Highlights of the 2012 Olympics

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

With the Games wrapping up for another 4 years what were your highlights from the 2012 Olympics?

My favourite winning reaction was when Mo Farah won the 5000m gold original.gif

I loved Brittany Browden's silver medal diving too, as well as the Tom Daley from GB winning bronze.

#2 prettypenny

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Have to agree OP, Mo Farah's 5000m was amazing. I couldn't believe with one lap to go there were 6 runners still bunched up and yet he won easily.

I loved the start of the Men's 100m track, it's like a circus with all these men posing, flexing and basically hamming it up. Better yet they all walked the walked after talking the talk (well only Powell didn't go sub 10sec).

Of course Sally Pearson, to have so much pressure and be so humble in victory- awesome.

Unfortunately my highlights can only come from what channel nine chose to broadcast. I missed 98% of the women's gymnastics but what I did see was brilliant.

Am looking forward to the closing ceremony as I love a lot of Brit music. I don't even mind the Spice Girls unsure.gif

#3 Let-it-go

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

The moment when Sally Pearson realises she has won.  Priceless.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I also loved Anna Meares talking after she won.

To me these two ladies were my highlight from the Aust team.  Such hardworking, humble amazing athletes.  No pre-race arrogance like so many other athletes.

#4 zande

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

To me these two ladies were my highlight from the Aust team. Such hardworking, humble amazing athletes. No pre-race arrogance like so many other athletes.

Agree totally with this. They just quietly got on with the job. Maybe in future they could hire these 2 to mentor some of the swimming team.

#5 JRA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

The 100/200m circus is awesome, I love those guys

On the Aussie front, Jessica Fox I think has to be my highlight.

I think Brittany is pretty amazing as well.

Edited by JRA, 12 August 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#6 Three Of Hearts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I don't know if they showed it on Channel 9 but the most memorable moment for me was in the men's hurdles qualifying.  

The competitor from China (who was coming back from injury) snapped his achilles tendon as he tried to jump the first hurdle.  He refused help & a wheelchair from the volunteers, and after everyone else had finished their race he got back onto the field and hopped the whole thing on his good foot.  When he got to the last row of hurdles, he went in and kissed the middle one and then hopped his way over the finish line.  Only once he'd finished did he accept help from his fellow competitors, who in turn held him up to the crowd.  

They said afterwards that he went in and kissed the hurdle as a way of saying goodbye, because he knew he was done forever with the sport.

That brought a tear to my eye!!

#7 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 12/08/2012, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if they showed it on Channel 9 but the most memorable moment for me was in the men's hurdles qualifying.  

The competitor from China (who was coming back from injury) snapped his achilles tendon as he tried to jump the first hurdle.  He refused help & a wheelchair from the volunteers, and after everyone else had finished their race he got back onto the field and hopped the whole thing on his good foot.  When he got to the last row of hurdles, he went in and kissed the middle one and then hopped his way over the finish line.  Only once he'd finished did he accept help from his fellow competitors, who in turn held him up to the crowd.  

They said afterwards that he went in and kissed the hurdle as a way of saying goodbye, because he knew he was done forever with the sport.

That brought a tear to my eye!!

just reading that brings a tear to my eye Allie_D

#8 PixieVee

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Oh god, I hate the hamming up of the athletes before the 100/200m sprints. So vile.

My highlight would have to be Anna Meares. She is so deserving and so lovely and I am just SO happy she got the gold.

#9 BlondieUK

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

My highlight (and I'm sorry if this makes some of you jealous!) was going to see the final athletics evening last night:

I watched the Bronze medal men's hockey match from the hill - but didn;t dare to cheer when we scored!
I saw Mo Farrah win the 5000m
Saw Jamaica win the 4 x 100.
I saw the mini Mini Coppers bringing the javelins back (very funny)
Hear the crowd roar when Tom Daley's Bronze medal was announced (very pleased for him - such a gracious young man, with a huge amount of pressure, not to mention still grieving for his Dad - unfailingly generous to fans and polite to the media).

The atmosphere at Olympic Park was unreal original.gif original.gif original.gif

#10 JRA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Oh  Blondie I am incredibly jealous

We have tickets for the final day of the champions trophy (hockey) for december, but would have loved to have been there fore the hockey

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

I loved the atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium (not this year lol). I wanna go to the Olympics again one day!

*puts it on bucket list*

#12 Therese

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

BlondieUK I am very jealous original.gif

I loved watching Anna Meares win original.gif I think it was my favorite moment original.gif

#13 Berndt Tőst

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Never mind the sport, without a doubt the highlight will be Wham! performing at the closing ceremony.

#14 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Wham!

Srsly?!?!?!?

Tee hee

#15 Mozzie1

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

I had tears when the British girls won the rowing doubles - first gold medal for GB for the games, and the first time that event had ever been won by GB. When they cried on the podium, so did I.

Also watching Leisel Jones go out with a bang in the relay.

#16 Berndt Tőst

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 12/08/2012, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wham!

Srsly?!?!?!?

Tee hee

I can't pretend to be ironic...I'm like Pavlov's dog at the mere mention.

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'd heard 1D, I'd heard Spice Girls but no one told me Wham! was bringing it! Now I'm excited.

#18 bikingbubs

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Anna Meares winning gold.
Also loved when they showed Anna & Sally Pearson hugging when they saw each other at the athletes village original.gif
The won silver on the same night in Beijing and gold on the same night in London original.gif

#19 BadCat

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

A different kind of highlight - The commitment to finish shown by many athletes.

Track runners who do a hammie and hobble the rest of the distance just to finish.

The young fellow in the 10km swim who finished something like 16 minutes behind the leader and swam in alone and proud to the massive cheers of the crowd.

The men who were giving everything they had to get over the line in the 50km walk.  So many made it to the line and then pretty much collapsed in someone's arms immediately over the line.

The commitment to finish blows me away.  It's always one of my favourite things in the olympics.

#20 Tilly007

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Allyson Felix winning the 200m - she is such a beautiful runner and such a deserved winner.

David Rodeschi winning the men's 800m and smashing the world record - just an incredible run.

The US women smashing the world record in the 4  x 100m - that record had stood for 27 years!

#21 F.E.B.E

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

I liked...
*Sally Pearson's hurdles win - the tension when she didn't know if she was 1st or 2nd
*Mens 800m - David Rashida ran so beautifully
*Women's triathalon - so close! Plus Erin Densham ran so well
*Tom Slingsby battling GB in the laser class sailing, more tactical than I expected

#22 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 12/08/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A different kind of highlight - The commitment to finish shown by many athletes.

Track runners who do a hammie and hobble the rest of the distance just to finish.

The young fellow in the 10km swim who finished something like 16 minutes behind the leader and swam in alone and proud to the massive cheers of the crowd.

The men who were giving everything they had to get over the line in the 50km walk.  So many made it to the line and then pretty much collapsed in someone's arms immediately over the line.

The commitment to finish blows me away.  It's always one of my favourite things in the olympics.

Agree with this 100%. Such commitment, determination and pride, possibly even more inspiring than the athletes winning gold IMO.

The Brunei, Qatar and Saudi female athletes, what a huge step forward for their country and the reaction to them by the crowd showed how well this inclusion was received by other countries. Fantastically strong women.

#23 BadCat

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (GoneWithTheWhinge @ 12/08/2012, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Brunei, Qatar and Saudi female athletes, what a huge step forward for their country and the reaction to them by the crowd showed how well this inclusion was received by other countries. Fantastically strong women.

I agree with this too.  

And Tahmina Kohistani of Afghanistan who ran in the 100m race wearing headgear and clothes that covered her arms and legs.  After the race she was asked how she felt and said it was scary being in front of all these people.  I don't think she was talking about stage fright.  I think she was talking about being an Afghani woman who is brave enough to put herself out there in such a way.  She spoke of how tough it was to even get there and how she hoped she would inspire other women in her country.

#24 canuckmel

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

To throw in a bit of Canadian perspective, seeing one of my dear friend's daughter compete in the gymnastics event where they had their highest ever placing as lovely to see. Had to download the event, but they did wonderfully.

#25 greengoddess

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

- Mo Farrah's two golds

Not quite in the same class as the above, but watching one of my students in the modern pentathlon. He only knew about a week or two before the Olympics that he'd be competing (someone dropped out and he was next on the list). He's only young but put in a fair showing (25/36!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.