Interested in a tummy tuck? UPDATED - TT DONE!
Read on - might be helpful

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 Jules70

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (ememem @ 24/08/2012, 01:43 PM)
14855534[/url]']
My surgeon offers the surgery fully covered by Medicare if a GP refers a patient for the surgery. The damage to the skin on my belly was pretty severe, as you will see soon.

I'm in SA, things might be different in other states.

Not all surgeons do it.

Jules70 12/11/12 7.08am
Will post some pics soon.

Hi, would you be able to tell me the name and location of the relevant surgeons involved in your surgery?    Thanks jules70

#27 emma0211

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Dinah_Harris @ 14/08/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had two children, one by C/S.  I have severely separated abdominal muscles and an umbilical hernia.  I went to my GP to get a referral about the hernia, and yesterday i saw a plastic surgeon regarding getting it all fixed up.

You know it's bad when the plastic surgeon puts her hand on your tummy and says, "Oh, that's your liver I can feel" because the muscles do not cover up my organs anymore!  sad.gif

I am having the operation in October.  I'm just waiting on the final costs from the surgeon to come through.  It is not considered a cosmetic procedure because of the hernia and the separated abdominals.  Therefore, Medicare offers a small rebate.  They cover the scheduled fee for the procedure, which is close to $1,000 (but plastic surgeons generally charge a LOT more than this for the procedure).  My private health insurance will cover some of it as long as Medicare does, but I'm not exactly sure how much yet.  My plastic surgeon seems to think they'll cover the cost of the hospital.  That means I'll be out of pocket for the surgeon's fees.  However, you have to see a plastic surgeon (not a cosmetic surgeon) for Medicare or health insurance to cover it.

If you are interested, I can come back and update regarding the costing and how the procedure goes.  I am both scared and excited!

Hi Dinah,

I was hoping you could send me the contact details of your surgeon - I have just had the same operation quoted and it was $9800 out of pocket!  I have private healthcover too!

#28 Annetteburt

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

[quote name='Dinah_Harris' date='21/08/2012, 12:30 PM' post='14846876'] Well, the quote arrived today and I am pleasantly surprised.  The cost is as follows:  * Tummy tuck:     $3,500 * Hernia repair:    $435 * Assistant:         $500 Total:                 $4,435  Less Medicare/Health Insurance Rebates: * Tummy tuck:    $967 * Hernia:            $200 * Assistant:        $338  Out of Pocket Costs:   $2,930  Plus anaesthetist costs - I don't know the cost of this yet, but Medicare covers 75% of the scheduled fee and my health fund coves 25% of the scheduled fee.  I have to pay whatever is left.  My health fund totally covers the hospital costs.  It is being done in a private hospital.  I am in Queensland by the way.  I'm happy to PM anyone who would like it the name of my plastic surgeon.  If anyone has any other questions, also happy to answer them if I can. Looking forward to 15th October! [/quote

Hi Dinah,Could you please pm me your doctor detail.  What part of Queensland is he located. Thanks.

#29 homewardbound

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hi ladies is anyone still on this topic ?
I have  recently been to the Dr ,filled out the admission from now the wait begins .
I am covered under Medicare as I have had 3 c/s and 2 previous hernia repairs .

#30 sweetmango

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

I had mine done just over a year ago. It is worth every cent.  Mine ended up costing about $8000, so the OP was pretty luckyto get hers at a great price.

Keep in mind that while you see instant results it takes time for the swelling to settle. Ive just lost another 5kilos and I feel fantastic.  My stomach looks amazing,  

The scar is not so nice to begin with, I would recommend as soon as your surgeon allows use bio oil on it.

Good luck with it! its so worth it.

#31 Juki

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Another thanks for putting this info up, I am hoping that this will be me inna couple of years if we are lucky enough to have another child.

#32 Zozo's Mummy

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hi Taking it back & homewardbound. Thanks for posting. Are either of you in Sydney & if so, can you recommend a surgeon? I'm still trying to convince DH to have number 4, but have almost given up on that happening, so the next step is a tummy tuck. Homewardbound, what's the criteria for getting it covered by Medicare? I've had 3 kids, 2 by C/S & have a huge muscle separation (I can feel my insides popping out).

#33 sweetmango

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi Zozo's mummy, I'm in newcastle so no help for a surgeon.  I spent a lot of time reading different websites plus one in America where women share there surgery journey plus photos.

To be covered by medicare and your health fund all you need is that abdomen muscle separation.

#34 homewardbound

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hi ZoZo's mum ,I am in Adelaide so not sure of the criteria for this in NSW .
The Dr also commented it would be best to remove the excess skin for my hernia repair to heal properly .

I received my letter from the QEH ,my surgery is set for the 19th of September .

Will keep you all posted :smile:

#35 homewardbound

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi ladies have date for my op ,go in on the 19 sept , not long now starting to feel a little nervous .

#36 Zozo's Mummy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Good luck homewardbound. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

#37 kilkenny

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi all
Im really interested in this topic.  Ive had two large babies 4.6 & 3.995kgs, I have a fairly small frame and have been battling with a fairly large separation and after two years its still about 6/7 fingers at my belly button.  Ive tried physio, programs and been pretty dedicated as didnt want surgery really but after an ultrasound yesterday it seems I also have damage and some splits with protrusions in my linea alba!?  Up until 2 days ago I didn't really know about this area but I know now!!
So Im in brisbane and looking for any recommendations.
We have lived in sydney for 7 years and only 11/2 here.  My obstetrician is in sydney so although Iv emailed her its unlikely she can recommend a surgeon.
Has anyone required the mesh, seems I may need this too!?
Its daunting as although I had 2 csections - first emergency and 2nd planned as my first birth was complicated and another big baby....but I ddi that for my children and not for me....whereas I feel this is for me.  I always wanted to avoid surgery if possible but it seems for my health I may have no other option!?
Ive researched a bit yesterday and called a couple of plastic surgeons on the list and it seems so far the price has been 5500-7800 approx.  I would imagine the anaesthesist times, hospital stay etc, medications all on top.  I had my 2 children privately in sydney so have some idea about PHI and medicare etc.
All/any advice would be soooo much appreciated.

#38 kepandmeg

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostDinah_Harris, on 21 August 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Well, the quote arrived today and I am pleasantly surprised.

The cost is as follows:

* Tummy tuck: $3,500
* Hernia repair: $435
* Assistant: $500
Total: $4,435

Less Medicare/Health Insurance Rebates:
* Tummy tuck: $967
* Hernia: $200
* Assistant: $338

Out of Pocket Costs:   $2,930

Plus anaesthetist costs - I don't know the cost of this yet, but Medicare covers 75% of the scheduled fee and my health fund coves 25% of the scheduled fee.  I have to pay whatever is left.

My health fund totally covers the hospital costs.  It is being done in a private hospital.

I am in Queensland by the way.  I'm happy to PM anyone who would like it the name of my plastic surgeon.

If anyone has any other questions, also happy to answer them if I can.
Looking forward to 15th October!

Hi Dinah,

Could I get the name of your surgeon? We have just moved to Queensland and I'm thinking its time I did something about my muscle separation. I've always been a little scared but have had two c-sections so figure it can't be any worse :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Looking after 3 kids will probably be worse!

#39 Zozo's Mummy

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Homewardbound- how are you recovering? Any update?

#40 kilkenny

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

View Postkepandmeg, on 10 October 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hi Dinah,

Could I get the name of your surgeon? We have just moved to Queensland and I'm thinking its time I did something about my muscle separation. I've always been a little scared but have had two c-sections so figure it can't be any worse :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Looking after 3 kids will probably be worse!

#41 kilkenny

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

I would be very interested in any QLD surgeons...Im in brisbane.  I actually have an initial consultation with a surgeon next week!?

#42 homewardbound

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hi ladies sorry I have given an update . I  have not had op it has been rescheduled till the 31of Oct.
In the meantime we have moved to Qld .
So will be flying back to SA for op  and to recover . So may be there for a couple of weeks .

#43 kilkenny

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

View Posthomewardbound, on 20 October 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hi ladies sorry I have given an update . I  have not had op it has been rescheduled till the 31of Oct.
In the meantime we have moved to Qld .
So will be flying back to SA for op  and to recover . So may be there for a couple of weeks .

Good luck :) ....look forward to hearing how you go & any tips for me/everyone about what to wear in hospital etc.
I was booked in for April but I've been given a cancellation for Novemeber 13 ...so not long for me either!!??
Take care :)

#44 missskinnyness

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi Dinah

Would love to know the name of surgeon as I have been looking around now for have a tt and ba.  currently in qld and have private health.

Would be keen to get the ball rolling asap.  I have been to one surgeon already waiting for his quote but I got the feeling he will be very expensive as he was talking about using a hypobaric chamber after op to aide in healing sounds great but sound $$$$$.  I guess its smart to always see two surgeons to get more informed opinions.

Edited by missskinnyness, 28 October 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#45 Mabevza

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

View Postememem, on 23 August 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Recovery has been up and Down. The first 5 days were horrible, but by day 7 I was walking normally, slowly but still normal.

I am beyond stoked with the results.

After having my first at 18 and putting on about 15kg with him, my tummy was stretched beyond belief. With my next two (at 27yo and 29yo, there was no extra stretching as it was already prestretched. With my second I whacked on over 30kg, tipping the scales at 106kg when DS2 was 6 months old.

Over the last 3 years I've lost 35kg and have reduced my abdominal separation gap from 4 finger width to just a under 1 on my own with a lot of hard work.

So my surgeon pulled the muscles together and cut off 10inches of skin weighing 1965g. No fat was removed, there was no lipo at all.

My surgery was covered completely under medicare. I paid for 2 consultations at $85 each. I don't have private cover. I was fortunate that my chosen surgeon operated under Medicare with a GP referral. I had my first consult in June 2011, follow up in June 2012 and was given my surgery date that day, which was two months later on aug 10.

My tummy is not perfect, but I never hoped or expected it to be. My stretch marks were right up to my bra line so there are still a lot there, but I don't care. I'm not looking to become a bikini model lol.

I will now be able to buy clothes that fit me all over, instead of having to allow for the extra spread through the middle!

Oh, and I kept my original belly button. She it around it and fixed it to the skin that was pulled Down.

The hardest bits:
Not being able to lift my children for a cuddle.
Sleeping comfortably
Remembering to rest, even though I feel well enough to do something, I still shouldn't do it.
The scar. Holy sh*tballs. It goes 3/4 the way around me.

Time off work: 2 weeks

If I can help with anything else let me know. I will post before and afters when I'm not on my phone Posted Image

#46 Mabevza

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostMabevza, on 24 November 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

hi ememem, please am from SA as well please give the number of the surgeon it will assist me smuch as am struggling to raise funds for my tuck, please. i will be so greateful

#47 Mabevza

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Since my first baby my belly never went back to its normality. i used to be flat and wearing size 32(8) but ever since my babies am waering size 36 all to cater for my tummy, i have tried all i can but am losing all the wait at the wrong places my tummy still big with no change. after my second baby i considered to do a liposunction

ii went to three different surgeon they all telling me the same thing, theg saying i lost illasticity on my stomach, so doing liposunction will only take the fats out that i will remain with the flabby skin that will look even more urgly, they recommend a tummy tuck.

i tried contacting several surgeon allwith similar prices, howver since this is an operation i need a referal of a good doctor who can do this better with muscle correction in SA, and also who can assist in this procedure to be covered by medical aid even if itsnot covered fully but assitance from the insurance will assist as i have one.

ii saw ememem did the same thing and some of the cost are covered by medical aid, ememem if u still on this forum please assist me i need this baddly. my wedding is cumming up soon and i feel less confident looking like this.

yyour assistance will be so much appreciated

#48 trayc

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

is this post still open, would also love some reviews

#49 6littlefaces

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hello
I know this is an old post but hoping someone can help me with some advice.
I am in the process of researching tummy tucks and want to get one done but feel a bit overwhelmed when looking on the internet at the different surgeons.
I am in the Brisbane area and would love some feedback from anyone who has had there tummy tuck done here.
Look forward to hearing any advice
Thank you

Edited by 6littlefaces, 02 June 2015 - 06:04 PM.

#50 6littlefaces

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

Hello
I know this is an old post but hoping someone can help me with some advice.
I am in the process of researching tummy tucks and want to get one done but feel a bit overwhelmed when looking on the internet at the different surgeons.
I am in the Brisbane area and would love some feedback from anyone who has had there tummy tuck done.
Look forward to hearing any advice
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.