How many overnight feeds at 4 months
Breastfed baby

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Fright bat

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

By the way - what there is NO evidence to support is the notion than solids or formula make babies sleep better at night. In fact, most solids at this age have fewer calories for stomach volume than breast milk. So while I have no objection to a baby who can sit up and is interested being offered solids at 5 months, I don't think solids should be forced on a baby who is not showing signs of readiness in the false notion it might make them sleep better.

#27 Fright bat

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (follies @ 20/09/2012, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is why I say to ask your doctor, but to have every mum start solids on the day they turn 4 months I doubt that they are all ready.

Telling people to see a GP to ask if their baby can start solids is daft. It's food, not a prescription medication. GPs have better things to do than see babies to assess if they are ready for food (which can't be assessed in an examination room!). The signs of food readiness are available freely, and in Vic distributed at the four month MCHN checkup. A baby who is not ready just won't know how to swallow it anyway. I honestly don't think it's a big deal.

#28 ~katiez~

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

My DD is 4 months old and the majority of nights we wake once or twice for boob. She has woken me three times on two occasions and slept through (10-12 hours without any help) about 8 times, a couple of which have been in the last two weeks. But! Her day sleeps usually add up to about 1-2 hours in total if I'm lucky, so by night time she's wrecked!

#29 Stoked

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Dylan's Mummu @ 20/09/2012, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that some of the women in your group may be lying.

If they are lying, they're pretty good at it! Damn convincing, too original.gif

QUOTE (MsN @ 20/09/2012, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way - what there is NO evidence to support is the notion than solids or formula make babies sleep better at night. In fact, most solids at this age have fewer calories for stomach volume than breast milk.

I know that, but IRL experiences seem to suggest otherwise. The MCHN mentioned it, some mothers in my mothers group swear by solids (starting or increasing volume once started helped them), it's one of the things suggested/actioned in sleep schools as well. And of course both my mother and MIL were like 'Oh, the baby is hungry, your milk is not enough'. I guess I'll just continue revelling in my successful BF experience and the fact that while others may have good sleepers my baby is a good feeder original.gif.

#30 hatters

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

My DD is 13 weeks and sounds very similar to yours!  She will only take one boob at a time, and feeds quite often during the day - generally 2-3 hours.  Our routine at night is:

5ish last day nap
6ish feed
7.30 feed
8ish bedtime
then she will wake around about 11, 1, 3, 5 and 6/ 6.30

i was just thinking this morning how frustrating the overnight waking is so I completely sympathise!  i have tried spacing the feeds in the day, getting her to drink more etc but none of it works.  she is hungry when she's hungry and will stop when she's full.  the only other thing i thought i might try is waiting a while when she wakes up at night to see if she will go back to sleep, but I'm 99% sure she's hungry and won't go back to sleep.  basically i have resigned myself to not having a good nights sleep until she is on solids and can hopefully get fuller.  i have to admit i have a little theory as to why she will only take 1 boob at a time - my older daughter is lactose intolerant and used to do the same thing.  my theory is that 2 boobs at once is too much lactose (as this is the first milk which comes out) hence lactose intolerant babies may only feed off one boob and therefore need more regular feeds.  just a thought!

#31 Phoenix Blue

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

My DD was 4 months last week. Fully breastfed. She's been a really good night sleeper with often a last feed around 9-10pm, then sleeping until 3-5am for another feed. Then sleep until 7ish.

That's all gone completely out the window in the last week and a half though. I think it is a growth spurt/sleep regression/wonder week/leap whatever.

We've had a couple of nights of 1-2 hourly wake ups, many nights of feeds at 10,1,4,6. Quite unsettled in the early evening and early morning. Harder to put down than previously. I'm pretty much co-sleeping again from the first wake up - or if I don't co-sleep, I don't bother to move her into her cot, I just leave her in the double, and I go back to the other bed. I just feed at every wake up. Although I did notice the last 2 nights she hasn't really wanted a feed at the 5am wake up, so I've just resettled (which she found hard) but once she was asleep again she slept another couple of hours.

Really hoping it is just a phase and she'll move on from it soon. I LOVED her good sleeping previously, and know I was very lucky. From everything I've read, 4 months is the classic time for sleep problems.

As an aside, there is NO WAY my baby is even remotely ready for solids, I can't imagine even trying her yet - food just isn't on her radar at all.

ETA - DD is a one boob girl as well. Only rarely will she finish one boob and want the other (mostly during growth spurts). I agree with the Lactose thing - we have green poo problems and I find one boob is better for her.

Edited by Phoenix Blue, 22 September 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#32 Dettol

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

My son was sleeping from 6pm till 6am pretty much every night on a ( As were others in my mums group and I was certainly not lying) regular basis from around 8 weeks to 14 weeks, then it all went out the window.  He popped a tooth early, and woke up 3 times for a few nights grizzling. I fed him, gave him a cuddle and he went straight back to sleep.

Now he gets me up a few times a night for a feed, at first was a shock getting up again at night.  Don't know if its a habit I created, or just one of those things.  The night wakings coincided with him starting to sleep for 1-2 hour stretches during the day ( previously he would not do anything other than cat nap during the day).

I was one of the ones that found a dream feed only caused him to wake up earlier that he would with out one for another feed.  So I don't ever bother with trying it any more.  He goes down at around 6:30, wakes me up at &;30 for a feed and goes straight back to sleep.  Then he sleeps till midnight wakes up and wants to feed, and then again at around 4.    Our MCHN said anything under 4 hours is comfort feeding unless there are supply issues, or a growth spurt for 48 hours.

I figure I would prefer the day sleeps and being able to get things done, and a few night wake ups.

#33 AliasMater

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

My 9 month old has never 'slept through' and at the moment is constantly wanting a feed every sleep cycle. So about 8 times a night. *Yawn!!*

#34 ~katiez~

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 20/09/2012, 04:05 PM)
I would say most are lying.

All of my friends from antenatal classes babies are sleeping through too glare.gif
It made me think my DD's 8 hour stretches weren't very good which after reading this thread I think they are!

Edited by ~katiez~, 23 September 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#35 littlesticky

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

17 week DD used to sleep 6 hour stretches, but now can't last 3 overnight. She also fusses at the boob but refuses formula and solids. I'm putting it down to the 4 month sleep regression and hoping it'll pass soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.