Deodorant for 9 year old DD
Has your DD used it yet? which one?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Handsfull

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi everyone

Just wanted to throw this out there.  Was told today by DD teacher that she was really hot and sweaty in dance yesterday at school and that there was an odor.

I asked DD about it and she confirmed she was a bit stinky.  Poor little thing.

Just wondered if anyone has a DD who has started using deodorant yet? when did they start and what brand do that use.

Would welcome your feedback if you have any.

TIA

Edited by handsfull, 15 August 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#2 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

my 9 yr old sister uses "mum" deodorant, the unscented version

#3 Zesty

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have a 9yo DS who has been regularly using deodorant for about 18months or so. He needed to, badly. He knows that he needs to put deodorant on each day and will occasionally forget. If he does forget he is usually the first one to own up to requiring it.

There hasn't been an issue in either people making comments or how he feels about it. He knows if he doesn't wear it, he has really strong BO.

I just use normal roll on in whichever scent he likes.

Edited by Zesty, 15 August 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#4 mypigeonpair01

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

My almost 7 yr old DD has been using deodorant since last summer. She is stinky and needs it. I didn't want her to be teased for being stinky.
DS who is almost 9 still has no need for it.

#5 Ireckon

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

DD wil be 9 at the end of the year. She has been using deoderant for about a year now. I buy her the Mitchum tea tree one, or there is another brand that is also tea tree scented, but withuot the aluminium in it (I think. It is in her room, and the kids have just headed off to bed.)

I can always tell if she hasn't put it on, cos she does have a strong odour. I am trying to find the balance in pointing it out nicely to her (as opposed to making her feel like she smells) so that other kids don't end up noticing it and then teasing her. I remember being teased about it in year 4, and it wasn't nice.

DS is 7, and I am starting to notice a bit of odour from him some days, so will start looking around for something for him - though the mitchum one is pretty unisex.

#6 Ang1982

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Rexona has a deodarant designed for girls that my dd uses.

#7 Guest_Nyz31_*

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Have you considered a 'salt block' aka 'salt crystal'?
If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's basically a small smooth lump of salt that you buy from health food stores and chemists for about $10 (I think?) and basically you wet it under the tap and use it in the same way as a roll-on. It obviously doesn't have a perfume but stops odor. My whole family have been using them for about 10 years now, my Dad (who's is the most recent convert) even uses it on his feet and couldn't believe the difference. And the best thing is, unless you drop them (in which case, they shatter) one block will last you for YEARS!
I highly recommend checking them out, especially if you're concerned about the chemicals in deodorants....

#8 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Redwin aluminium free in the blue spray bottle.

#9 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

I would never use a deodorant with aluminium in it on a young child, there are so many natural alternatives.

Miessence have a great one, there are cheaper ones in the supermarket like redwin and tea tree oil ones (which actually isn't overpowering at all).

#10 Billy Shears

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

My DD (also aged 9) uses Innoxa unscented brand that I bought from Priceline (wen she remembers)

#11 Victory

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

My 10 year old daughter uses Nutter brand deodrant.
http://geraldtonhealthfoods.com.au/index.p...product_id=6917

It's amazing the difference not wearing it makes! She can really pong.

#12 liveworkplay

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Have you considered a 'salt block' aka 'salt crystal'?

My 7 year old uses this. You can also get a pump spray version. She has intermittent body odor problems which are quite severe. This works for her. I was reluctant to use an adult deodorant on her being so young.

#13 Kathryn74

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

My 9yo DD needs one and has a roll-on....now if I could only convince her to use it!!  Ugh.

#14 Kat5

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

My DD is 9 and absolutely needs it. After heavy training etc, I've actually gagged on the stench of her B.O.!

She uses an aluminium free tea-tree oil one that we bought at Coles. It really helps....when she remembers to wear it...

#15 -al-

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

I started DD on a clay & essential oil based deodorant when she was about 8 because of the climate being so hot I didnt want her smelling.
I agree that it is important to use something natural at such a young age, and reminding them to apply is important also.
L'Occtaine have some lovely products which are quite natural, but it seems there are quite a few options listed which are likely to be less expensive.
I guess it may be worth having a little conversation providing a gentle reminder on effective washing as this may contribute. I also believe diet has a big impact on personal odour.

#16 sophiasmum

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

My DD is 9 & hasn't needed it yet - "I don't sweat" she tells me - but when the time comes I will buy her the aluminium free tea tree one from coles someone else mentioned.

#17 miriams

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

My DD was using deodorant for about three years (she's almost twelve) until DH discovered a great alternative a couple of weeks ago. It really works. It's about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil rubbed over both armpits and then a few drops of teatree oil on each one. I didn't believe him at first when he said he doesn't stink at all but it's true. DD does dance too and her B.O can be surprisingly rank for such a young kid...feel very relieved to have found a non-aluminium alternative.

#18 Handsfull

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies.   I went and inspected all the brands at woolies and settled on the alum
Free redwin blue bottle spray.  Smells really great I might convert!!

Thanks for all your responses.

#19 pea_jae

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I am so pleased to have discovered this thread. My almost 8 year old daughter has BO after a long day at school, or if it's hot and she's been active. It's only started in the last few months.

I was worried she was way too young for this, but as it turns out from reading these posts, it's perfectly normal.

However my personal preference (nothing against other's choices) would lead me away from deodorant as she's so young. It's been so helpful to learn of some natural alternatives.

Many many thanks original.gif happy.gif

Edited by pea_jae, 04 October 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#20 Jekaho

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I know you've already bought something, but just wanted to throw in another alternative. The Moo Goo deodorant cream.

#21 Delillah1

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

My DD who is 9 has been using the Miessence one as well as the Sukin pumpspray which she really likes. We've also used the crystal but I find that one is harder for her to bother with because of the need to wet it and apply it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.