The birth of Tess Amelia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fairey

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

I apologise in advance for the length of this!

I had the perfect pregnancy. Whilst I did have some morning sickness, it was rather tame (felt ill once a day from 8-13 weeks, and it lasted about 2 minutes. Mainly gagging and I was only actually sick a handful of times) and I felt great the whole way through.

At 38+6 at 11:45pm after having just been to the loo, my waters broke. I woke up my husband and told him that either I'd just peed myself or my waters had broken. My darling, sweet husband had been asleep for an hour and asked if I was absolutely sure (ummm... pretty sure!!) We rang the local hospital and told them and also told them that I was delivering in Adelaide (2.5 hours away). They said to pack everything ready to drive all the way to Adelaide and to go to them first to be checked over.
We were pretty organised (at 39+1 we were planning on going to Adelaide to just wait it out anyways, so the car was packed ready to go) so we each got ready and jumped in the car to head to hospital.

At the local hospital they just pressed on my tum (more waters gushed out) and used the doppler to check bubs' heart rate. Everything was fine, bubs was okay and I definitely had ruptured membranes rather than no bladder control! YAY!
The midwife went and talked to the doctor (I'm assuming on the phone... cos we never saw a doctor?) and came back and told us that we were fine to drive to Adelaide. When she walked into the room again it was 1:15am and I'd just had my first contraction (which I breathed through). She joked that I'd have plenty more of those. She gave us some water proof mat type things (good - didn't want to make a mess of the car) and sent us on our merry way.
I hopped in to the front seat and straight away said to my husband that I needed to move to the back. So after changing seats we got driving.

I watched the clock for a little bit. I had a contraction at 1:23am, then the next at 1:30am. But then the next one came at 1:34am and the next at 1:36am. I moaned to DH "where the f**k is the break!!" and stopped watching the clock.
Very quickly into our trip I was vocalising through each contraction "Owww... Owwww... Owwww" was a favourite. I was also banging on the arm rest and counting 1-4 in my head and visualising the numbers. Two towns later (what is normally a 50 minute drive... have no idea what the time was at this point) hubby asked if I wanted to stop and go to that hospital or keep going. I said (probably moaned or yelled) to keep going.
About an 45 minutes away from hospital we pulled over at another town and I jumped out for what was planning to be one contraction. DH rubbed my back (and had a quick "natural break") and we got back in the car. In the five minutes we'd been out I'd had three contractions.

We arrived at the hospital at 3:30am and were led into a deliver suite. They asked if I wanted pain relief and I said to give me the epidural. The midwife said that I'd have to be at least 3-4cms to get one and that she needed to do an internal. I quickly stripped off and they got me into a rather sexy hospital gown and I hopped onto the bed to be checked. I was praying to be at least 3cms... I don't think neither me or DH were expecting the answer... "You're between 8 and 9 cms dialated".
The midwife then attached a heart rate monitor straight onto bubs' head so I had to continue to labour on the bed. She also said that we could still go for the epi but I'd have to sit completely still for it. I said I'd give it a crack and they gave me the gas in the mean time. It was 4am when they called for the anaesthetist and at 4:30am she went off to hunt for the a
naesthetist. She came back with the news that he was in a c-section and would be a while and that I would have to continue without my epi. So gas it was - and I was finding that it was rather lovely - it definitely took the edge off each contraction and left me rather drugged up in between. But given I'd just been in the worst car ride of my life, drugged up was heavenly!! Though I did ask if I could have a c-section wink.gif
I also think that the car ride and the motion is what made labour in the car so quick, cos I'm certain that things slowed and steadied once we were in hospital.
At 5:30 towards the end of each contraction I found myself involuntarily pushing. At 5:45am another internal found that I was 10cm (whoo!) and ready to give "real" pushing a try. I pushed for a good half an hour (and was constantly asking if I'd done a poo - cos it really felt like I had!) and then... I gave up. Couldn't do it any more (pretty sure I said that lots of times) and I was buggered and over it. I was quite pathetic with my pushing for the next half an hour until the OB (who had come in to see how it was going) said that there were no drugs to help me with this and that it was just up to me to get the job done. He also said I needed to get angry and that I should swear at him. Eh. I flipped him the bird - too tired for angry wink.gif

SO at 6:45am I had renewed enthusiasm and some more people to encourage me. Come to think of it, I have no idea who everyone was, but at one stage there were 4 doctors/obs/midwives down the business and my DH who stayed by my head (not once did he go down there to suss it out... wuss).

At exactly 7:15am on the 16th August (at exactly 39 weeks), our beautiful slippery baby was placed onto my chest. DH teared up and I was speechless and in awe of our baby and of what we had just achieved.
We were asked if we knew what "it" was and we said no. So they lifted "it's" legs for DH to see between them.
"It's a girl!" were the sweetest words from my hubby that day.
Though I replied with "Are you sure? Check again!" (I was guessing boy throughout the whole pregnancy).
Definitely a beautiful baby girl. Tess Amelia was 8pd4oz (3745g), 51cm and had a head circumfernce was 34.5cm.

Labour was 7.5 hours from my waters breaking; 6 hours from my first contraction. I only had the gas and was either confined to the backseat of the car or the bed for the whole thing. I even said to DH (after I'd showered) that I was gutted that I didn't get to shower as a form of pain relief. I'd even packed his boardies so he could get in with me to rub my back. Maybe next time cool.gif But for a first labour - I couldn't ask for any better. I needed some stitches for some internal tearing, but it's nothing to what I got from it.

Tess is just perfect. She's melted my heart from the moment she was first placed on me and I feel so lucky that we have the perfect outcome from the pregnancy - a beautiful daughter wub.gif

#2 ShortAndStout

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

Well done on getting through such a long drive in labour !
Congratulations on your beautiful daughter Tess (love the name too )  biggrin.gif

#3 asignatureofthings

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Congratulations on your daughter. Wow you're brave for labouring in the car for a 2.5hr drive, well done.

Lovely story, thanks for sharing!

#4 LookMumNoHands

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your birth story original.gif

#5 Blueberry3

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Congratulations ! Love the name  wub.gif

#6 TheFirstNoel

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Congrats!  I love your daughter's name.  Thanks for sharing, you did an amazing job!
I laboured in the car with my last one too - nowhere near 2.5 hours worth though!  I think I would have flipped...

#7 Akadia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Congratulations - what a wonderful birth story and very unique! Thank you for sharing :)

#8 Guest_canadianmum_*

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Wonderful story!

Eeep, I have a 2.5 hour drive to Adelaide too.....

#9 Luci

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for posting your story and well done on making that long drive - I had just a 20 min drive to the hospital and that was a nightmare!  You have chosen a lovely name for your DD, one of my DD's has the middle name Amelia as well.

Luci

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.