FYOS 2013
... not too early anymore, it's NOW!

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 mum850

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Clearly a bit excited about my last child starting school. She is being early entered and won't  know anyone from kindergarten. SHe kind of knows the school although is usually (read always) in childcare when we pickup the other kids!
She is already looking forward to her three induction days in November. I am sooo excited, about starting school of course, but also not having to drive/walk  different kids to different places!
She is a very confident and outgoing child so I am not worried even though she will be quite young.

Is just anyone allowed to start a FYOS thread? LOL!

Edited by mum850, 29 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#2 mum850

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

maybe it IS too early, no-one wants to play!

#3 baddmammajamma

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hey stranger!

I'll play!

My "baby" is starting school as well. No early entry, but with an October birthday, can you believe he is actually one of THE youngest? Who would've thought!

He is very excited. I am very excited.

After one super duper complicated child (who is quite spectacular in her own funky way), it will be fun & interesting to send one off to school who is a real people pleaser and just an all around easy kid. I think he is going to do beautifully at school.

#4 mum850

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi BMJ!
It will be so great to have all the kids in one place.
Is he excited?

#5 Feral Snow

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'm excited about my eldest starting next year.  She's had 3 orientation sessions already (story & art session) which she's really enjoyed.  She was excited to see other kids she knew there, and so relieved to see there were "little kids" already at the school i.e. the current preps.  She'd been really scared about going to a school with big kids, big boys in particular.

They have another 3 orientation sessions to go in Oct, Nov & Dec.  I'm also looking forward to buying her school uniform, although I'm shocked at the cost - have put some $$ away already for that.

#6 muggins_00

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'll play! Sending my first off to school next year, he's excited and I'm teary!

#7 baddmammajamma

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 22/09/2012, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My one and only is off to school next year. We've just finished the transition program and have orientation coming up in October.

I was incredibly worried about how he'd go, but he has breezed through transition and is so excited to be going everyday next year. The school have been very accommodating of his special needs, which has really eased my anxiety about it all.

I think the start of school is a huge deal for most kids (and their parents), but Ferdinand, I can appreciate how especially true that is for those of us who have kids with special needs. That's so wonderful that you've found a school that is accepting and flexible -- these are qualities that have made my daughter's experience at school a positive one as well.

Good luck to ALL of our little FYOSers! Do you guys remember your own first days at school? I was counting the hours!

#8 bubblebear

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

My DS1 starts next year. Oh, my heart. He'll be fine I think, knows quite a few from kinder including his three closest friends. He has been excited, although the other day told me it goes for too long...'you do stuff, then you have a play, then more stuff, then another play, but then you have to do MORE stuff before you can go home!'. But he's pretty confident and I think he's ready for it, he's a May birthday and at kinder is one of the oldest.

#9 Kalota

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Not too early at all! I'm a FYOS teacher and our Prep transition program starts when we return from these school holidays! I can't wait to meet the kinder kids but at the same time I'm a little bit nervous (as I am every year about meeting the newbies!)

#10 ames_78

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

My DS starts school next year.  He's my oldest so it's a whole new experience (been a new enough experience this year with kinder).
unfortunately his kinder isn't the closest to the school so he doesn't know any of the kids.

Already taken him to 2 orientation days.  He is extremely anxious and first time I ducked away but second time he wouldn't let me leave so I was forced to hang around (he also had a bit of a breakdown when it was suggested his "buddy" show him the toilets).  thinking next session I'll just have to leave him and let the teachers deal with him being upset.  He took a while to settle into kinder so I'm sort of used to it, but it's still really hard seeing h, upset.

2 days a week next year he'll have to be in after school care for approx an hour, but thinking Air might try and finish work early for at least that first week or so to try and help him settle.

Also have app't with paed in a couple of weeks to discuss DS's anxiety (and a few other things)- his kinder teacher thinks he's tactile sensitive and does cross crawling (I think I phrased that correctly).

#11 mum850

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (ames_78 @ 06/10/2012, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
his kinder teacher thinks he's tactile sensitive and does cross crawling (I think I phrased that correctly).

I am going to show my ignorance here, what's cross crawling? Why is a 4 year old crawling at kinder anyway LOL?
We have orientation in Nov. I can't wait!
I hope he feels less anxious next time.

#12 mum850

his kinder teacher thinks he's tactile sensitive and does cross crawling (I think I phrased that correctly).

I am going to show my ignorance here, what's cross crawling? Why is a 4 year old crawling at kinder anyway LOL?

#13 mum850

#14 mum850

#15 baddmammajamma

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Gee, mum850, you must really want to know what cross crawling is! wink.gif

#16 mum850

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 06/10/2012, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gee, mum850, you must really want to know what cross crawling is! wink.gif

I do ! I hate it when I read something I don't understand! I am imagining moving the wrong limbs at the same time, but I didn't know there was a "right" way to crawl!

edited to add, oh you probably meant the double post. oops!

Edited by mum850, 06 October 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#17 Hattie

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

My one and only starts next year too - we're in Qld so it's called prep year here. He will only be 4 when he starts (5 in May '13) but is clearly ready. Me not so much. I could actually cry right now just thinking about it, and I am usually a very hard case! But this is my baby ... Sob, sob.

Julie

#18 ames_78

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Haha all all the same posts mum850
hmm still trying to figure it out really...but it all came about because DS would start off writing his name with one hand and then change to writing the rest with his other hand.

#19 LookMumNoHands

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Our youngest is starting his FYOS next year too.
I'm excited. For him, because he is so super ready to be going. And for me, because our third is due in May, so am looking forward to some quality time for myself before the baby comes.

He's an October baby, but I'm not sure if he's one of the youngest.

He's had 3 visits to school so far, doing art and story time. He received a welcome letter in the mail from his Prep teacher, which also included a school drink bottle and a t-shirt that says "I'm a prep in training. XYZ primary school 2013" on it. All the kids look so cute in them  biggrin.gif

#20 Monket

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

DD is staring prep next year and she is excited.  She has been attending kindy at the school this year and as her brother is currently in prep she knows the teacher, the room, etc.  the school is small and only has one prep class.  She is one of the young ones (April baby) but she is more than ready and I know she will do great.

Sadly, not a lot of her kindy class are going to school there so there may be a lot of new faces for her.  We would have liked to change schools too for a number of reasons, but both kids are excited about next year and DS has a few things going on that make it difficult to move him around.  I sincerely hope that 2013 is great for both of them.

#21 michelle120773

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Sending my eldest off to FYOS next year...I'm still in denial most of the time! cry1.gif

We bought his uniform this week - they asked me to bring him in early in case they needed to special order stuff as he is really small - its all size 4 and all way too big!  Will need to get most of it altered but will be waiting till January in case of an unexpected growth spurt!

We have a transition day in late November but kinder is doing lunchbox practice over the next few weeks to ensure they know how to use their lunchboxes and can determine what to eat when.i

My next challenge will be finding school shoes to fit him (he's about an 8.5!)  

Can't believe how expensive starting school is thought oomg.gif  and we still have shoes and books to go!

#22 michelle120773

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Has anyone else had to fill out the Transition to School paperwork yet?  We were given it yet byt the kinder.  I have to fill out part, I have to fill out a part with DS (in his words) and then the early child educator fills our a part

#23 tres-chic

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

DS2 starts next year too, one year behind his big brother (who I hope will look out for him, but who knows?  smile1.gif ).

The orientation programme starts tomorrow and I'm going to pick up his uniform too. He is really excited. He going to be one of the younger kids in the year but is very placid so should be fine. He's already had some OT to help improve his pencil grip, etc.

DS1's had a rocky year (ADHD) so I hope this one is slightly less traumatic for all!

#24 mum850

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I haven't had a transition statement but a friend had one emailed to her so she sent it to me and I had a look. I don't think we had them when my last child started.
I emailed the special ed teacher today to see what the go was. I am worried about being left out of the loop as DD is having early entry and we keep getting left off lists. She said the visit to preshools had started but she was not sure when hers would be. Come to think of it, my older kids didn't have this either... are your FYOS kids getting a visit from a teacher to their preschool or child care centre?

Was a bit funny, there's a bit where you ask your kid what they are looking forward to about starting school. Drawing, painting, playing. Learning, say I? Reading? No way, mum. LOL

#25 michelle120773

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

No visits from teachers here but we have the kids going tp about 12 different schools so logiistically difficult I guess.  I've almost finished completing the form, just need to do DS's part with him but the questions I found were realy broad and difficult to give precise answers to

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.