Due January 2013 Chat thread #12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#26 rabbit hyde

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hey everyone,

Can't believe how quickly time has gone.

As someone who will be giving birth for the first time, I'm also slightly unnerved, but planning on getting into some classes or workshops to assist.  Everytime I go up for an ante natal appointment and see all the newborn babies I think "and I get that out of me how?"

The baby shopping is daunting, we put the stroller and capsule and car seat on lay by.  I try walking into the baby department of stores and then stand there looking vaguely queasy and then I leave.

Is anyone else amazed at the amount of advertising/logos on baby/childrens clothes/toys/manchester.
I just want something reliable and affordable that doesn't make our baby look like a billboard.

#27 *corynbiancasmum*

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hello everybody just a quick update.. I have to really tidy my house so I don't have time for a proper reply. Just to touch base on feeling baby I find this time being my third I felt everything alot quicker than I did the others. I'm 24 weeks tomorrow and for the past 4 weeks I have felt proper kicks on the outside and now can even feel when baby has its back againist my stomach. It goes all hard and is a bizarre feeling. Have to admit I'm really enjoying being pregnant, it's such an amazing feeling and although I can't wait to meet my baby I will miss being pregnant.

Have my 24 check up tomorrow, and getting a scan on Thursday to finally find out the sex of our little one. I have an idea from my 20 week scan but I want to know for sure. I can't wait!!!!!

Hope your all well xxxx

#28 Maybe317

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi all!

I just wrote a whole page worth of personals for you all and went to copy it onto this and because its a new computer I deleted it instead and hadn't saved it! I lost it all!! I was so excited to finally address you all! frustrating. Next time I will for sure!

From what I can remember, congrats to everyone reaching 24 weeks and those who have started to feel movement!

I have read on a few pages that dummies actually reduce the risk of SIDS by 65% or something. I even read that on the SIDS page. But I think I am still against them. For many reasons. I never had one and neither did DH. My mum has a 4 year old and he never had one and I pretty much helped raise him like another mum. I just don't like the idea of them for my child. I dont want to have to go through the weaning process and the risk of teeth issues considering I had so many. AND I'm scared it will effect breastfeeding. but the SIDS thing scares me! Its only new research so I think I will just go with my gut and not use them.

As for the thinking about labour. I think about it all the time. I have a mantra every morning that I say "I am a woman and labour pain is good pain. I can do it". As mentioned before I have studied a little maternity and seen a fair few real births. And I think it is such an amazing process. I want to feel the pain and feel empowered by the whole process. I have watched so many women give birth both naturally and not and both have their benefits and cons. But I have decided for myself that I like the natural birth best. It is the most amazing process and I feel so excited and privileged to do this! Crazy I know. Everyone looks at me gobsmacked when I say I dont want an epidural or any pain relief. I know it will be so so so so painful and that scares me but, the feeling after doing it will be great. I just know it.

I talked to my OB today about my birth plan and what I just said above and she totally agrees. I also told her I am open to any intervention, c-section, change to my birth plan if deemed necessary for bubs and my safety. But she and I both agree that natural is best.  

I think the thing that scares me the most is that I wont be able to do it naturally and that I will need interventions. I have an open mind and I know that nothing ever goes to plan... but I just hope it does. Guess that is all you can do. hope Tounge1.gif

I sound like a real hippie! I'm not. I just think pregnancy and child birth is amazing and have never wanted anything more, since I knew where babies came from, than to do this and be a mum!

#29 *ShirleyTemple*

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone!

EllaMaree - You sound like someone who knows what they want and that is fantastic. You still sound flexible and that is the most important part, as we can never guarantee how everything pans out! I hope you get the all natural birth experience you are hoping for!

corynbiancasmum - Good luck with you appt today and your scan tomorrow, can't wait to hear what you are having!

rabbithyde - I know what you mean about the brands/logos. My DS has hardly any of that stuff, as I really dislike it! There is still lots of choice out there, but the department stores are bad for it! Good luck with your classes, I would recommend a calm birth or active birth class on top of your normal antenatal classes if you have the chance.

trickmyself - congrats on another little boy! Hope the heartburn eases up for you!

Happy daisy & JillyJellyBean - I hear you both on the tired front! Wondering what I've gotten myself into, going back to sleepless nights! Hope you can catch some zzz's soon!

Eleven - the best thing you can do is to go to your classes, ask loads of questions, and they will hopefully give you the information that will ease your anxiety. Unfortunately, when most people share their birth stories in general conversation, its always the most dramatic bits! Doesn't help when you are a first timer. I'd really recommend a calm birth or active birth class as well, as it will teach you many strategies to stay calm and take control of your labour which should help with any anxiety.

Little.One - sounds like your shopping has been lots of fun! I am secretly hoping this baby is a girl so I have a good excuse to do lots of baby shopping once bubs arrives! I have thought about the birth a bit, feeling very happy with my choice for a repeat c section. Think I would be much more anxious if I was trying for a VBAC.

cordyline - Hope you have a lovely time in NZ, bugger about the camp bed though!!

buzz - how did your appt go? DH is being hopeless about names as well, we had it sorted by this stage with DS, so I am very frustrated!

spitzmum - hows your leg/back going? Any relief?

AFM - Had a busy week so far, trying to get everything packed so we can leave for Perth on Friday eeek! There is so much stuff to take when you have a toddler in tow! Have been struggling to find warm clothes for us as its going to be chilly down there!

Absolutely knackered at the moment, DS is teething rather badly and has been very unsettled at night. This in addition to random insomnia and dreams mean that the little sleep I do get is not very beneficial! Wondering how on earth I am going to cope with a newborn!

Got my glucose test results back and they are all good!!

#30 runnybabbit

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi everyone! Just a quick post from me tonight.

I am now 24w5d, and have felt the baby move since 16 weeks. It was 17 weeks with my first, so maybe I just have a sensitive uterus. These days it's all bubbles and popcorn in my belly, what feels like all the time!

I swear I feel like I'm closing in on 35 weeks rather than 25 weeks. Is anyone else experiencing this for subsequent pregnancies? I have SPD as well, and wrangling a 17-month-old sure doesn't help.

Ella Maree I was so scared with #1 about medical intervention; I was open to it but didn't have to have it, if that makes sense. I ended up having a vaginal delivery with gas for pain relief, and I think doing antenatal classes definitely helped -- learning how to consciously relax my body, what positions I was comfortable being in for long periods of time, and teaching my partner how to communicate with me during labour (ONLY yes/no questions, no "How do you want to sit/kneel/lie now?", just "Do you want to lean on me?", "Do you want to get in the shower/bath?" etc.) As it turned out, I ended up labouring mostly in the front passenger seat as we were about four hours south of Perth. wink.gif I think the thing that helped me most was just telling myself over and over again that there were many factors that were out of my control and I could only do my best to have a natural birth.

Shirley Temple my son wakes one to three times a night, so I too am wondering how we are going to fare on the sleep front, especially as everyone says a new baby makes the older siblings regress and become clingy!

I have my glucose test tomorrow, dreading it (the glucose drink and the blood draw). I'm starting to get some reflux as well and also really the weight of the baby when I'm lying in bed (hence feeling more like 35 weeks than 25 weeks!). sad.gif It's soooo uncomfortable. And it just rubs it in when DH is snoring in bed next to me, sound asleep.

#31 *corynbiancasmum*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi everybody.. Well I had my scan on Thursday afternoon and I finally found out the sex of my bubba. However I can't even share it with anybody as my partner doesn't wanna know. But it was the same sex I was told at 20 weeks but now I have been shown the area and told what the sex was I feel at ease. She was 99.9% sure. So I'm pretty happy with that! We had the 3d scan and it simply amazing. My bub is not the most cooperative my first scan at 20weeks baby had its legs crossed and this time bubs was breech with legs in the way. But we still got some great pictures which are absolutely adorable. I can't wait to set the babies nursery up now. Another week and half and I can start painting yay!!!

Hope everybody is well! It's been a bit quiet in here hope everybody is just sleeping and resting original.gif

#32 michcar

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Due with first bubba Jan 4th original.gif

#33 spitzmum

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Welcome michcar!  Hope you have a smooth 15 weeks!

#34 *corynbiancasmum*

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

It's been so quiet in here.. Hope everybody is well! Welcome michcar original.gif

Bubs is being a worm lately, knocked my popcorn off my tummy the other night it was insane. I really feel everything much more early this time than I did with my first two children. That or I have one crazy baby growing hehe. Having alot of groin pain which is something I have never experienced before. Sometimes I am waddling like I am 35 weeks and I find it really painful to roll over in bed at nights and to get in or out of the car. But it's not consistant the pain goes for days and than will come back with a vengeance. Wish I knew how to stop it. Any suggestions???

Toni x

#35 spottydog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi girls,

I read but not much to add lol.

I am 22.3w today, and suffering heartburn now, first time round was a bit later sad.gif Never mind.

Feeling bub all the time and lots of hiccups etc, which is sweet.

We have choosen a name and painted room etc, just buying some clothing etc on ebay and the likes for bub as we had a girl first time, haha. Sold nearly all my girls clothing and made quite a bit of money, but all our things were from Next etc in the UK so good quality and hardly worn.

Anyway chat soon.

spotty.

#36 Maybe317

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Its very quiet on here! I agree. Everyone must be using facebook now.

Coreyandbiancasmum I have been getting hip pain and already fully waddling! everyone at work teases me sad.gif and sometimes I get up off the chair and almost collapse because my hips give way. Hope the groin pain gets better! Every week there is something different. Also congrats on finding out the sex. I wouldnt be able to keep it a secret!

Welcome Michcar

Spottydog you can take stuff for heart burn. How fun is it setting up the nursery =D

AFM, I have been using facebook a lot. DH got a full time job so he can be there for bub and I now and come to the birth classes (he used to do FIFO) and the wage isnt much different from FIFO anyway.
Im 23 weeks now, so close to viability, not that I think anything bad will happen. I just like the milestone. We just set up the entire nursery. Everything is bought and in the right place, but then as soon as we bought everything from target, they announced the big baby sale! NO! pretty unlucky. But oh well. Its all done now. I will just need to do all the washing of the new clothes and bedding a lot closer to the due date and then its done. I am so nesty.

Hope everyone is doing well! come back to EB soon Tounge1.gif

#37 AliGeo

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

*corynbiancasmum* - I can sympathise but not help with the groin pain, I'm in exactly the same boat.

EllaMaree - I don't think you sound like a hippie, yours sounds like a very sensible birth plan. I definately agree with keeping an open mind. When I was pregnant with DD I refused to even think about a c-section, so of course I ended up with one, under general to boot. I will be much more prepared this time around.
I'm also looking forward to viability, it's a nice hurdle to get over.

*ShirleyTemple* - Good news about the gulcose test. Hope that you had/have/are having fun in Perth?

runnybabbit- How did your glucose test go?

michcar - welcome

spottydog - Arrgghh isn't heartburn the worst. Surprisingly I have it less with the twins than I did with DD, the quickeze chewable saved me then and now. Jealous that you get to set up your nursery. We'll be moving before the bubs arrive just not sure when so no set up for us yet.

Hi to everyone I missed waves.gif

AFM - I seem to be growing at a very rapid pace now. We went to a wedding over the weekend and I found it amusing that all the men thought I was huge and the women thought I was small for twins rolleyes.gif

My major complaint at the moment is that I seem to have a constant rock hard belly. Not painful just uncomfortable. Some days are better than others but it's starting to worry me. Still have 3 weeks until my next OB appointment to ask though.

Still waiting for the house to sell mad.gif

#38 *corynbiancasmum*

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

I still can't access fb... I feel left out wahhhh sad.gif

#39 munchmum

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi Everyone

I has been quiet! I'm not on facebook, is there more happening there?

Re thinking about the birth, I am having a c section this time. I'm pretty scared but I had a bad tear with my daughter with a long recovery and some ongoing issues so I don't want to risk tearing even further. Given I grow large babies the chance is pretty high! It's wierd I already know the date though, very different to the unknown of last time.

I sympathise for those having pelvic/hip pain. I'm finding it almost impossible to sleep on my left side due to pain despite a bed full of pilllows so am off to the physio later this week. I've started wearing a pelvic belt I had last pregnancy which helps quite a bit.

I'm also starting to think about toilet training and moving my dd (2.5yrs) to a big bed, but I don't want to time it all wrong or mess up sleeping which is finally going well.  Is anyone else with a toddler doing/thinking about these things?

Re setting up a nursery/clothes shopping some of you are so organised! I haven't done a thing yet, lucky we have a bassinet and I have kept baby clothes, decorating might happen over Christmas.

#40 LoveMyLife

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

There is also a closed FB request - PM *ShirleyTemple* if you've requested access with your email address and real name so that she can add you
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/146527022148596/

She has also set up an email especially for enquiries, so if you are having any dramas, please email her at shirleytempleeb@gmail.com

Edited by LoveMyLife, 26 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#41 runnybabbit

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (AliGeo @ 25/09/2012, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
runnybabbit- How did your glucose test go?

My major complaint at the moment is that I seem to have a constant rock hard belly. Not painful just uncomfortable. Some days are better than others but it's starting to worry me. Still have 3 weeks until my next OB appointment to ask though.

I passed my glucose test with flying colours, thank you! original.gif Of course after I'd downed the 50 g of glucose, the car wouldn't start! So I had to take a taxi to the birth centre. Lucky I made it on time, would hate to have that awful drink for nothing.

I've been having a bruised feeling on the right side of my uterus and the midwife determined that was where the baby liked to put his/her head! And when I'm lying on my back you can actually gently bounce the head like a ball. So whenever I get that hard bruising pain I feel over the spot now, and sure enough, there's a baby head there every time.

QUOTE (munchmum @ 25/09/2012, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also starting to think about toilet training and moving my dd (2.5yrs) to a big bed, but I don't want to time it all wrong or mess up sleeping which is finally going well.  Is anyone else with a toddler doing/thinking about these things?

My toddler isn't as old as yours (he will 20 months in January 2013), but we've thought about moving him to a big bed and decided we'll just buy a secondhand cot. I read about moving toddlers to beds and apparently they have to want to stay in bed. Well, that just isn't my boy. wink.gif

#42 ~buzz~

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Welcome and congrats michcar.

finally after 2 months we have internet set up so I should be able to follow a bit better original.gif bub is being crazy lately woke me up kicking at 4AM Sunday morning and hasn't really stopped since

hope everyone is doing well

#43 cordyline

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi All

Back from a trip to NZ to see family and attend a wedding. I have been reading but not posting. I'm not on facebook - deleted my account about 2 yrs ago.

Like a few of you, I've had the joys of reflux/indigestion for the first time ever last week. It was quite uncomfortable, especially if I was trying to lie down to sleep. I took gaviscon chewable tablets after eating and they worked really well.

Also had:
- unpredictable gas - doesnt seem to be any particular foods triggering it - some days are fine, others are awful
- stretchy/stabby pain in my belly button (I'm worried my innie might pop out or that I might have a hernia or something)
- breathlessness going up/down stairs
- tight/hard belly making it hard to take a deep breath
- bloody nose
- fine downy hair growing on my belly

Other than that, I am glowing! lol - NOT!

Hope you are all well.

#44 *RockTot*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi lovely mummas,
If anyone is interested -  www.mumgo.com.au has up to 60% off a selection of OiOi nappy bags until Monday the 1st.  Spewing I purchased a nappy bag already now, there's one on there that I love!!

#45 spottydog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi ladies,

cordyline, i have some of your symptoms too. WIth DD my belly button which is well and truly a innie, flattened out, but didnt pop right out, from your photo on our other group you are the sameish size to me, im sure you will be fine original.gif

I bought the borri cradle yesterday, a bit of a impulse buy, but i didnt want bub to go right into cot. DD had a bassinet, but when we finished with it we sold it rather than storing is as we had no room. I got the borri one for $150 with mattress. Now off to shop for cute bedding, well flat sheets, thats all ill use lol.

Im unwell today, i have a very sore throat and am worried its a infection, so off to GP in two hrs. Hope DD stays well.

spotty.

#46 spitzmum

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

cordyline - I hear you on the gas!!  And it always seems to appear at rather inconvenient times laugh.gif  The breathlessness is giving me a good excuse to take the elevator at work (even my OB suggested I stop taking stairs or have a 30 second to a minute break between each flight)

Thanks RockTot original.gif

spotty - I've been wondering about a bassinet as well (we already have a cot) - I might see if someone I know has one I can borrow.  Get well soon original.gif

AFM, we went a bit crazy at the Baby & Toddler Expo today.  Bubba Mats were great deals - we bought the largest size for our downstairs tiled area and a medium size for upstairs in the nursery.  Also bought some nursing tops, more MCNs, a forehead thermometer, a b/f pillow and some other bits and pieces.

Still have some things on my list - I will check out the Target baby sales this weekend as well as the Baby Bunting sales.

Is anyone not buying a specific nappy bag?  I'm thinking of just using an existing bag of the same size and putting everything in there.  Anyone done it this way?

Oh - and my hands and feet are swelling in the little hot spell we've had in Sydney - can't get my wedding and engagement rings off!

#47 Happy_daisy

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've noticed swelling too Spitz with the warmer weather, but in my case it's feet and ankles. Sigh! Sign on things to come I guess!

We use an actual nappy bag, but only because someone got me one for a baby shower gift. A similar sized bag would be just as good though, just make sure it has lots of pockets! And I like a longer handle so I can hang it from the back of the pram.

Hope you're feeling better soon Spotty sad.gif I've been thinking of getting a bassinet too, we borrowed one from a friend first time around and I found it really useful - little tiny newborns look so lost in a big cot!

Cordyline I'm hearing you on a lot of those symptoms! I got stretchy/stabby pains in and around my belly button too, but it was just all my skin stretching. I find lots of moisturiser helps.

Buzz my baby loves kicking overnight too! I love feeling it moving around in there wub.gif

Munchmum we're also trying to decide when to move DD to a big kids bed and toilet training, but I don't want to be making too many changes around when baby is due. I think if she shows signs of wanting to try either we'll give it a go, but won't push it. Like runnybabbit I'm worried she just won't stay in bed if we move her out of the cot!

Hello everyone else! waves.gif Hope you're all doing well!

#48 JillyJellyBean

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hello ladies,
I too am wondering about moving my 2.5 yr old into a big bed. I think I have finally settled on leaving him in his cot a bit longer. He really likes his bed and he sleeps (mostly) pretty well. I imagine (same as Runnybabbit?) that he would be getting up and wondering about if he had the chance. I can just imagine finding him watching tele at 3am! eeek. I havent atrated tt yet either, and hes still using a dummy. I guess Ill have to wait a little till after bub is born. Pople say they regress a little? Is this true. Heavensm, Im gonna have my work cut out for me.
Sorry people here are experiencing pains. I have a horrid cold at the moment. I went to the dr yesterday and he told me to take a little (it gives constipation so you have to be careful) Panadeine. For the first night in weeks I woke up without a sore back. Might be worth a try for those in heaps of pain. Just remember to keep up the fruits/veg and lots of water to keep the bowels moving. (sorry but its got to be said).
Thats it for me, we are off to Sydney to catch up with family for the whole weekend, so Im terribly excited. Have a great weekend everyone biggrin.gif

#49 spitzmum

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Another shopping day for me - Baby Bunting, Target and My Baby Warehouse original.gif

Unfortunately the Target cot sheet sets (so cheap!) don't fit our cot - but found Bubba Blue sets on sale at MBW - 1 set at 50% off, another at 20% original.gif

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

#50 sharkie81

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here for a while but have been keeping up on FB.

We're going well. 24 weeks now. Have out GTT test in about 3 weeks. My OB makes his patients do a 75g glucose drink and I remember with DS I had numb lips a few hours afterwards as my insulin must have overcompensated! Needless to say, I passed! My DS was 4.4kg so I'm worried I might not pass this time.

Re: the move to a big bed and TT. DS is 2yr 4 mths and we transitioned him to a big bed about a month ago. It was a very smooth transition. He's moved into a whole new room so he got to help pick the paint colour, decided what I would paint on some canvases for him (I'm no artist but found a train and a fire truck online and traced them) and he came shopping for all his new furniture. I would encourage you to do it now if your toddler seems ready. It cost about $1500 with all the new furniture so that isn't something we would entertain while on one income after bub is born. We formed a new routine of reading books in bed together, then kiss and cuddle goodnight and I leave him to fall asleep in his bed. He's never once tried getting out of bed. I go back in to close the door and turn off his bedside light, and pull up blankets once he is asleep. He gets up in the am about 6am (when my alarm goes off anyway) and comes straight to my side of the bed and pokes me! LOL It has been such an easy transition- he needed to be patted when he was in his cot.

We also started TT last weekend as he asked to put on underpants. He's had some accidents, but on the whole is doing very well. It helps that he is at daycare too so observes what the others kids do and he has only had 2 accidents there. I don't think I would have attempted this pre-2nd baby if he hadn't initiated it though. I am firmly in the camp of "you need to wait until they show signs of readiness".

Anyone else really short-tempered with their partners? Poor DH- he can't do anything right at the moment. I have been reading my old pregnancy journal and I wrote that I was being hard to live with at this stage in my last pregnancy too....

Glad to hear you are all doing well. Isn't time flying? Almost October!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.