Closing ceremony
Good, bad or indifferent?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 kelbelblue

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

does anyone know the significance of what looked like victoria's secret angels on stage diuring eric idle??? did I miss something there?

#27 Berndt Tőst

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (kelbelblue @ 13/08/2012, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does anyone know the significance of what looked like victoria's secret angels on stage diuring eric idle??? did I miss something there?

The song is about death - it was originally part of the Monty Python movie Life Of Brian, where Brian is being crucified. It is sung by all the men hanging on crosses. biggrin.gif So I guess they were expanding the 'bright side of death' theme. I must say, you could tell it was designed by men, couldn't you?

#28 2016

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Lol at the Angles during Eric Idle's performance!

Were there rumours Wham! woud reunite?? Is Andrewveven still alive? I thought Gerge M did well, but he s starting to show his age though...

So no Elton?? That surprises me actually, he's quite a Brittish icon IMO.

Oasis' Liam did well too, he even smiled!

#29 F.E.B.E

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

I must admit I LOVED the Spice Girls - just fun and energetic, like they hadn't changed in 15 years! I was in the UK during Spice Mania and they are definitely a key part of London's modern musical history, love them or hate them.

I had to leave for work just as Eric Idle came on. I am recording it though.

#30 Berndt Tőst

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm not sure what's going on with Andrew Ridgeley (unofficial title 'The Other One In Wham'). I haven't heard anything since his disastrous attempt at hard rock many years ago.

#31 BeAwesome

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I loved most of it.

I adored the tribute to Wish You Were Here on the tightrope.
I quite liked the humor of Russell Brand as Willy Wonka doing I Am The Walrus.

Brian May is still a rock god.  I'm in awe of his playing.  My parents got to see him play randomly in London last year, and I'm insanely jealous.

I didn't mind hearing Waterloo Sunset, though sound quality was a bit meh.

Interesting that they could bring the Spice Girls together, but not reunite Noel and Liam, or put Robbie back in Take That.  My heart ached for Gary Barlow, I've always had a soft spot for him anyway.

I vaguely know the girl that opened, though I don't know why she sang twice - I would have liked to see another Spice Girls number.  They're all looking fabulous.  Posh was always my favourite, despite not being able to sing.

I didn't know Taio Cruise was English, but he did an okay job, not a fan of Tinee Temper but he did okay as well, and I Jessie J won me over a little.

The modeled face of John Lennon was wonderful, and that video was awesome, apparently it hadn't been shown in its entirety before.

Fat Boy Slim was good fun as always, he looks a bit more like a daggy dad these days.  The big octopus was wicked.

Muse typically sh*t me, but I thought there performance was solid.

Ed Sheeran looked like a deer in headlights, but I do like his voice.

George Michael was a bit crap.  Particularly spruiking new material.

One Direction did what they do, they were inoffensive, and upbeat.

I had never heard that Prince Harry was Henry of Wales though, learn something new every day.

ETA:  Also set design and lighting were fabulous.

Edited by SlinkyMalinki, 13 August 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#32 Gangnam Style

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

I wonder if Kate Moss had to submit to random drug testing?

#33 somila

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm pretty sure George Michael and Madness were singing live - they were a bit rough and out of tune (sharp) at times so if it was pre-recorded the sound engineer wasn't doing his job, lol.

One Direction were in tune and the vocal line was clear even when they took their mics away from their mouths so I'm calling "mime" for them.

Thought the Money, Money/We will Rock You girl (Jessie J?) was the best live singer there.

Emilie (sp?) Sandee was much better than in the opening ceremony.  Hated her flat, breathy version of Abide with Me, as did everyone I know, but it got unanimously well-reviewed, go figure.

Spice Girls also good.

ETA Loved Eric Idle (he was singing live too) and especially the Morris Dancers.

Edited by somila, 13 August 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#34 annodam

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thank God it's over, that's all I can say!
And not a moment too soon.

I don't mind the Olympics, don't get me wrong, but being forced to watch an event every day for the last 16days including both opening/closing ceremonies at the crack of dawn plus the marathon staying up late, just for homework has been a total fkn nightmare!

My daughters teacher has put me off the Olympics for life!

And no, we don't own a VHS or recording type thingy so we can record it & watch it later.  Having it on 8 channels on Foxtel is bad enough!

We would prefer to watch the Olympics when/if we want, not being forced to thanks!

Begone spud!

EFS.

Edited by annodam, 13 August 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#35 mindy05

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Robbie W was supposed to join Take That, but when he discovered that his baby was due at the same time, he decided not to. Didn't want to be away from his wife.

My DD came in and said, "Did you hear the mistake? They called Prince Harry 'Henry'."  Had to explain to her that it is his actual name.

I loved almost every minute of it from start to finish, but especially loved- Russell Brand, Katie Taylor's (Irish boxer) official role, Darcey Bussell as the phoenix rising from the ashes, Eric Idle.
Was Noel Gallagher on stage with his brother? There was someone to Liam's left (stage right) who looked similar, but they never fully focussed on him.

#36 BlondieUK

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

There are performers who can cope singing live in a huge arena, and there are those who can't.

#37 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

Watched the repeat last night.

OMG Jessie J butcherd We Will Rock You. Made my ears bleed. Painful sad.gif

Fat Boy Slim was cool, loved the octopus.

I actually like most of it, edit out Jessie J and 1Direction and would have been flawless.
Even the Spice Girls where good. Never thought id say that lol

wonder what Rios open and close will be like?

on a side note *happy dance* Olympics over biggrin.gif

edit werid dp

Edited by squeekums, 14 August 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#38 Georgie Boy

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi I too watched a recording of the ceremony last night.
I thought it a bit too long.We all know the British have great music
Would have liked to hear more of spice girls. as well.
Liked the tribute to Freddie as well.
Annodam what homework did your child have ? My DS (yr 6) had the workbook from study ladder which he enjoyed doing and also had to research a question about the Olympic flag.
I thought the Rio section was good more than just Carnivale.
Louise

#39 annodam

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

We had to watch the opening/closing ceremonies, the marathon & a different event every day for the duration.
She then had to write about what happened (scores, medals etc.) plus draw a picture.
It was difficult due to the time difference mainly.

I could've taped a whole bunch of events for her during the day whilst she was at school, but like I said, we don't own a recording device.

EFS.

Edited by annodam, 14 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.