Why are the Paralympics still not started?
Genuine question.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I can not figure out why the Paralympics would not run immediately following the olympics (or ideally, concurrently)?

Surely the best way to garner support, audiences and money for the Paralympics is to latch onto the hype that is the Olympics?

I don't understand, I want to understand, it makes me cross (I also want foxtel to show all the Paralympics and not just the ABC for a few hours.)

Help me understand?

#2 FreeRangeBabies

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'm curious also. I prefer to watch the paralympics as opposed to the regular olympics and I'm dissapointed that it hasnt been on yet. I thought it was normally on 2 weeks after the closing ceremony?

#3 AliasMater

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I was thinking this at the closing ceremony? Surely they could unite and have one opening and one closing ceremony with the events either running straight after the other is better. I can't help but feel that para Olympians are treated with disdain on so many levels.

#4 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Two weeks? Well that fits with this weekend doesn't it?

I want it as part of the whole hullaballoo ideally, but if not surely straight after is manageable?

#5 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

I think they start tomorrow (Thursday). Unfortunately, no matter how much we admire the Paralympic athletes they are never going to receive the exposure the Olympians do. They just do not generate sufficient advertising revenue. I guess there has to be a changeover period between events to get athletes in and out, reconfigure facilities for different events and dismantle those that are not required for the Paralympics. Possibly the Paralympians want their event to be separate from the Olympics, not just tacked on at the end?

#6 Froggilicious

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

I believe that the main issue is logistics. There are many more events in the paralympics due to the different classifications and the different sports. If they were to run concurrently they would need 4 weeks to run the olympics.

I also read somewhere that there are some alterations being made to the village to make it more accessable for the paralympians, plus i imagine they would need some time to change over from one group of competitors to another.

I agree that there should be more coverage of the paralympics, in my opinion they are more interesting and inspiring than the olympics.

#7 BadCat

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Well I expect it's something to do with having to pull 10.000 able bodied athletes out of the village, clean it all up and prepare it for 10,000 athletes with a disability. And the coaches and support staff.   Not to mention clearing out the media crews who were there for the olympics but don't have the rights to the paralympics, and bringing in the new media crews.

There would also be restocking of the village cafeteria.  There may be adjustments to be made to some of the facilities to accommodate some paralympians.  It's entirely possible that that many of the officials need to move out and allow new ones to move in.  There are different sports available in the paralympics so there would need to be refs brought in for those.  Some of the sports that are the same would have slightly modified rules and refs and officials may not be qualified to run both.

And those are just some of the possiblites I can think of off the top of my head.  It would cost a bomb to build a village and facilities enough to run them concurrently.

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

They start this weekend and they have sold 2.4 million of 2.5 million tickets.
It makes me happy that at least they will be getting the recognition they deserve from spectators even if the viewing public get a sparce coverage.

#9 farfaraway

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Another big job is to re-configure the venues for the tv coverage. It sounds simple (and maybe silly), but there's millions of meters of cables to be moved and camera positions to change to accommodate the different sports. It's a massive job and part of the delay (my brother is there working on both lots of Games).

#10 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

But it's London - if Sydney could manage concurrently surely a city the size of London can?

I didn't think of the media thing but it can't be that hard - all those media outlets that did not have rights to the games still sent crews there to get interviews, cover the crowds and atmosphere - they just couldn't cover the actual sports.

The whole thing would need to be built to facilitate wheelchair and disabled access anyway I doubt there is a lot more to be done (they aren't really pulling out showers and installing new ones in half the village? Surely they were prepared in advance - or it really is a big waste of money).

STBG - I'm pleased about ticket sales. Doesn't help me in Australia watch though biggrin.gif

#11 matt1972

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 29/08/2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But it's London - if Sydney could manage concurrently surely a city the size of London can?

I didn't think of the media thing but it can't be that hard - all those media outlets that did not have rights to the games still sent crews there to get interviews, cover the crowds and atmosphere - they just couldn't cover the actual sports.

The whole thing would need to be built to facilitate wheelchair and disabled access anyway I doubt there is a lot more to be done (they aren't really pulling out showers and installing new ones in half the village? Surely they were prepared in advance - or it really is a big waste of money).

STBG - I'm pleased about ticket sales. Doesn't help me in Australia watch though biggrin.gif

Sydney paralympics started 2 weeks after the Olympics were complete.

#12 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 29/08/2012, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sydney paralympics started 2 weeks after the Olympics were complete.

Yes, but they integrated several sports into the "main" Olympics - must have been a nightmare for the media outlets when they had Louise Savage's race in between able bodied races. Oh wait, they just did what they were contractually obliged to do...

#13 Bam1

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 29/08/2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Sydney couldn't manage it the paralympics started on the 18th Oct and the olympics finished on the 1st Oct. It would be nice to live in your nice easy world that makes things super easy and can change history as well but in reality I'm amazed that only 2+ weeks are needed, for it all.

Next you will be joining the chorus of protests about Channel 9 not showing them!

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'm just hoping that we'll get something on Foxtel unsure.gif
I do understand that it has taken a couple of weeks to clean up the mess and make the necessary adjustments for access and mobility, I just don't understand why we have to miss out on seeing these courageous people perform sad.gif

#15 matt1972

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 29/08/2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but they integrated several sports into the "main" Olympics - must have been a nightmare for the media outlets when they had Louise Savage's race in between able bodied races. Oh wait, they just did what they were contractually obliged to do...

They had a few "demonstration" sports in Athens.

#16 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Logistics. Having worked at sporting events I can understand the need for two weeks to get everything ready. I think even turn around time of two weeks could be cutting it fine.

For a start you could not have all the Paralympic athletes and coaches/support stuff arriving when the Olympic athletes/support staff are leaving. Imagine the mess at the airports with that many people!

And the village needs to be cleaned/prepared, food halls re-stocked, venues prepared for the different sports, media set up, officials need to arrive.. it doesn't happen overnight.

#17 matt1972

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 29/08/2012, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just hoping that we'll get something on Foxtel unsure.gif
I do understand that it has taken a couple of weeks to clean up the mess and make the necessary adjustments for access and mobility, I just don't understand why we have to miss out on seeing these courageous people perform sad.gif

Nothing on Foxtel

The 2012 London Paralympics begins on ABC TV this week with the Opening Ceremony on Wednesday, hosted on ABC1 by Adam Hills and sports presenter, Stephanie Brantz and featuring Coldplay.

Coverage will air on both ABC1 and ABC2 as follows:

ABC1 will then kick off the broadcast with live Games coverage every morning – hosted by Karen Tighe, and then return each night to Stephanie Brantz for her Nightly Highlights show.

Joining Tighe and Brantz throughout the coverage will be an array of ABC sports reporters including Amanda Shalala, Clint Wheeldon, Gerry Collins (swimming), Peter Wilkins (cycling and wheelchair rugby), Quentin Hull (athletics), Peter Walsh (wheelchair basketball) and Darren Boyd.

Also providing special expert commentary will be former Australian Paralympians – Troy Sachs (wheelchair basketball), Heath Francis (athletics), Amy Winters (athletics) and Katrina Webb (athletics).

ABC2 will then carry on all the excitement of the day’s competition with a nightly Evening Show hosted by Stephanie Brantz, and entertainers Lawrence Mooney, Adam Zwar and Sam Pang. Each day the ABC2 broadcast team will be joined in their Olympic Park studio by Australian Paralympians who will discuss all the action and competition, and take a look at the lighter side of Paralympic sport.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/08/2012-p...pics-guide.html

#18 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for that Matt - sorry for sounding crabby, I'm having a major headache at work and this was supposed to be a break laughing2.gif

I'm not usually this cranky (I hope my history shows biggrin.gif)

#19 minidiamond

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Having the paralympics concurrently is not a great idea.

Aside from the IOC wanting to protect its brand & associated ad revenue etc etc, the relatively small coverage the paralympics gets would be absolutely swamped by the 'main' game.  There have been some decent arguments to have the Paras BEFORE the Olympic Games to help kick-start the atmosphere etc. but the IOC won't have it.

I've worked on-site at 3 summer Olympics & 2 Paralympics plus winters - the the main reason for the delay is as PPs have said, logistics.  

#20 Zahhy

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 29/08/2012, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing on Foxtel

Seriously? Lame jerks.
Glad ABC are apparently showing some events, thanks for that link Matt.

#21 ComradeBob

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

No nothing on Foxtel  mad.gif And I specificaly asked when we got it connected in our new place because DHs cousin is competing again, and we're obviously rather proud  biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.