How long should a 45kg gas bottle last for?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NoMoreGuilt

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Sorry I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section..

We moved in recently to a house that uses gas for hot water and cooktop. We also have 2 x Rinnai gas heaters (one is the Avenger which is the largest in the range, the other a medium sized one). The gas is supplied via 2 x 45kg gas bottles outside the house , via Elgas, who come and fill up the tanks every month or so.

We connected a 45kg less than two weeks ago and tonight its empty. Should it only last that long??! I know its like asking how long a piece of string is..but less than 2 weeks is ridiculous when it costs about $90 per 45kg tank. I'm wondering if theres a gas leak???
We are a 2 adult + 1 toddler household.

-Cook about 5 times a week using the gas cooktop

- 2 x 5 min showers in the morning, 2 x 15 min showers in the evening each day, plus a baby bath (not big bath) filled each evening for my toddler.

- 3 loads of warm water laundry each week

- We have both heaters on about 1 hour each evening

We've always had electric for everything so no idea ! TIA

Edited by NoMoreGuilt, 15 August 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#2 Lyn86

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

We have gas bottles to and one lasts around 5-6 weeks. We only have gas hot water and cook top though-wood fire heater for heating. I would say its your heaters that are chewing through the gas.

#3 qak

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I don't know the answer, but am  blink.gif  at the cost you are bearing.  I have heard that tank gas is the most expensive but had not realised just how expensive.

TBH we only have a gas BBQ with 4.5L tanks and I was trying to think how many hours we get out of that. I *think* we get about 10 hours.  So to me the rate you are using it up seems about right.

#4 jersey3681

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Where do you live OP? We are on a farm in NSW and through Origin our gas bottle is about $70-$75. We only use it for cooking as we have solar hot water system and it lasted us over a year so I am  ohmy.gif to hear this...

#5 Flaxen

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Unfortunately it does sound about right sad.gif
If we dont have the woodheater going, the gas bills are massive, and yes, tank gas is very expensive. mad.gif

We have a 210lt bottle, and would go through a whole one in a month if using it for heating. at about $350!

If you want to question it, give elgas a call, i did to ask about probable consumption, and they gave me a idea of what i'd be using.

Edited by Danielle01, 15 August 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#6 Lyn86

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Ours is $120 a bottle:( currently saving to convert to solar!

#7 jersey3681

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Danielle01 @ 15/08/2012, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look to see what you can do to reduce consumption, i know, not much help!

You can get solar hot water system which is a bit more expensive to start with but then you never have other costs, get a washing machine that warms up the water for you if you are using gas to warm up the water (e.g. Miele) and wood heating - this is how we keep our costs down. For a 4 bedroom house our electricity bill came at $650 and we are rural, so it's more expensive the kw mad.gif

#8 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

I know how nice a long hot shower is but maybe you could try shortening the evening showers as hot water heating is the biggest energy user.

#9 NoMoreGuilt

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Danielle01 @ 15/08/2012, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a 210lt bottle, and would go through a whole one in a month if using it for heating. at about $350!

I nearly fell off the couch reading this! sad.gif
We bought the gas heaters because we read it was more energy efficient in the long run than the ducted electric which we have. Guess we should've done more research..

#10 PeggyLou

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

We are on bottled gas here in WA and ours cost $115 per bottle.

Family of 5, we write on the calendar when one bottle gets started/empties etc.

Currently around 45 days per bottle.
This is with gas hotplate, gas hot water system and using our gas heater (which has 5 star energy rating) very sparingly.

Due to how much gas our heater chews through, we rarely use it. (although we can run it for half an hour and the house is nice and toasty).

#11 Feraldasherie

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hi OP

I work for Elgas and that's a fairly standard winter delivery schedule for heating and hot water, 4 weekly for 2x45kg. It is expensive, on a par with electricity. Natural gas is cheaper.

You would be able to smell the gas if there was a leak, either through the appliances or at the cylinders.

I'd look at trying to lower your usage if possible.

---

#12 maybeonemore

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

WOW  ohmy.gif  I think it must be the heaters which are using the most.

We are a family of 3 and we use our gas bottles for instantaneous hopt water (showers/dishwasher) not washing machine (cold water only) and for cooktop. We go through a bottle every 4-6 months.

Maybe its worth getting a reverse cycle heater in if its costing you that much ouch!

#13 Joeski

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:41 AM

We live in Lakes Entrance, Victoria we paid $130 for 45kg gas bottle with a $77 pro rata fee for the year . Family of 3 with 2 adults & 1 child. Only heating  & no cooking, hot water is on electricity.1 bottle lasted from 6/6/15 - 5/7/15 or 1 month. The annoying thing is there is no natural gas available in Lakes but we look out over the ocean view where you can see 5 gas refinery platforms 5 - 10 kms offshore. Not happy as it's pipelined to Sydney NSW but not available here. Pls explain $130 ?? Elgas supplied

Edited by Joeski, 10 July 2015 - 04:45 AM.

#14 hills mum bec

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

It would be your heaters chewing the gas.  We gave bottled gas for our cooktop & hot water.  A bottle will last us about 4 months using the cooktop for most meals, 3 x 10 min showers per day plus a bath every second day & a load of warm water washing every day.  We used to have a gas heated outdoor spa, the gas heater would take about an hour to hear the water then we would use it for 30 minutes.  Doing this twice a week meant a gas bottle would last 4-6 weeks instead of 4-5 months.

#15 Indi

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:20 PM

Family of 5 - instant gas hot water, gas cooktop.  5 showers a day plus cooking.  Our gas bottle lasts between 5 - 7 weeks.  In my old house with a cooktop only it lasted over a year.  I think it is your heaters.

#16 nup

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

You pay a premium through elgas delivered. Ask around if anyone can refill locally. We have a produce store that does it here and so avoid Elgas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.