Was BFing hard for you ?
At 6 weeks

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 minidiamond

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good idea on the little goals, Katie, I'll take that on board.  BFing til Monday will get me through to seeing a local area health nurse who can hopefully watch me feed & hopefully has some idea about lactation (can be a bit hit & miss at the local clinic, although they are lovely).

lucky 2, thanks for the tips on the shield - definitely got the wrong one.  I was in a rush at the baby store so didn't consult a sales assistant.

#52 Libertine

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Nipple shields saved me. I found that it still hurt for 2-3 days when I started using the shields but then they allowed me to heal enough to make it bearable it then got better from then on. Give it a bit of time using the shield before you expect results (if you can)

I still have a scar on one of my nipple it was so badly ravaged but it healed, and I went on to bf easily and without pain for over a year.

I've got no. 2 coming in a few weeks and I'm hoping I don't get a repeat of the 'stapler to the nipple' feeling!

#53 nicolelh

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

BFing dd1 was 18 weeks of pain. She required suck training, and chiropractic.

DD2 was 11 weeks of pain - tongue tie not diagnosed until 5 weeks, required a snip at 5 and again at 6 weeks. then some suck training and all good.

DD3 about 16 weeks of pain. tongue tie diagnosed early and snipped at 8 days so I thought it would be ok, but scar tissue grew over the incision so she needed a repeat at 9 weeks. Also twice weekly sessions at paediatric chiropractor as her occiput was jammed up making her chew on the nipples.

Sudden start of problems at 6 weeks sounds like possible posterior tongue tie as baby is getting bigger, tie can get tighter. Also strongly consider getting her to the chiropractor. Ask the LC if they are experienced in diagnosing posterior tongue ties. Ask them if they have seen examples from BRIDGET INGLE. She is the only LC who picks up the really hard ones - she lectures all around the country so many LCs have now had some training with her. If you are in Brisbane or nearby get an appointment with DR TERRY RUSSELL  at Russell Medical Centre to check for tongue tie - he can also pick up the really unusual cases.

I would caution against trying antibiotics - they would worsen thrush. If you get sharp shooting pains in breast or nipples even an hour or more after the feeds, that does sound like thrush. Often the topical or even oral antifungals don't work unless you go on v. low sugar diet. Do try eliminating all sugar, honey, maple syrup, juice and dried fruit and keep even fresh fruit to a minimum for a few days. The idea just being to keep your blood glucose levels nice and even so yeast hasn't got as much to feed on when you have sugar spikes.

Switch to cloth breastpads without any waterproof backing for a while adn change frequently. Disposable breast pads will give me thrush within hours, even if they're not wet. They just don't breathe enough. Lansinoh can definitely make thrush worse. Experiment with and without. VIRGIN COCONUT OIL can kill thrush AND helps soothe nipples. Worth its weight in gold - health food stores should have it.

If baby hasn't got a good sucking action then shields can make it worse. Ask the LC to do a newborn suck assessment with a finger. Ask them to show you how to finger feed, then try it. If he opens and closes his mouth on your finger (chews/bites) or if it hurts your finger at all, then there is a sucking motion problem, which usually means a chiro problem or a tongue tie. If finger feeding is comfortable for you and baby just pulls the finger in without losing suction and without opening and closing his mouth on the finger, then it's more likely a thrush/attachment/overuse problem.

I've had some of the most technically difficult cases with all three girls. I screamed during feeds for 13 weeks with the first. Each baby was slightly better in terms of the maximum pain level, though none were even slightly easy to feed at first. I fed DD1 until 17 months and I Was 19 weeks preg. I feed DD2 until 28 months and I was 7 weeks preg and DD3 is 6 months and going strong. It's worth persisting.

Hope some of this more detailed info helps,
Nicole

#54 ~katiez~

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Liltuss how is the feeding going today and how are you feeling? original.gif

#55 minidiamond

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (~katiez~ @ 23/09/2012, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Liltuss how is the feeding going today and how are you feeling? original.gif

It hurts but we are soldiering on thanks Katie

The pain between feeds seems to have subsided thanks to thrush treatment I think - the more specific nipple pain and rawness is still there both during and between feeds, but hopefully will heal. I spent chunks of yesterday walking around the house topless. (Kate Middleton eat your heart out)

#56 Sassenach2

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Great to hear that you are soldiering on and remember that bubs can get more out than a pump can. The village is cheering for you. bbighug.gif

#57 lucky 2

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 23/09/2012, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes this was me too. I had loads and loads of milk, but if I tried to express all systems would shut down and my boobs would sulk for an hour.

laughing2.gif sulky boobs should at least have a bit of a weep.
I also found it impossible to let down to a pump (even the top of the range) so I gave up trying until 8 months when I had to, and I did let down and after that it was easy.
It was a matter of deep breathing, hot pack and a warm drink for me. It can be a bit of a confidence trick and anxiety gets in the way.

#58 ~katiez~

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

That sounds promising! It's already Sunday afternoon so Monday will be here very soon and you will have made it!

The village is most definitely cheering ddance.gif

#59 minidiamond

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Today's update:-

1030pm last night - horrible, excruciating, DS fussed all over the place with wind/needing to poo.  Fed as much as I could bear & comped.
2am - ok, managed to get through, I just take him off if he fusses and didn't want to much so was able to feed, really sore, cold compress on afterwards which provided a bit of relief
530am - unbearable, he fussed around, I immediately gave up & fed entire feed with formula. Expressed afterwards
930am good feed, but quite painful, DS was nice & calm, however afterwards is beyond painful, only just been able to put a top back on with any material hurting  sad.gif

Called some private LCs & was able to get one for a home visit this afternoon .....

Edited by Liltuss, 24 September 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#60 lucky 2

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Sorry to hear things still not going well, good luck today with LC original.gif.
Wondering if you know of Multi-Mums, if they kept in the fridge ? soothing. They are not for thrush, designed for sore nipples, damaged etc.

#61 minidiamond

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 24/09/2012, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to hear things still not going well, good luck today with LC original.gif.
Wondering if you know of Multi-Mums, if they kept in the fridge ? soothing. They are not for thrush, designed for sore nipples, damaged etc.

I just googled, they sound good.
Have just been using a cold/hot compress, bosom buddies.

thanks lucky,

#62 Mayan

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Sounds like you're having a terrible time Liltuss, I really hope private LC can help. Just wanted to say I remember with my first DD being up at night crying wishing something would happen where I couldn't physically breastfeed anymore so I could allow myself to switch to formula - I think that was around 6 weeks. Luckily this feeling passed and I persisted (although I wasn't really in pain or having any of the issues you're facing) and by 8 weeks was finding it much easier and a more pleasant experience. Wishing you all the best!

#63 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time OP.   I don't have much to suggest sorry.  You can take Nurofen or panadol to help with the pain.  

I found BFing difficult for the first 8 weeks as DS was not attaching properly and it was quite uncomfortable (not painful).  At around 8 weeks something changed and after that it was so much easier.  But it sounds as though attachment is not really an issue for you.

I did have thrush once, but not until he was much older and BFing was well established.  The pain is so excruciating, it must be so hard to deal with when you are both still learning.

#64 iwanttosleepin

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Yes - DS1 was very hard to feed.  Having been born at 36 weeks weighing 4pds 5 oz.  We expressed and top up fed (via finger feeding) for weeks.  Did use a bottle for supplements but this was nearly very closely the end for us.  but then I decided I could do it, ditched the bottle and mummy won that battle.  I was weeks of exhaustion.

DS2 was easy.  He had read the manual!

#65 Franny Glass

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Liltuss how did it go with the private LC?

#66 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Lituss, yeah how did it work out with the private LC coming over? Hope she was able to help you resolve any problems.

I am following this thread with interest as I had bfg issues with DS1 when he was born.

Some of you mentioned about using nipple shields. I understand we should see a lactation consultant to determine the sizes of shields but I am not about to give birth yet.

Can those of you ladies who have used nipple shields share how we can choose the right size? Is it by the nipple size? Or baby's stages?

I struggled with very sore bleeding nipples before and would like to get them before giving birth, in case I need them. I am interested in the Medela contact nipple shields. Thanks in advance!

#67 lucky 2

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi pp, could you see a LC prior to birth, it really depends on the reason for the attachment difficulty that led to the nipple damage, ie was it baby related (ie sleepy, not opening mouth widely, tongue tie) or mother (needing to learn more about positioning and attachment or short/inverted nipples) or a mix of the 2.
It depends where you are giving birth, is there a LC on staff?
It is often a wait and see approach as latch might be better this time and shields are usually not helpful until your milk is coming in.

#68 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 25/09/2012, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi pp, could you see a LC prior to birth, it really depends on the reason for the attachment difficulty that led to the nipple damage, ie was it baby related (ie sleepy, not opening mouth widely, tongue tie) or mother (needing to learn more about positioning and attachment or short/inverted nipples) or a mix of the 2.
It depends where you are giving birth, is there a LC on staff?
It is often a wait and see approach as latch might be better this time and shields are usually not helpful until your milk is coming in.

I wont be using them yet, neither right after birth. I just want to prepare one/two just in case they are eventually needed. I can always see the LC after giving birth at the hospital, but it would be good to just standby one/two. original.gif

#69 minidiamond

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi all, thanks again for your concern.

The LC that came seems adamant that it's thrush so we're treating that aggressively.  Diflucan & canesten for me, daktarin oral gel for DS. I re-started that more aggressive treatment (tried a diflucan last week) yesterday.  Feeding seems to be a little easier but there are times through the BF-ing 'cycle' that it hurts to wear a bra, usually after feeding.  When my boobs are 'filling up' approaching a feed, I get a mild burning, and also waves of pressure on the side of the breasts, plus burning/sore nipples.  The wave on the side of the breast is like someone is pressing in either side of me.

She said his attachment looks good, gave me a few tips to tweak things & try to minimise any pinching on the nipple.  I am fairly certain (and so was she) there's no tongue tie - in fact he's just discovered his tongue so doing alot of poking in & out & it comes out a long way, in looking online re tongue tie, that wouldn't indicate an issue.  He feeds well, sucking & swallowing and getting lots of milk.

The diflucan is taken every second day (3 tablets) so I am just crossing my fingers that in five days time it will be fixed.  Not sure what I'll do if not ....

Anyway, little one is 'calling' me ....

#70 lucky 2

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Would a Nipple ease help-
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalogue/...are/nipple-ease
To take any pressure off your nipples?

I wont be using them yet, neither right after birth. I just want to prepare one/two just in case they are eventually needed. I can always see the LC after giving birth at the hospital, but it would be good to just standby one/two.

Unless you have tiny nipples and you want to take one to hosp with you, the large size tends to be used more often.
Sometimes the LC will have these to try in the hosp and some Hosps sell them too.

#71 greenthumbs

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hi OP

I used these.

http://www.babiesonline.com.au/_products/F...CFcQipQodv38ADQ

We had a tough time until about 8 weeks. No thrush, no tongue tie, LC's and ABA said his latch looked good, no-one could figure it out. I put some of it down to his mouth being too small to take in enough nipple to not cause damage. But who knows, it got better eventually and we're going strong at 13months original.gif

I remember my toes curling before and during every feed. Lying down during the feed was also the best for us. I did this for almost every feed in the early months. There was also a point when showering was absolute agony. Anything touching my nipples was sheer agony - even a breeze would bring tears. I would shower with my hands over my nipples sad.gif

But it got better. I used those shields above for a week or so which helped (only at home obviously). I used lansinoh which was soothing, but found the breast milk and air drying seemed the best for damage.

Good luck and I hope it sorts itself out asap for you!

#72 Franny Glass

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for updating us OP. Glad you've got a plan to tackle the thrush and best of luck with it improving quickly for you. Hoping pain-free feeding is just around the corner for you original.gif

#73 Ianthe

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

For me it was around 6-8 weeks when I felt more comfortable physically. See if you can hang on a couple more weeks because if you can get past that then it is pretty easy from that point on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.