paralympic classifications

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kristylee21

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Just wondering if anyone can explain the classifications for me. I love watching and I'm looking forward to watching the women's wheelchair basketball as I know one I'd the girls. But in the meantime the class's are confusing me

#2 spando

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

Each individual is assessed on a common scale that ranks function not body part affected specifically.
So you may have an upperlimb Amputee and a person with CP that reduced function of the upper limb to certain limits competing against each other.
The more missing limb/limbs or degree of disability the higher the number. Ie c1 reduced function but some active muscular control c3 amputee no function no active muscular control.

Hope that helps

#3 dolcengabbana

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Basketball is classified as a 1 through to 4.5 points 1 pointer no or little trunk muscle function etc 4.5 pointer may have a below knee single leg amputee for example only.

Edited by dolcengabbana, 31 August 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#4 Bbtimes2

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi    
The 4 basic classifications are Amputees, spinal cord injuries, cerebral palsy and Les Autres (the others). The others includes short stature, Congenital limb deficiencies, And acquired Conditions impacting muscle and joint strength and movement. Classes are assigned according to how many limbs are affected and the movement of the limb that is affected.My son, who was born with Bilateral Talipes (club feet) would be in the "others" classification. We are looking forward to watching the Paralympics because there are a number of athletes with his condition. It will be good for him to see people like him achieving such great things.

#5 meljbau

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

There's a good article for explaining classifications and how they work at this site
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/irelan...4323264313.html

There are also athletes  with vision impairment and athletes with an intellectual disabilty are able to compete again with the previous ban lifted for these games

Edited by meljbau, 30 August 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#6 smithsholidayroad

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the links to explain the classifications.

I too am keen for my son ( all the family too) to watch as much as possible as indeed having such positive rolemodels with disabilities is very powerful.

I just hope that in the future with more sponsorship dollars that it gets more and more of a mainstream audience as it could have a really great impact on societies view of disability.

Cooper of course wants to watch the wheelchair rugby or murderball after watching the documentary last week. He loves the idea of bashing his wheelchair around!

We have watched all the atheletes stories on iview too.

Cooper has loved watching Kane and disabled as its a great forum to dicuss what is appropriate and offensive etc.

Of course now his word of the week is "offensive" !

Cheers Bron.

#7 Fourteenyears

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

The ABC website provides a very good description of the specific classifications for each sport, as it is not the same for every sport.

I've linked to rowing, as an example, but if you go to the sport tab and select a sport you'll get a really good breakdown.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/paralympi...classifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.