FYOS 2013
... not too early anymore, it's NOW!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#26 michelle120773

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Is anyone else really worried about how their LO will transition?  

DS has been at daycare/kinder since he was 6 months old so I'm sure he will adjust to the days just fine.  He is a very confident, outgoing, energetic and smart little boy.

I have 3 mjor worries though;

1.  DS is small for his age (think the size of an average 3 year old)  He is almost 99cm tall, 14 kg and wears a size 3-4.  I worry about him being picked on because he is the smallest

2.  He has trouble listening (what 5 year old boy doesn't, right?)  But I worry that at school this will be a major issue.  He does really well while you have his attention but once this waines...that's it, its al down hill!

3.  He cries!  If he doesn't get to go first, doesn't get his way, doesn't get a turn, gets told no, doesn't get listened to, is tried....there could be any number of reasons but he cries.  It drives me CRAZY at home and I worry this will be an issue at school.

So tell me ladies...anyone else have similar concerns or am I over thinking this?

#27 Freddie'sMum

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm worried how the school will cope with DD#2 - she is an October baby - so is starting FYOS (Kindergarten) here in NSW next year.  

DD#1 is very shy and quiet and sensitive.  Teachers love her.

DD#2 is a commando, should be running the marines, or the army or invading countries.  Is outgoing, confident and screams and tantrums when things don't go according to HER exact plan.

I'm going to apologise in advance to whatever teacher she gets.

Then run .......

#28 michelle120773

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Ferdinand I'm glad things went so well with the transition that must be very reassuring

FreddiesMum DS is an October baby too and even so is one of the youngest in his kinder class - little and young,  They tell me at kinder though he is the Alpha Male in the room (I wonder how anyone so small can be the Aplha anything!)  Apparently he has so much confidence and charisma he charms the others into doing what he wants :wink:

He's also got that cute little blonde hair blue eye thinkg happening which he uses to his advantage with grown ups = quite the charmer

I know he'll be fine but he's my baby!  I'm not ready for this! :sob:

#29 Ireckon

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

I am another who has the baby of the family starting FYOS next year. He is such a ...force. He is a whirlwind of life and energy. The house will seem less chaotic without him tearing through it all day - though he is in preschool 3 days a week now.

I too shall be glad to have them all in the one place. I get 3 years of that before the oldest heads to highschool.

#30 podg

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Gosh, my eldest starts Prep (QLD) next year and maybe it's because she's the eldest of four, maybe it's her age (born 2 weeks after the cutoff so will be 5 and a half), and maybe because she has been school ready for a year already...

I'm excited and really looking forward to it!

We have had no transition visits yet, but kindy is on our (state) school site and does a couple of events with the preps this term, and we have a school visit in November with the whole 2013 prep level.

I can't wait to get all the books and supplies and the uniform.

#31 drphillskaren

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

My little girl is also starting next year also.

She is what you would call an 'alpha female' every year has them and like another poster, she should be running the army too.  As long as its her way.  She is quite manipulative and emotionally gets her own way with new people, so perhaps i should warn the teachers too.
Her big Brother is in year 2 next year so i am sure they will have being at school together.

Her Pre-school class of 26 has no-one else going to her school so she will need to make all new friends.....interesting.....

School orientation tomorrow, am looking forward to it!

#32 mum850

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

At our school (state, vic) we just shells out the money and the school buys all the stuff. Which is GREAT but I guess for FYOS it would have been kind of fun to buy it ourselves!
We have orientation in November, three sessions of 1.5 hours. Can't wait!

#33 podg

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

We pay a booklist company and it arrives here in a box. It will be an exciting parcel!

I'm not a big fan of the uniform, but given the whiteboard markers and art supplies on the list, I'm glad it's ugly. I expect it's pretty washable.

Her kindy teachers say 'She likes to 'take the lead'' so yes, an officer commission might be in her future too...

#34 michelle120773

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

How did orientation go drphillskaren?

I got a letter yesterday with the details of the parent information night I have to attend and confirming the time for his orientation

#35 michelle120773

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Bought all his lunchbox stuff on the weekend...50% off nude food and smash stuff at woolies...would have waited till January but we will be having lunchbox trial days at kinder so I want him to practice with what he will actually be usng.

#36 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

DS 5 is almost 99cm as well! He is 12kg now and size 2 bottoms/size 4 tops most of the time, I have also been worrying about him being picked on because of this but his kindy teachers tell me that they think he will be fine, he is very independant and good at charming adults so hopefully that will stand him in good stead!

It's such a scary time for us mums though  wacko.gif

#37 michelle120773

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Glad to hear I don't have the only pipsqueak starting school next year Sparkler laughing2.gif

#38 lovemybabies86

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

my eldest boy will be starting his first year of school next year but not till term 2 so i have a little while still before i need to start organizing stuff he is so ready now though

#39 michelle120773

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Why term 2 lovemybabies86?

#40 TurtleTamer

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Our 2nd starts kindergarten in 2013 too.  He's a November birthday and I'm guessing will be one of the younger ones based on the cohort with our eldest.  I'm not at all concerned really, he is very ready though can be emotional.  I've warned them that he's VERY different to his brother as I don't want them to expect the same sort of kid.  Our current kindergartener struggles a bit, is very quiet and gentle, speech-delayed, tall, thin, blonde and blue-eyed.  Our next one has taught himself to read and is at a higher level than his older brother, more confident and well spoken, can be highly dramatic, average height and build, dark dark hair and brown eyes.  You seriously wouldn't know they were brothers.  I have a sneaking suspicion that he may be getting the other teacher as their attempt to have them seen more as individuals (no basis except that she spoke to me at a school event the other day for no particular reason).  We should find out on Monday.

First orientation session on Thursday and I think I'm more excited than he is!

#41 Emby

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Oooh - shiny thread!

My Smallest One belings in this thread. He's going to be doing his FYOS with some exceptionally adorable classmates next year

wink.gif  biggrin.gif  cool.gif *waves at mum850*

I'm happy about the whole starting school thing, but I'm sad about leaving kinder behind. I got a little teary with our wonderful kinder teacher about this the other week. It's five years since I first walked into that place and I'm going to miss it.

unsure.gif

#42 mum850

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hi Emby!!
School orientation next week. I am pretty excited. Have pulled out the way to small school dresses from my 9 year old's cupboard (oops) and realised two are size 4s. Bonus!! Poor neglected third child.....

#43 Rubyroo

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

DD2 starts next year, her birthday is in November, so she'll be 5 when she starts.

I got her to try on a pair of size 4 shorts on the weekend - they fell straight down again!  Now I'm stressing that I won't be able to find a uniform small enough to fit her.  Hopefully she has a growth spurt over the summer.  The uniform shop doesn't sell dresses, so I may have to find a dressmaker who can make some for her.

Orientation is in 2 weeks, it will be interesting to see if they have enough for a full kindy class, as I keep hearing how they don't have very many new enrolments yet.

#44 mum850

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

DD3 has been playing it pretty cool re school expectations, with two older siblings she's pretty blasé ("No I am not excited, mum, school's boring")
However had a win with digging out her sister's  old school uniform - - usually only the preps wear them LOL  -  and letting her wear it to child care. Was  a hit! Got lots of positive attention and she loved wearing it.
Next Friday is induction number one of three. *I* am excited! Uniform will be on I think.

#45 lovemybabies86

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (michelle120773 @ 30/10/2012, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why term 2 lovemybabies86?

im not really sure why he starts in term 2, the whole different schooling in each state confuses me  huh.gif all i understand and know lol is little man turns 5 during the term 1 holidays and he starts first day back of term 2 he is doing kindy at the moment and asks every kindy day when he can go to school he is so excited about it original.gif

#46 iwanttosleepin

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Not so much of a big deal here.

My DS2 started his FYOS about 2 months ago.  He is just 4 years old and is one of the oldest in his class.  Yep - some of the littler ones are only just 3 years old.

But that is the difference between the British and Australian systems.

He looks so cute in his school uniform.

#47 mum850

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (iwanttosleepin @ 04/11/2012, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not so much of a big deal here.

My DS2 started his FYOS about 2 months ago.  He is just 4 years old and is one of the oldest in his class.  Yep - some of the littler ones are only just 3 years old.

But that is the difference between the British and Australian systems.

He looks so cute in his school uniform.

Yes, it's amazing the difference. We were in England and my 4 year and 3 month daughter would have started Reception. They were practising with their lunch boxes etc.

Then we came back to Aus and she was not allowed to  start school till 5 y 8 months  - a full 18 months later. When we came back to Aus, she went from doing practice visits to school in preparation to start, to THREE year old kinder. She was so over preschool by the time she was done. It's interesting to me that in the UK there is little fuss about the  holding back thing, but the starting age is so much younger.
(Yes it's proper school, uniform, compulsory, 9-330,  readers, etc etc not pretend preschool)

#48 iwanttosleepin

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

Yep - my boy is in Foundation Stage 1 - 5 days a week.  I am glad he is one of the older ones but the littler 3 year olds cope just fine.  Which is also called pre-reception but here it's at school.

The main sticking point for the littlest ones is there is no toileting assistance whatsoever.  They have a toilet in each class but the teacher and assistant to not help out in any way.

#49 Indi

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (michelle120773 @ 11/10/2012, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone else had to fill out the Transition to School paperwork yet?

I'm glad I read this post as I had forgotten (despite a reminder in the diary sad.gif )  My youngest starts prep next year, she turned 5 in August so will probably end up in the middle of her year age-wise.

I can't wait - all three at the same place with the same drop off and pickup, and all three can do after school care if I need it (kinder kids can't go to OSHC).

Off to dig out paperwork...

#50 mum850

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I have not gotten mine yet. I guess they don't need it this early! But I love filling out that sort of stuff.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.