Mirena - making me sick?
Need to decide by tomorrow whether to take out!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nanns

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Ladies

Almost a year ago I had a mirena put in. After a few months of spotting, things settled down and I have been thrilled to barely have had a period since.

Downside (and I am not sure if I can attribute this to the mirena) - my boobs are really sore oftern, my ovaries regularly feel swollen and sore, I always feel like I am about to get my period but never do, I feel quite depressed and anxious, my joints hurt all the time and my health has been crap. I recently had a whole heap of blood work which came back with all sorts of anomolies in relation to antibodies and thyriod.

It could be all a coincidence or the mirena.

I can get into see my gyno tomorrow afternoon (and then he is going on leave for a month) to take it out but I dread the retrun of my period. Given how unpleasant it was to get it in, I don't know what to do.

I know it is a process of elimination (and I am not asking for medical advice) but has anyone had similar experiences. Did you feel better when the mirena came out?

Argh, I wonder whether I should just sit it out for longer.

WDYT?

#2 Nanns

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

I forgot to add, if you had it taken out, what form of contraception did you find more suitable?

#3 Tobias'smum

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

i will be following as i may be having it put in

#4 ~Winter~

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

I had a mirena put in after a lap for endometriosis. I hate the mirena! I gained weight - about 6-7 kilos in less than 6 months while still exercising and eating well, I was still having horrific periods, acne went nuts, moods were terrible and I felt depressed. It also slipped down and was poking my husband - not fun for anyone! I've gone back on yaz- the pill and my skin cleared up, I started being able to lose weight again and my moods went back to normal. I had been on Yasmin/yaz for the 7 or so years prior

#5 Kez82

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

There's a fair bit of stuff on the WWW about how sick the Mirena is making people.

I suffered badly with neuro symptoms - underwent testing for MS (as all symptoms pointed to this) but it came back clear. As a last resort I had my Mirena removed, and after a week or 2 I was symptom free. It was the Mirena playing havoc with my body.

Having it removed is super easy and can be done by most GPs. Not painful at all

#6 ReadySetRace

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

My mirena's wonderful, can't fault it.  But give it a 6 month break and see if that's the issue.

What other contraception will you use?

#7 bailee

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

I had one for a few years and it wasn't till I had it removed that I realised how much it had been affecting me. I was using mine for medical treatment not contraception and it was a better option for me than pills which left me with depression and fatigue. But still the Mirena left me in what I would describe as a fog, it really dulled my feelings and energy levels and I had been putting it down to simply being a parent.

I'd say take it out and see how you go. I noticed a difference within a week after taking it out.

#8 Riebe

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

I had the mirena for many years, and as i started to put on a bit more weight, and also to have more problems with breakouts on my skin, I decided that to rule things out i'd get it taken out.
I too was worried about the return of periods, and it hadn't been exactly fun getting it put in either.
I didn't notice any change in my skin or weight or any other symptoms that i was hoping to pin on the mirena after taking it out.
We ended up getting pregnant not long after having it removed, but i will be considering using it again in the future.
I know a lot of people online seem to say they have problems with it, and i'm sure they do - however just thought i'd share the flip side - for me it is a great form of contraception.
Think maybe the weight gain and skin problems in my case were due to either stress or ageing original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.