Rythmic gymnastics
Should it be an Olympic sport?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 Niamh23

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (prettypenny @ 11/08/2012, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did artistic gymnastics (the original or proper gymnastics if you will) growing up and rhythmic gymnastics was viewed as the poor cousin. Sort of what you went into if you sustained an injury doing real gymnastics.

That might be what artistic gymnasts like to believe...from what I've heard, rhythmic is generally for the girls who are too tall for artistic. And in countries like Russia, they select girls when they are still practically babies in order to train them up for rhythmic. It's not something they go into just because they couldn't make it in another sport.

Edited by Niamh23, 11 August 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#77 protart roflcoptor

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Rhythmic is incredibly popular and super competitive in Europe. It just doesn't have the same following or feeding on of athletes that Artistic has in Australia, or the USA for example.

Yes, there is a high element of grace and fluidity involved but the judging has a lot to do with how the apparatus is handled, thrown, caught and utilised. When competing in apparatus (not freestyle) they can be as fancy and dancy as anything but will score poorly if they don't do the correct thing with the apparatus.

Now how about Acrobatic Gymnastics? That's not an Olympic sport yet has so many of the elements of Artistic in it, minus the fixed apparatus. It has strength, flexibility, tumbling, artistry...and men and women can compete in pairs and groups.

Oh well, just have to catch it at the World Titles next month. (that's where the Rhythmic gymnasts are going next as well).

#78 somila

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 11/08/2012, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Props.  Apparatus.  Whatever.  laughing2.gif

Rhythmic gymnastics is borderline for me, but on the wrong side of the line.

Synch swimming is way on the wrong side of the line for me though. And yes, I know it's skillful and they're really fit and all, but I just find it too weird to bother with.  Actually I did manage to give it a fair trial some number of olympics ago, but they really lost me when they announced the solo sychronised swimming.  WTF?  Synchronised with their imaginary friends?  Synchronised watches?  Synchronised chromomesh gears inside the robot swimmers?  What on earth were they thinking with that one?  laughing2.gif

Synchronised with the music perhaps?  tongue.gif

Just extrapolating ...

The vault is long jump with props.
The beam is walking with props.
The uneven bars are high jump with props.
Not sure about the rest.  original.gif  

#79 bluedragon

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

I don't understand what the problem with Badminton is, has anyone tried to play a proper match? It is a very demanding sport, requires great speed and agility, powerful and explosive movment, not to mention great skill and accuracy. The fitness required to play an entire match is very high. Just because a few people were disqualified doesn't Mean the whole sport should be removed, that would be like saying because a few sprinters and cyclists have been caught taking steroids we should remove athletics and cycling.

Personally I'm for having as many sports as possible, I'm not particularly interested in rhythmic gymnastics or synchronised swimming but I can appreciate the effort and training gone into them. Some of the most interesting things I've watched over the years have been from sports I knew very little about, that's one of the great things about the Olympics, you get to see so many sports you're not normally exposed to.

EFS and to add I love watching the Paralympics, amazing to see what people can achieve with a not so perfect body.

Edited by bluedragon, 11 August 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#80 Chocolate Addict

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

Anyone ever tried the rhythmic gymnastics or synchronised swimming on the Wii?? Bloody funny and hard. wink.gif (Mario and sonic at the 2012 Olympics - highly recommend)

When did BMX become an event? I did a double take when I heard it was in.

#81 mokeydoke

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

I watched it today and was amazed. I think a sport is something that uses your muscles and can be scored in some way. I'm surprised dancing isn't in the Olympics, I'm also surprised (through watching Dance Moms!) at the level of gymnastics that is in dance.

#82 JRA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

Oh those Russians!!!!!

Did you just see the group ball routine. Bloody hell

#83 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Unbelievable ball skills. ohmy.gif
I can only imagine the training and practice involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.