What age would you let your child get their ears pierced?

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

Assuming you've told them it hurts, told them it's a needle going through their ear, etc etc.

What's the minimum age that you would say yes?

ETA: And why?

Edited by CallMeAl, 24 September 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#2 LynnyP

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

You've been here since 2009 and you haven't seen this?

12 is my minimum.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

DD1 was 12. DD2 was 10.

I didn't feel like waging a battle with DD2 to make her wait until she was 12. So I didn't.

#4 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#5 Persnickety_

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

We allowed our girls to get theirs pierced recently at ages 7 and 8.  We researched and found a really good place that only does body piercing and they were very professional. The girls now have the earrings that they have been begging for.  They were very brave, no tears at all from our 7 year old and a few from our 8 year old.

Edited by Persnickety_, 24 September 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#6 libbylu

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I was 8.  I think that was a bit young though. I vomited afterwards from the shock of the pain.  Maybe 10?

#7 Alpha_Chook

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

12 is my rule too....

#8 Harmonica

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

#9 José

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

for me it would be 10.

#10 sa5ha

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

No kids of my own yet, but my mother made me wait until I was around 10 or 11 before I was allowed to have mine pierced.
At the time, it seemed terribly unfair that I had to wait so long (started asking when I was about 8 I suppose) but in retrospect it seems about right.

Just looks a bit off on really young girls in my opinion.

#11 Roobear

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

I got mine done at 8 and it was fine for me...I looked after them well/no issues etc

I would be happy for DD to have them done around the same age if she asked for them for long enough so I knew it wasn't a quick phase and I thought she was responsible enough to look after them.

#12 Nicole-Bris

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

DD has been asking me for a few years to get her ears pierced and I have said for her 10th birthday.

#13 BadCat

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

16 and even then I will strongly discourage her.

#14 B.feral3

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Do you only mean girls OP?
I will answer anyway. So long as my sons are living under my roof they will never be allowed to have their ears/an ear pierced.

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (LynnyP @ 24/09/2012, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've been here since 2009 and you haven't seen this?

I've seen the "oh they pierced their kids ears too young" yada yada. But not what the 'acceptable' age is considered to be - or why.

Bek+3 - yes I was thinking of girls - but I guess yeah, both!

#16 OutForLunch

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

16, by then they will probably be over the idea of getting it done! I was 20 or 21 and now rarely wear them except for nights out, weddings etc. You ger than 12 I just think it looks yuk!

#17 SqueakyPeanut

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

DD had been asking since she was 2, so I told her she had to wait til she was at big school. & when she came to be in kindergarten she was still very keen, so after explaining how much it would hurt etc she still wanted to go through with so she had them pierced on her 6th birthday.

I made sure she knew what she was agreeing to and I believe she was old enough to make the decision.

#18 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

I was 7 when I had mine done and I think I was too young - I didn't have the maturity not to fiddle with them and they did get infected. However, it's my second piercing that actually attracts infections now - got those done at 13 and looked after them meticulously.

I think DD will be somewhere between 8 and 10 when she gets them done depending on maturity. I want to make sure it's done for a birthday though so younger siblings can't piggyback off her begging and get theirs done younger.

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

I don't have an age limit. It's 2 holes in her ear lobes. Really if she insisted on them at age 5, I'd be fine with it.

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

My rule was that she had them pierced for Christmas before starting high school so that would have been aged 12. The piercing was my sisters' Christmas gift to her.

#21 lactasticmama

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

16. When they are mature enough to make the decision themselves. Also cause I'd rather them not do it.

#22 ReadySetRace

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I was 8 and coped fine. I remember it really really hurt though, so when DD1 asked recently I told her about the pain and she decided against it.

I think 8 or olderis a good age as the child can put them in and take them out, as well as keeping them clean.

#23 ~strawberry~

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

12, which for DD will be at the end of primary school.

#24 4kidlets

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Roobear @ 24/09/2012, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got mine done at 8 and it was fine for me...I looked after them well/no issues etc

I would be happy for DD to have them done around the same age if she asked for them for long enough so I knew it wasn't a quick phase and I thought she was responsible enough to look after them.

Yes, for that reason  I set a 'cooling off period' - in the next school holidays, after your birthday etc - something a few weeks into the future.To make sure it wasnt an impulse decision.

I also waited for them to initiate it and ask me, not me to suggest it.

Any time from about 7 years old onwards for me.

#25 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (SqueakyPeanut @ 24/09/2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD had been asking since she was 2, so I told her she had to wait til she was at big school. & when she came to be in kindergarten she was still very keen, so after explaining how much it would hurt etc she still wanted to go through with so she had them pierced on her 6th birthday.

I made sure she knew what she was agreeing to and I believe she was old enough to make the decision.

Yeah DD's been asking for a while now too - and currently in preparation for her Bollywood concert REALLY wants them. I've told her about the pain, and she reckons she's ok with it.

I'm thinking that if I took her to a place she'd probably chicken out anyway, which would be ok - but my fear is she'd get one done and then not want the other done and that will be pretty hard to explain!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.