Second place in the Walk?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Er... how is Jared Tallent in second place if there are like a bunch of guys between him and the first place dude?

Did he lap them or something?

*confused*

#2 Starrydawn

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yes he would of lapped them.

#3 Sunny003

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm thinking he lapped them, yes.

Took me a while to come up with that though wink.gif

#4 tothebeach

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Still trying to understand the point of the walk, an Olympic event where you actually have to check your speed/technique.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, well I'm too brain dead to come up with it myself, I needed to check with someone else Tounge1.gif

Edited by howdo, 11 August 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#6 Colleer

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

I cannot believe they have been going at hat pace for three and a half hours!

#7 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Oh, is the walk on now? Was hoping to watch that with DD, she is out fishing with her grandfather. The walk is her best event. sad.gif

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (tothebeach @ 11/08/2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still trying to understand the point of the walk, an Olympic event where you actually have to check your speed/technique.

It's because it can't be a 'run'. original.gif
My brother was a walker, they all get disqualified several times in their career sad.gif They must have one part of the foot on the ground at all times and the leg needs to be locked at the knee as they step forward or it is seen as running.
It's a weird looking thing and very difficult to keep up the technique for 50 kms.

#9 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well done to Jared anyway for PB, breaking the old OR and Silver medal.

Not a bad outing wink.gif

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 11/08/2012, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done to Jared anyway for PB, breaking the old OR and Silver medal.

Not a bad outing wink.gif

Excellent but gosh, how good was the guy who won? He was no spring chicken.

#11 Becs

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

He still looked pretty fresh the Russian guy! Must be soooo hard not to want to break into a run near the end.

I find it really disappointing that these long distance events are not finished off in the Olympic stadium. No atmosphere. Was the same with marathon and triathlon. so much better when they go into the stadium for the last lap or two!

#12 Jupiter123

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/08/2012, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Benjamin Button" as the commentators are calling him, is only 32. I thought he was much older until I heard his age.

As for the race, well done to all. It certainly takes some skill and raw determination to go that hard for 50kms. I was exhausted just watching them lol

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/08/2012, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erm ... he's 32 ...

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Becs @ 11/08/2012, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He still looked pretty fresh the Russian guy! Must be soooo hard not to want to break into a run near the end.

I find it really disappointing that these long distance events are not finished off in the Olympic stadium. No atmosphere. Was the same with marathon and triathlon. so much better when they go into the stadium for the last lap or two!

I am pretty sure that the 50 km walk and the Marathon both finished in the stadium here in Sydney , I agree that they all should finish off in front of a crowd.
Weird how the warmest day of the entire Olympics occurs on the day that rain would have been appreciated. sad.gif

#15 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Can't fathom why, of all the available sporting activities, anyone would choose race walking.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 11/08/2012, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erm ... he's 32 ...

The Russian guy? Oops , I thought they said 42 and was thinking he was quite a legend.

#17 Becs

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Looks 42! Premature balding wink.gif

I was comparing to Sydney as well for the finish of distance events surely over 50klms they could end up somewhere near the stadium.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Becs @ 11/08/2012, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks 42! Premature balding wink.gif

I was comparing to Sydney as well for the finish of distance events surely over 50klms they could end up somewhere near the stadium.

For sure they should organise it better. I remember visions of people running/walking into the stadium and getting a huge ovation which helps carry then across the line before they've collapsed sad.gif
I don't think there is too much happening in the stadium today, maybe they don't have a crowd.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Did they want to show off the city of London and the stadium was too far away/has no clear route?

Edited by howdo, 11 August 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#20 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

Traditionally it is supposed to end in the stadium but apparently the stadium isn't located in a particularly nice part of London (hackney?) so they don't want any events going through there instead of through the nice scenic areas.

#21 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, that too ...

#22 Becs

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Well thats a shame...

#23 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

No excuses, there's more walking tomorrow. Beki Lee will be competing.

#24 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Can't fathom why, of all the available sporting activities, anyone would choose
race walking.

Because, like any other sport, some people are interested in it and have natural talent for it. My daughter isn't very good at running, throwing, jumping or hurdling, but she has enough stamina and a natural walking technique to make a good walker. It's offered in both little aths and senior athletics, so I would assume, just like my daughter, others would have given it a go and enjoyed it.

I also enjoy walking, it's actually a very good work out. For someone trying to loose weight, I can burn much more cals race walking in the same amount of time as running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.