Closing ceremony
Good, bad or indifferent?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 tothebeach

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Is anyone watching this now or is it just me because DS1 is away and I don't have to get kids ready for school?

#2 girltribe4

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Watching it here biggrin.gif My eldest 3 just left for school and DD#4 is upset I won't put Dora on rolleyes.gif .

I have a FDC child coming in 20 mins though so I will have to record the rest.

#3 Iliketoflounce

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'm kind of watching it with the help of my 2yo nephew

#4 Fourteenyears

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

It has been fabulous.  Very partytastic.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

Set my alarm to make sure I was awake. It is awesome!

#6 PattiODoors

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Yep, watching it now with my toddler DD and 3 mo DS. It's fantastic.
I've enjoyed the Games and I'm sad to see it end. I've watched a lot of it live while being up feeding DS during the night.
Sure beats reruns of Knight Rider and bloody endless infomercials. biggrin.gif

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Please tell me I am not the only one crying as the flames go out unsure.gif

#8 PixieVee

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not crying, but sad. I love the Olympics.

#9 tothebeach

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

So great to see all the artists performing and I absolutely loved the phoenix.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Absolutely amazing job GB.
tthumbs.gif

#11 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

what a great end to the Games- I was super excited to see the Spice Girls too, probably too excited  blush.gif

#12 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

We watched it, it was just finishing up in time for me to get the kids to school on time.

#13 chookpea

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Missed it live, watching it tonight.  Would have been nice if channel 9 had the repeat on earlier than 9.40pm glare.gif  Foxtel has the repeat on at 1am which is just as bad!

How were the Spice Girls?  That's who I wanted to see the most.  Oh, and George Michael too!  original.gif

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

The oldies (performers) did a pretty good job, some better than others but I do believe there was a little lip synching happening with some of them.
The Freddie Mercury and John Lennon tributes got me and Spice Girls surprisingly still had it..even Victoria smiled ohmy.gif

I just wonder where Elton was  sad.gif

ETA--Loved Eric Idle and 'Always look on the bright side'...so appropriate really.

Edited by soontobegran, 13 August 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#15 Fourteenyears

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

The Spice Girls and George Michael were great!  Eric Idle was hilarious.   It really was just a big happy dance party.

I did the school drop off about two minutes before the bell!

pretty good job, some better than others but I do believe there was a little lip synching happening with some of them.

All of the acts are pre-recorded aren't they?  That's usually the way for opening and closing ceremonies.

#16 2016

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yep, awesome performances all around. Got teary when they had Imagine on with John Lennon right there... George Michael did well and I even didn't mind how Pink Floyd was done.

But really, Jessie J to do We Will Rock You?? That was my moment to get up and start pavking lunch boxes, lol!

Spice Girls did alright, loved the standing on the Cabs thing! I enjoyed it.

#17 Azadel

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

I was surprised to see Take That perform. Maybe Gary thought not bring there would be harder. Amazing - hope it gave his family some solace.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Sevenyears @ 13/08/2012, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All of the acts are pre-recorded aren't they?  That's usually the way for opening and closing ceremonies.

I wasn't sure if all of them were but it was obvious that some were.
I guess pre recording would at least mean there'd be no sound failures so it would make sense. original.gif

#19 greengoddess

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

I loved it!

Thought Gary Barlow did a great job, all things considered. The song took on a whole new meaning.

Spice Girls were fantastic - loved them!

The Who - hooray!!!

Missed Elton John and Adele.

All in all, a great concert interrupted by some stupid ceremony bits.

#20 PattiODoors

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 13/08/2012, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please tell me I am not the only one crying as the flames go out unsure.gif

I was too. It made me terribly homesick too. I'm from the UK and a lot of my family and friends were there. *sniffle*

#21 Soontobegran

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Still-here! @ 13/08/2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But really, Jessie J to do We Will Rock You?? That was my moment to get up and start pavking lunch boxes, lol!

Should I be embarrassed to admit I had never heard of her ;)

#22 F.E.B.E

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

was adele on early? Missed her!

#23 2016

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

STBG, not at all, but I did know her Money song she had earlier... That's when I earned her name lol

Off to youtubebthe earlier performances I had missed, gotta keep myself occupied whilst at home sick...

#24 Berndt Tőst

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

How good was Eric Idle? Sterling comedy that will never be obsolete.

Makes up for the heinous inaccuracy of some journalists in reporting beforehand that Wham! would reunite for the event cry1.gif .

#25 greengoddess

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 13/08/2012, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was adele on early? Missed her!

NO!! She wasn't on at all!! Nor Elton sad.gif

Jessie J is an institution!! I thought she did a fair job with Queen, but there would have been better choices out there for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.