewhere)

For the Winter Olympics;
-Curling. It has to be the most boring, dull and pointless inclusion.
- Ice dance sick.gif

I suppose the question is, what criteria make a sport worthy of inclusion in the Olympics?

Edited by Pretz, 11 August 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#33 Neeps

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Rythmic gymnastics and synchronised swimming could both be gone. But I would also add to the list the walking race. One may as well have hopping as an Olympic sport.

Mind you, I think that equestrian should go too - it may be faster, higher, stronger but that refers to the horse, not the individual.

You could say the same about sailing.

#34 Unatheowl

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Peevish Mouse @ 11/08/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rythmic gymnastics and synchronised swimming could both be gone. But I would also add to the list the walking race. One may as well have hopping as an Olympic sport.

Haha, you and my dh would get along well!

Actually, he extrapolates this to the Paralympics too.  Either you're the fastest person in the world, or you're not, for whatever reason.  He doesn't like the "I'm not a good runner so I'll be the best of the runners who aren't very good" thing.

Edited by Unatheowl, 11 August 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#35 Pretz

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (tothebeach @ 11/08/2012, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mind you, I think that equestrian should go too -  it may be faster, higher, stronger but that refers to the horse, not the individual.

So, are you saying that you could ride those horse as well as the Olympic riders?

Riders do have to be very skillful in handling a horse. I used to do some show jumping, and if you think that it is all about the horse, you are very much mistaken.

Personally, I find dressage incredibly boring, but the riders have to put in a lot of work to train their horses.

#36 BetteBoop

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

It's the sole reason I've watched the Olympics this year. I know people can run and swim fast but it's not terribly entertaining to watch.

The gymnasts are incredible athletes. It's predictable that traditional female sports are derided as being not a real, proper sports but you can see the skill and hours of hard work in what they do.

Plus, they're all sparkly.

#37 Pretz

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

I was wondering about how a sport gets into the Olympics. I found this brief explanation on an Olympic website.

How does a sport become Olympic?

To make it onto the Olympic programme, a sport first has to be recognised: it must be administered by an International Federation which ensures that the sport's activities follow the Olympic Charter. If it is widely practised around the world and meets a number of criteria established by the IOC session, a recognised sport may be added to the Olympic programme on the recommendation of the IOC's Olympic Programme Commission.

I remember when Baseball was removed from the Olympic programme. Quite a few people I knew and worked with were upset about it.

#38 Gumbette

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (somila @ 11/08/2012, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love it.  Can't believe people question that it is a sport.

Same here. I can stay up till dawn watching it.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but has anyone questioned BMX riding as a sport???? huh.gif

#39 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Rhythmic gymnastics is physically demanding but any sport that requires music, sequins and stage makeup - for me- crosses the line from sport to performance.

That rules out Ice Skating in the winter Olympics. Which is one of the most popular events at the Winter games.

Badminton and Tennis are in the Olympics. Rhythmic Gymnastics should definitely be there! It's an incredibly hard thing to do and those girls train for years to get to the top. I don't think hitting a shuttlecock over a net is even in the same league!

#40 **Xena**

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

I find it very much a sport. It's very physically demanding and I think the fact that it's also entertaining to watch doesn't negate it from being a sport. A definition of sport is: a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Rhythmic gymnastics certainly qualifies for this.

There has been a lot of debate lately about making pole dancing an Olympic sport, it also has sequins and music but you can't tell me it isn't on par with gymnastics:

#41 PatG

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Not every Olympic sport is included in every games.  I think that ballroom dancing qualifies but has never been included.  

As for equestrian, apart from being a very difficult sport which requires as much training as anything else (it is certainly not just the horse's skill!) I love it as it is the only olympic sport that has men and women competing on equal terms.

I don't get the people who don't think table tennis should be included - why not?  Highly competitive, very skillful etc....

#42 WinterIsComing

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

They are amaing athletes and train ridiculously hard, some since the age of 2. Well, that's exception, but age 4 is not uncommon.

Coordination, core strength, flexibility, speed - all incredible.

My DH enjoys it..rather too much I'd say!  rant.gif

Hehe

#43 BadCat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 11/08/2012, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. Same with synchronised swimming. Have a try next time you're in the pool - it's one of the most physically demanding sports out there.

I agree that it's physically demanding.  And the skill is amazing.  And it's nothing at all to do with being a women's sport as far as I'm concerned.

It's a fine line between what consititues a sport and what doesn't.  And it's a line each draws for themselves.  

For me, I don't get why people are questioning BMX.  Any other cycle sport is OK, but put bumps in the track and it's not a sport?  Whereas with rhythmic gymnastics they've taken out almost everything that makes gymnastics what it is.  They've taken a floor routine, taken out the tumbling runs, increased the dance elements, and added a prop.  But, you know, whatever floats your boat.  I don't have to watch it, and you don't have to watch BMX.

#44 BeAwesome

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've got family involved in BMX, so I love getting to see some of it.

Also love the rhythmic gymnastics.

No one can say tennis isn't a sport, but I'd say it's my least favourite olympic event, you get to see enough tennis throughout the year.

(I actually do like tennis, just not at the olympics).

#45 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (busymum01 @ 10/08/2012, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH and I were watching it last night our conversation went like this:

DH:  "that ball must be sticky for her to be able to do that"
Me: "sweetheart, gymnasts don't have sticky balls, they just manipulate them well"

Cue hysterical laughter. Juvenile yes.

biggrin.gif I'm juvenile too, that made me lol. Not good when i need to pee

edit weird dp

Edited by squeekums, 11 August 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#46 #YKG

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (Pretz @ 11/08/2012, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose the question is, what criteria make a sport worthy of inclusion in the Olympics?

Here you go the IOC criteria of sport worthy inclusion http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Commissio...plines.docx.pdf

TBH the gymnists train 8+ hours a day 7 days just training to compete. Not sure how many hours or days a sport like Golf requires in the person playing on the course.

A friend I went to uni with competed in syncro swimming in Beijing and have seen her compete. She is incredibly fit and takes such strength to tread water and holding your breath for extended periods. It takes a lot not as easy as either sport may look

#47 Unatheowl

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I recently learnt on qi that the Olympics was originally about celebrating excellence in amateurs.  Events included poetry, town planning and sculpture and were included up until the 40's.
So I spose if you're saying it's going soft and taking a wrong turn, that wrong turn was taken at the turn of the century  biggrin.gif.  It's gained a sports focus since then.

Edited by Unatheowl, 11 August 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#48 HRH Countrymel

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I love it!

The original modern Olympics had Poetry Writing and Town Planning as medal winning events.... what would your husband make of that OP!

And to the curling hate.... Curling is REALLY popular in many countries, unlike swimming which doesn't have 1/2 the interest anywhere else that it does here!

#49 BetteBoop

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (YellowKittyGlenn @ 11/08/2012, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH the gymnists train 8+ hours a day 7 days just training to compete. Not sure how many hours or days a sport like Golf requires in the person playing on the course.

I'd be surprised if golfers practise as much or as long as rhythmic gymnasts.

Besides, golfers wear plaid with knee high socks. They should be disqualified from the Olympics on that basis alone.

#50 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Nat1976 @ 11/08/2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are amaing athletes and train ridiculously hard, some since the age of 2. Well, that's exception, but age 4 is not uncommon.

Coordination, core strength, flexibility, speed - all incredible.

My DH enjoys it..rather too much I'd say!  rant.gif

Hehe

Ha! Lucky then they don't do it ancient Greek style...ie in their birthday suits!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.