4WD or People Mover

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 allamumof4

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi everyone, We are expecting Baby Number 4 in December. We have a bit of a dilemma deciding what car to upgrade to. My Husband really would like to buy a Landrover Discovery but I am not convinced that it will be that practical or spacious. I am more thinking along the lines of a Toyota Tarago or Chrysler Voyager.

The problem I have is that I think there wont be enough room in any sort of 4WD, for when we go away on Holidays or even just the weekend. We are going to need to take the Pram for a long while yet and if we go away overnight we need the portacot as well. We tend to go away 2-3 times a year and I just don;t want us all to be sqashed in with bags and stuff at our feet.

Any input would be great, from families that actually drive a Landrover or people mover. Thanks so much

#2 *Lena*

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

How many anchor points will you need? If you need 4 make sure that the car has them. I don't think taragos have 4 anchor point.

#3 allamumof4

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for that, I will only need 2 anchor points

#4 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

We are expecting 4 in march and will be getting a Nissan elgrand

#5 coopersmamma

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Hi! We have a Subaru Tribeca original.gif We bought it because soon we will be a family of 4!!! I love how it is a 7 seater without feeling like I am driving a daggy bus...or driving a bus!

We have the kids in slim-fitting car seats/boosters because of the seat contours but find that we all have plenty of room original.gif Recommend it for a test drive!

#6 Walkers

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

For 4 kids I think a people mover is the more practical. We had a 4wd and just found it too small and ended up switching to a Tarago. It's not the sexiest car but I don't feel like I am driving a daggy bus either. Nice and spacious for all the gear that goes with having four kids, plus spare seats for friends (or #5?)

#7 MamaMoi

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

We have just ordered a Volvo XC90. Have you looked at them? We were tossing up between a few cars, the Discovery 4 being one of them.

The Volvo won in the end for various reasons but the main ones being safety and the boot space you have with the third row seats in use.

I was able to fit my Baby Jogger City Mini Double GT pram behind the third row of seats. When I tried this in the Landrover there was no chance. I was able to fit my Mountain Buggy Urban (single) in the Landrover but only with the rear wheels removed. Having to remove wheels to fit the pram in would drive me bananas, as would having to use a pram I didn't like only because it fit in the tiny boot.

We haven't got the Volvo yet as it's not due to arrive until the end of November but today I was thinking whether I had made the right decision. In light of #4 not working out, I started thinking maybe we should look at the Discovery again. The middle row of seats is great in the Discovery, but to have that space there, you lose the boot space. Plus, the Volvo rates much better in terms of safety and really, I feel that is the most important thing for us at this stage. Who knows, we might try again and have a 4th at some stage and I honestly think the Discovery is not an option if you have 4 kids and still need to cart around a pram.

Good luck!

Edited by MamaMoi, 11 September 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#8 MamaMoi

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (20%Cooler @ 11/09/2012, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on the age of your children.

This is a good point. Some of the third rows in 4WDs have a height limit. Make sure you check that out (read the manual as a lot of the car sales people have no idea about these details and will tell you what you want to hear to make the sale!). For example, 3rd row in the Volvo is for people up to 160cm. It's to do with the head room and safety requirements. The Discovery third row are full sized seats designed for adults so I suspect wont have the same limitations that other cars do.

Also think about how long you intend to keep this car for and how old/big your kids are going to get during that period.

#9 Iwantitall

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

If you want a 4wd get one with a split fold 3rd row so you have the option of folding one seat up when you need the extra space.  Also, a roof top storage bag/capsule is very very helpful.   We go away a lot as well (been away 5 times already this year ) and are having #4 tomorrow  ohmy.gif .  For us 4wd was the only option because we actually go 4wding so we had to really think about the storage options.

Edited by beljane, 13 September 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#10 IBakeBoys

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

We have a VW multivan for us and our 4. We chose that over a 4wd as we had 4 in restraints but I'm glad we did, its so much more convenient. Its even got a built in picnic table wub.gif

#11 KristyMum-

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

People movers don't 4wd.
lol that fixed it for us original.gif

we like to go offroad (family live bush, holidays, camping) so a people mover was never an option for us.  Our kids are now 3, 7, 10, 13.  I often carpool an extra 3 kids if it's just my 4 and me.

We've done 4wd+tent+3kids, 2 adults that was tight - 6000km return trip and the rest in the middle
and various other travel but that was the biggest.

We've done 4wd+camper trailer +4 kids, 2 adults that worked really well as the camper allowed us to take ample water, fuel etc and to stow everything away for better room in the vehicle.

We are not caravan park/hotel types so that worked really well for us and allowed us to go bush bush, without the need for other people or shops which is how we like it.

DH also made up a set of custom 4wd drawers for the back, carpeted to match and with tie down points, that slotted neatly into the 'pivot' fixing for the seats.  So remove the seat, add the drawer, tie down the stuff on top.  That worked well with 3 kids lol and then we sold them (set of two).

We've since sold the camper, and are down to 2x3man tents (so that later if it's just DH and I and/or one or two kids, we don't have to take a massive tent).  I was really reluctant in a lot of ways to do this, but we think we have the storage options sorted and I think there will be some sort of trailer involved or if we take the 'tinny' then the stuff can go in that...
I'd much prefer this than only holidays accessable (sp?) by people mover.  That's just me.  wink.gif

so since we actually go offroad, people mover wasn't even a consideration.

good luck OP original.gif

eta re anchor pts, only 3 in the middle row.  Rear row has none and cannot be fitted with extras (we checked with the engineering mob) and tie down points are NOT sufficient for anchor points (as a couple of people suggested to us).

The only thing I don't like about our 4wd is the large rear door single hinge (prefer barn doors) and the cruise control is excitable (but I never liked cruise control full stop so not an issue).  Other than that, great off road, esp sand, easy to park, better turning circle than our VX Comm had etc so we're happy.

We have certain brands that we won't touch.  If you're interested in a couple of possibilities and want to narrow it down, check out the local online forums for that brand of vehicle and see what the major issues are they have.  Some might be particular year models only having troubles, but they will give you some idea.

Edited by KristyMum-, 17 September 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#12 hiccamups

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Volvo XC90 gets our vote.  Or the Audi Q7.

#13 Gumbette

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

[quote name='MamaMoi' date='11/09/2012, 06:21 PM' post='14904470'
We haven't got the Volvo yet as it's not due to arrive until the end of November but today I was thinking whether I had made the right decision.
[/quote]
We're in the process of changing my Prado over for a Volvo. I didn't know the wait time would be so long! May I ask what model XC90 you ordered (we may need to order the car before we sell mine if it's such a long lead time).

#14 my4beautifulboys

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

We also have a VW Multivan, we have 3 children, I find it great with lots of space for the children and luggage as well, it feels big to start with but i've got used to the size of it and really like it now.

#15 barrington

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

We have the Volvo XC90 for three children, but I'm not sure I would keep it if we ever had another child.

Gumbette - I only just realised a couple of days ago that our lease expires on our current XC90 this month.  Our car broker has had no trouble finding me a new XC90 in the colour/extras combo that I want.  I expect to have a new car before the end of the month even though I only emailed my car broker yesterday.

#16 MamaMoi

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Sorry Gumbette, I only just saw this post. We lease and our current lease doesn't expire until early December. This is the only reason for the delay in getting the XC90 so don't worry, you won't have a long wait.
I can't wait to get the Volvo!

Edited by MamaMoi, 15 October 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#17 tiga

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

we have a 4WD multivan, kill 2 birds, took us 8 months for it to arrive but we love it as we go to the snow once a year

#18 tiga

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

oh and we have a Volvo xc90 too, had it for 7 years and LOOOVE it, great for 3 kids and the odd friend but for 4 permanent kids we went the van, but we will keep the volvo til it dies as its a great car

#19 CountryBumpkin

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

We don't have a landrover, but we have a land cruiser. We but it as we needed a 4wd with our lifestyle. It's a pain when we go away as the 3rd row up means no boot space, we have to use a roof rack or take a trailer. We will be making it our second car and buying something for the family in about 2 years. I wouldn't recommend a 4wd unless you will use it as a 4wd (we go 4wding about 4-6 times a month).

#20 FourLittleLoves

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

We are expecting #4 in a few weeks and just bought a Kia Grand Carnival and I AM IN LOVE!!!

I love that we can fit all the kids in and have a spare seat.

I love that we will be able to still fit in a pram with some bags in the boot when we are using the back seats (we will probably need to buy a roof pod thing still)

I love that the floor is all one level.

It is just fantastic!

We haven't taken it for a long drive yet but I can see it being very comfortable for a long trip.

ETA: We needed 4 anchor points so our options were limited but still very happy with our car. original.gif

Edited by MrsPotatoHead, 11 November 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#21 FourLittleLoves

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Double post

Edited by MrsPotatoHead, 11 November 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#22 ky*cal

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

We are actually having this same dilemma aswell, we are expecting #5 and currently have landcrusier but was thinking of selling for a people mover, we are looking at the Kia Grand Carnivals, but still unsure as to quality of vechile, as we know a landcruiser will last and last, but fear we will have to turn over the Kia after only a few years....hmm decisions, decisions  biggrin.gif

#23 myhandfull

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (ky*cal @ 27/11/2012, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are actually having this same dilemma aswell, we are expecting #5 and currently have landcrusier but was thinking of selling for a people mover, we are looking at the Kia Grand Carnivals, but still unsure as to quality of vechile, as we know a landcruiser will last and last, but fear we will have to turn over the Kia after only a few years....hmm decisions, decisions  biggrin.gif

Stick with the Landcruiser! That's what I'm planning on buying (2nd hand however!) We go camping with our 5. We have a different sized trailer, and our V6 people mover isn't so happy pulling it.

#24 myhandfull

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Looking forward to getting our landcruiser. My children are 9, 7, 5, 3 & 2. So leg room not too much of a worry at this time. The extra seat will be very handy though..... might want to fill it!

#25 myhandfull

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Ahh. Ok. Was looking at the 100 series actually. Only NEED 7 seats, but hopefully as you said, we could use a harness. Thanks for that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.