FYOS 2013
... not too early anymore, it's NOW!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#76 msro82

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

We are in Tassie and DD starts full time school next year.

It's done differently here - Kinder which is 3 days a week is at the schools (this applies for state, catholic and independent schools). They wear the uniform, do library, music, PE, school plays. So there is no transition period for DD. she did go for prep orientation today to meet her prep teacher and the rest of her class (they mix the classes up but keep your child with at least 1 good friend from kinder).

DD will be 6 at the end of April - cut off is you have to be 5 by the 1st of Jan to be in full time school

#77 mum850

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

My DDs best start assessment is nice and early on Jan 30 which is the first day they do them. WOnder if I get to watch? I bet I don't... I did watch my other daughter's which was great.
Do you get feedback from it, I don't' remember?

#78 tibs

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

My DS's best start is Jan 31 around lunch time.  Our school has asked us to remain outside and suggested we chat to and make friends with other parents who's kids are also having their best start (they have 3 going at each time).  The school also said we will receive a report on our child's performance in the best start but not until the end of term 1?

#79 mum850

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (tibs @ 30/12/2012, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DS's best start is Jan 31 around lunch time.  Our school has asked us to remain outside and suggested we chat to and make friends with other parents who's kids are also having their best start (they have 3 going at each time).  The school also said we will receive a report on our child's performance in the best start but not until the end of term 1?

Hmm. I wonder why it takes so long?? I imagine the teacher would have the results collated etc quite quickly so as to use them in first term....

#80 tibs

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (mum850 @ 31/12/2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm. I wonder why it takes so long?? I imagine the teacher would have the results collated etc quite quickly so as to use them in first term....

Yes the principal even said they are using it to help form the kindergarten classes.  Maybe the typing it up in letter form to send out is the slow part  unsure.gif

#81 mum850

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (tibs @ 31/12/2012, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes the principal even said they are using it to help form the kindergarten classes.  Maybe the typing it up in letter form to send out is the slow part  unsure.gif

I wonder if it's really Parent (i.e. mother) management, to give the parents 10 weeks to settle down so they don't worry about  their child's results. (confessions of a (formerlyish) anxious mother....)

#82 Avidreader

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ahhhh! DD starts tomorrow! Slightly freaked out. Went to the library today and got cross examined by librarian who couldn't believe that she had read the books on her book list herself as they are designed for kids in 3/4 grade. Charlotte ended up reading for her and then she told me how unusual she is. I suppose I didn't need to hear this the day beore she starts school. I really really want her to fit in and my biggest fear is that she won't. Fingers crossed she has an accommodating teacher and she doesn't annoy the other kids too much!!!

#83 baddmammajamma

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Good luck to all of the FYOSers.  original.gif

I can tell that this is my 2nd child & my relatively uncomplicated (non-2e) kid, as I am very chill about his start on Friday (and actually quite excited to finally have both kids in school full time! original.gif )

Still, I can appreciate what a big thing this is in a child's life. Can you guys still remember your first day of school? I sure can, down to my young, stylish teacher in 1973 who had a B-52s-like beehive, knee high vinyl boots, and a rad plaid dress!

QUOTE (Avidreader @ 29/01/2013, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhhh! DD starts tomorrow! Slightly freaked out. Went to the library today and got cross examined by librarian who couldn't believe that she had read the books on her book list herself as they are designed for kids in 3/4 grade.

I wish librarians & teachers wouldn't do that mad.gif  (as if you were making up stuff about her reading abilities!) It makes me wonder how much experience they have or how high their antennaes are if they've never encountered or even heard of an advanced reader!

#84 mum850

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

DD has her starting school assessment tomorrow - we will take her big sister to school then hang out till it's time. Wonder if I get to watch! Then first day of school Monday.

#85 Avidreader

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks BMJ. To be honest in some way I can't wait until she starts school. Then I can't be accused of "grilling" or "hothousing" DD. So over all the judgement that comes with having an early reader. I don't talk about it now given the negative responses I have received but sometimes she shows herself to others (reading Chrsitmas cracker jokes was a recent example) and then the judgment starts! Seriously I have three kids and she is the oldest. I also work as a lawyer for a top tier firm 3 days- how much time do I have to hothouse her!! Now at least I can blame school. I got her a reading eggs subscription- she flew through it so I got her a study ladder subscription. Now doing year 3 reading and Maths with very little help from me. It was mainly to keep her entertained. Sometimes wish I hadn't now but too late I guess.

Hopefully it will be like preschool. Where other kids got end of year awards for drawing she got hers for "assisting other children in learning- particularly in literacy". In other words I hope the other kids like her because she helps them not because she stands out.

#86 OscarAndTilly

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

DS has his best start assessment on Friday and then starts Monday.

We tried his uniform on and I've decided he's too little to go lol.

I am a bit worried about how he will be, as he has anxiety but I'm not letting him see that.

#87 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

My DS has his Best Start assessment on Friday and starts on Tuesday.
I'm taking the Monday off work and taking him out for a Mummy and son day, just the two of us.
I'm going to miss him  cry1.gif

#88 baddmammajamma

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

WFOD: Hope you & your son enjoy a very special day.

Ferdinand: I totally appreciate what a massive deal it is for a child with ASD to get off to a good start at school. I'm so, so happy that things went well for your son, and it sounds like his teacher is totally on board.

My son had a fabulous first day of school. Admittedly, I was more stressed about my daughter (see above note to Ferdinand), but she has had a wonderful start as well.

Here's hoping all of our kids have a great year!

#89 KnightsofNi

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

DD starts FYOS on Monday. I think she is a little nervous. Her behaviour has gone down the crapper in the last few days.

#90 Space is Big

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Well DD has gone to school for 2 whole days now and told me today that it “was boring and that she has played with everything and there is nothing left for them to teach her”.  She is under the impression that she can opt out now.  

AHH her poor teacher, after all those years at school and teaching and to have run out of stuff to teach her after two days, he must be devastated.   wink.gif

#91 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Reporting in for a good FDOS for DS2. Went in all excited. Came out smiling and excited.

I like that for first term the Preps have their own play area which only their buddies (yr5/6) can use. Allows Preppies to make friends (looking at DS1 whoop was wanting us brother to come over and play with him).

#92 mum850

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

DD had her best start assessment. She did read for the teacher which was good and she is going to start on about level 5 readers. Teacher said she is very ready academically for school and the problem is going to be attention and sitting on the mat sort of stuff. Yep! Teacher nailed it I think!
biggrin.gif

#93 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Ferdinand. I am a bit apprehensive about DS2 starting as Kinder recommended another year there (he is 5.5yrs though). He has had social issues stemming from hearing loss caused speech and language issues. We are now on top of the hearing, so speech and language have been picking up. Now we just need social confidence too. Intellectually he is fine (has covered the first four sets of sight words which his brother had in under two weeks - he has been begging to do them).

I love that his class is only 2 x 18 students for Prep. He currently has Teacher, teachers Aide and the Special Ed Co or donator in the room. cool.gif . DS2 has been flagged to the school as potentially needing extra help socially, which the school is very good at.

#94 Avidreader

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

DD has a good first day at school. She went through the PIPs assessment and she said she did well. The teacher left a note in her bag saying that she is an amazing reader and gave her a non-fiction level 18 book that she said Charlotte read to her that day.

Full week this week! Think will have a very tired girl by Friday.

#95 mum850

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Avidreader @ 03/02/2013, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD has a good first day at school. She went through the PIPs assessment and she said she did well. The teacher left a note in her bag saying that she is an amazing reader and gave her a non-fiction level 18 book that she said Charlotte read to her that day.

Full week this week! Think will have a very tired girl by Friday.

That is really great Avidreader! Good on her teacher.

#96 tibs

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

My son starts tomorrow.  Will report back then  biggrin.gif

#97 mum850

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

DD had a good day. She did playing and went to the library, and went to sick bay to get an ice pack for the smallest scratch you have ever seen. Then a swimming lesson after school. And now I have taken advantage of the fact that there are no clocks around to declare it bedtime!

#98 Avidreader

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I am already feeling exhausted and it is only day 2! Trying to get all three kids out the door in time with DS's speech pathology stuff fand stuff for playgroup nearly didn't happen in time! DH is in Malaysia this week for work so i am going through this major transition to our new routine by myself- hopefully it gets better.

DD's school have certainly taken the bull by the horns with her. I didn't say anything before she started but they picked up right away that she needs some extension work. Last night she was given a 27 page play to read and write a report on. From talking to the other parents they only got a short level 1 reader so they must be tailoring it to her level. Thing is they have to do it EACH night. While I can see that a short 5 pager is "doable", applying that to complicated narrative structures could be a bit much each night.

DD also told me that yesterday all the other kids practised writing while the teacher asked her to write a story. This is only day 2 of kingergarten! Either DD or I will break if this pace keeps up! But seriously it is very nice that they are not making her do things she already knows.

#99 Avidreader

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I AM talking about my kindergarten child writing reports. She is my oldest- grand old age of 5. We have another level 18 book today and another report to write. It is only 3-4 lines but I am not sure how I can fit it in with 2 other kids at home- just have to I guess!!
The other parents also think it is a bit much- but their kids are reading little level 1 books not whole plays like DD is given!

#100 tibs

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 05/02/2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, that is ridiculous for the first week of kindergarten.

DS is mostly playing and getting to know his classmates, with a few worksheets thrown in. This week is entirely about settling into routines and getting to know the school.

Home readers and homework don't start until next week.

We haven't had any readers or homework come home yet either.

My son is up to day 3 today and so far so good, he has played games, done some drawing and he told me there are 18 kids in his class, 10 girls and 8 boys.  And then wanted to know why there were more girls than boys  tongue.gif

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.