FYOS 2013
... not too early anymore, it's NOW!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#51 tibs

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (mum850 @ 04/11/2012, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it's amazing the difference. We were in England and my 4 year and 3 month daughter would have started Reception. They were practising with their lunch boxes etc.

Then we came back to Aus and she was not allowed to  start school till 5 y 8 months  - a full 18 months later. When we came back to Aus, she went from doing practice visits to school in preparation to start, to THREE year old kinder. She was so over preschool by the time she was done. It's interesting to me that in the UK there is little fuss about the  holding back thing, but the starting age is so much younger.
(Yes it's proper school, uniform, compulsory, 9-330,  readers, etc etc not pretend preschool)

But a large part of that is because you are in Vic, here in NSW your daughter could have started FYOS at 4 y 8 months as the cutoff is 31 July.

#52 Lightning_bug

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm completely overwhelmed going through the enrollment process.

How many uniforms?  Do I get the full tracksuit or the fleece pants and jumper?  Are the shoes I've bough OK?  How many pencils/crayons/glue?  What do I pack in his school bag?  How am I going to handle the fact he's not fully toilet trained?  Are the kids going to make fun of him?  Will he have any friends?  Will his teachers be able to handle him?

And the forms.  OMG!!  I've filled out name and address at least a dozen times and rewritten and rewritten information that it's permanently etched on my brain.  

I thought I was so organised and now I'm just tied in knots.

#53 michelle120773

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I have a parents' session tomorrow night to advise us on the expectations of the school for preps, how the transition will work, how to assist our preps etc...I'm a bit nervours

#54 mum850

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (tibs @ 06/11/2012, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But a large part of that is because you are in Vic, here in NSW your daughter could have started FYOS at 4 y 8 months as the cutoff is 31 July.

I would say a SMALL part of it is cos I am in Vic, if we were in Tas, ACT and... is it NT? she also could not have started here. Or SA, she could have started after she turned 5 not at 4y 8m.  And if she was born on her due date 2 weeks later, she would not have been able to start in NSW or anywhere else.

#55 mum850

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Lightning_bug @ 06/11/2012, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm completely overwhelmed going through the enrollment process.

How many uniforms?  Do I get the full tracksuit or the fleece pants and jumper?  Are the shoes I've bough OK?  How many pencils/crayons/glue?  What do I pack in his school bag?  How am I going to handle the fact he's not fully toilet trained?  Are the kids going to make fun of him?  Will he have any friends?  Will his teachers be able to handle him?

And the forms.  OMG!!  I've filled out name and address at least a dozen times and rewritten and rewritten information that it's permanently etched on my brain.  

I thought I was so organised and now I'm just tied in knots.

LOL! Relax and have fun. Or it will be a long 13 years!  biggrin.gif  You will get a list of stationary etc, and if not they will just get you to pay and supply through the school. School bag - hat, change of undies, lunch. Uniform  - is it every day? maybe buy three shorts, two trousers, and see how you go. YOu can always get more! What exactly you get does not matter if it's the approved uniform. He will lose it in week four and then you will be cross and buy another set of whatever  from the second hand shop.

If anyone wants to start a 'what lunchbox is the best" thread again this year.... really. Just get one from the supermarket. It will be fine, again they will lose it by week 4 and then you will be off to Kmart anyway  biggrin.gif

#56 *JJ*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

My only dd starts next year also. She will also be one of the eldest (turned 5 in july 12) and missed the QLD cutoff by 2 weeks.
Is it sad to say I have the book list and am already getting it organised!!
Our orientation was so, so. She didn't know anyone else was so a little shy but hopefully she will settle well.

#57 KnightsofNi

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

My DD starts FYOS next year. She is the day before the cut off, so should be the youngest, or one of the youngest in the school, at 4 years 8 months. But I am not worried.

She has been attending a transition program (weekly) at the school for the last 2 1.2 terms. She has sports day a the school tomorrow. Next week we meet her teacher and find out the other children in her class. She then has two classes with the teacher before finishing for the year.

We have bought her school uniform (OMG it is expensive!). She is in the smallest size dress that they have and she is swimming on her!!

I have no real concerns. Her transition program has been fabulous. She is looking forward to it and I think it will be a very easy transition for her. It is very exciting for us all to be sending our eldest child off to full time school.

#58 mum850

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Orientation today!
DD4 reports that the teacher talked to them but she can't remember what she said. LOL!
Wish there was a  secret camera so I could watch  biggrin.gif
Seemed to go OK though.

#59 Emby

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Orientation was the bomb original.gif

Highlights:

the lovely thoughtful teacher who, noticing D was accompanied by his favorite Mister Dinosaur found him a book on dinosaurs from the shelf to help him get settled.

chatting to a new mum outside the classroom whose little son was also rather unenthusiastic about the whole "school" thing. Generally our world is filled with small confident charming little girls who are TOTALLY up for the whole school experience and champing at the bit, so it's nice to know D is not entirely alone in being...not. But I think a little more positive after this morning.

We had a good convo in the car afterwards about how, no, he's still not a schoolkid yet, we're just practising to be a schoolkid. Back for more practise next week!

#60 mum850

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Emby @ 09/11/2012, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orientation was the bomb original.gif

Highlights:

the lovely thoughtful teacher who, noticing D was accompanied by his favorite Mister Dinosaur found him a book on dinosaurs from the shelf to help him get settled.

chatting to a new mum outside the classroom whose little son was also rather unenthusiastic about the whole "school" thing. Generally our world is filled with small confident charming little girls who are TOTALLY up for the whole school experience and champing at the bit, so it's nice to know D is not entirely alone in being...not. But I think a little more positive after this morning.

We had a good convo in the car afterwards about how, no, he's still not a schoolkid yet, we're just practising to be a schoolkid. Back for more practise next week!

That's unreal Emby!
Sorry to be parent to one of those confident girls LOL
I am reliably informed ( not by MY daughter who seems to have learned from older siblings not to tell mum anything) that they did a roll call, two activities, and a story. Clearly someone has passed the gene concerned with children telling their parents what went on at school, to their kids! Cos I didn't!
Also your little person did excellent playing in the yard beforehand and that was terrific!

#61 KSparkles

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

DS had his orientation last week and it was followed by a classic kid statement

"They didnt teach me to read! I thought that after kindy today I could the bed time story"

Poor child now keeps asking when they will teach writing.

#62 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hey there ladies... just saw this thread.

DS starts school next year; he's already had his three orientation days.

I'm already a teary wreck, I can't imagine what I'm going to be like in February.

His preschool is having a graduation ceremony in a couple of weeks; I got teary just talking to them about it...

cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif

#63 mum850

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 13/11/2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least he's keen!

DS is an early reader and keeps telling me (despite being eager to start school) "I already know how to read, maybe I can just teach the other kids". He hasn't even started yet and is already gunning for the teacher's job. They are seriously going to have their hands full with him.

I have had early readers too.... do you know if there are other readers in the class? Did you let the teacher know he can read?
My DD can read a bit (early readers type of level, definitely not a fluent reader) and I would really like to know if any  other kids in the class can read too. Luckily when my DD2 started at the same school there were several fluent readers in her class. Our school is unusual though.

#64 mum850

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

yes they do that in Vic too...

#65 Avidreader

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

My DD is also starting next year. She is also an also an early reader. She is reading chapter books every night. She loves the computer so I got her a subscription to study ladder. She is currently doing year  3 reading and almost finished year 1 Maths. I am actually quite worried about how she will go next year. At orirentation her buddy tried to read her a book and she was mortified and said "no, I will read it to you". When she showed me her classroom she read off all the sight words the kindy kids were doing and declared in a loud voice that it is all "easy peasy lemon squeezey". I am not sure if she will sit there quietly when the other kids learn what the letter sounds are. I want her to fit in but I think she will be a pain!!!

We have spoken about how school may be boring and I really hope they get her to do something that challenges her. She does the PIP test when she starts so we will try and work out what to do after that. Hope she gets over telling the other kids how easy everything is!!

#66 mum850

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yeah that's not going to be the path to instant popularity, is it!
My older kids did find prep difficult. DD3 is starting a year early and I hope she will have a much better time, She has got LOTS to learn from the prep curriculum which she would not have done if she started next year.
Hopefully your daughter's teacher will be able to differentiate for her. As I mentioned with DD2 there were other readers so it was OK. Have you talked with your kid's teacher or school about it?
COme on over and play in the G&T thread too if you want to!

When my son was in grade one, he had a grade 5 reading buddy. They amicably agreed that the year 5 kid would read to him as my son was a better reader. Neither of them seemed to mind LOL

#67 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

DS5 is FYOS next year. I have just come from his OT appointment and am extremely happy to report my sons skills in the fine/gross motor skills needed for school are now average.

We had an assessment done in May which showed he was top quartile for lots of things (mostly verbal) but his fine motor skills and visual skills were bad - bottom 10% - which was way worse than I thought.

I am so glad we have gotten to this point before he starts school, rather than tryin to do everything we have been working on PLUS adjusting to FYOS and learning the curriculum.

Now I'm off to label clothes and buy supplies so I don't have to step foot in a shopping centre during December!

#68 mum850

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

That is really great news NBM!

#69 michelle120773

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

We have our orientation day tomorrow (yes on a Saturday!!!)  To be honest I am a little nervous!!

#70 michelle120773

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

So we get to the car park and DS says "do you just want to drop me here mum?". Ummmmm let me think....NO!!!

Then we get to the playground and off he goes leading a group of 3 other Boys he has never met!

Into the classroom, all the parents are standing back watching and DS says "okay mum you can go now"

I love that he is so confident but does he have to be so bloody confident!!! Mummy is not ready for him to be so independent...feeling a little superfluous this morning!!!!

Edited by michelle120773, 24 November 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#71 michelle120773

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Just picked him up - he had an amazing time apparently but doesn't remember a lot of what he did other than "guess what Mummy I didn't even burp or fluff in the classroom!"

#72 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (michelle120773 @ 24/11/2012, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"guess what Mummy I didn't even burp or fluff in the classroom!"

biggrin.gif  Awesome.
It would be nice if he was a little clingy, but imagine if he was a LOT clingy. Not so nice...

My friends tell me to prepare myself for getting far less information in FYOS than at daycare on what was done on a day to day basis. Teachers don't have the time to be answering every parents query in relation to what their child did today.

Of course, this is because when I ask, my DS will say "Ummm. I played with XXXX", when in fact he did a million and one interesting things that his pre-school teachers tell me about.  

#73 mum850

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yep, I never hear anything. I had to email parents of other kids to even find out what happened on orientation!!

#74 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

You're not alone. The only reason I can say I won't miss my DS's teachers is because DD will still be there so I'll still be seeing them several times a week.

But at their graduation ceremony recently there was definitely a lump in my throat at the idea that after 4 years at his centre DS won't have any of these teachers anymore.

I'm so glad that his new school has been fantastic with orientation etc and all the teachers seem lovely, not to mention the rave reviews any parent I've spoken to has given. Otherwise I'd really be struggling!

#75 mum850

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I am so happy that DD is going to school. Having said that, any sort of ceremony at preschool turns me in to a blubbering idiot. Luckily/unluckily I am at work all the time so I missed all the end of year stuff. But it does bring a tear to my eye!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.