Ella's leukaemia journey

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_EBmel_*

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

As part of National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, we share EB member Kerryn's story...

The next day I dropped Ella off at daycare and made my way into work,   where I finally gave in and googled ‘petechiae’. The first few results   popped up with the words ‘leukaemia’. Within minutes of seeing these   words my mobile phone rang – It was the doctor’s surgery requesting I go   in immediately. I felt sick. That drive to pick up Ella and get to the   surgery was the longest drive of my life.

Read the full story here; you can leave your comments for Kerryn and Ella in this thread.

#2 Madeline's Mum

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Oh Kerryn, what a heartbreaking story. I have often seen your signature and thought about Ella. I am so sorry for the loss of your husband, Mark.

It is lovely to read gorgeous Ella is in remission, I hope it stays that way forever.

I hope you are getting the help you deserve, you are an absolute fighter to overcome the challenges that have been placed in front of you, you truly inspire me, as does Ella xx

#3 Poussey

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Oh wow, Kerryn, what an ordeal, what a journey. I am so glad Ella has come through this relatively unscathed. All my best wishes to your family.

#4 Stronger

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

What a wonderfully brave little girl and Mum! I am so sorry to hear of your DH's passing. I hope for nothing but happiness and good health for you both from here on.

Best wishes

#5 belindaleen

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Kerryn,

i was so sad to hear your story with all that you have been through, without the support of your husband. I am so sorry for your loss.   Its great to hear that your daughter is in remission and recovering.  Having been in your shoes as a parent with a child with cancer i understand the bleakness of it all. Wishing you both all the love the world has to give and i hope that from now on life gets that little bit easier day by day.  Best wishes Belinda

#6 seashells

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Kerryn I have tears in my eyes after reading your & Ella's story, I am so sorry for everything you have been through. Your courage & strength is amazing & your little girl is just beautiful & a real little fighter. I hope little Ella continues to grow stronger & stronger every day & that she will continue to stay in remission. All the best & you will be in my thoughts xxxx

#7 DrFeral

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for your story. You and Ella have been so brave and I don't know how I would cope were I in your position.  Best wishes for a cancer free future for Ella and I hope she is really enjoying school, having fun and making friends as every little girl deserves to.

#8 Kez82

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support

#9 EffiesMum172

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Edited by EffiesMum172, 03 November 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#10 Lees75

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Even though I knew your story, reading through it just now made me bawl my eyes out. You are a legend, and I know that you and Ella have an awesome life ahead. Xx

#11 lamarque

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Kerryn - my heart goes out to you and Ella.  I wish you all the best for the coming years and thank you for sharing your story.  You are one amazing woman and mother.   bbighug.gif

Edited by lamarque, 27 September 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#12 Therese

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Kerryn you and Ella are both so brave. Thank you for sharing your story.

#13 K+L

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Wow, what a brave woman you are Kerryn. And little Ella, wow, what a beautiful and courageous little girl you are. Big hugs to you both x

#14 Kez82

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Feeling very overwhelmed by all the support on here and FB from this story!

#15 BeachedAsBro

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Kez, I'm not on EB much these days, so it was wonderful to see you as the feature member & catch up on how you & Ella are going. Such wonderful news.

#16 twinmumplus1

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Thank you for sharing Kerryn.  What a joy Ella is.  So glad to hear she is in remission.  Awesome news!

#17 ~JASB~

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Another who has seen your signature on EB over the years and have always wondered how on earth you were getting through it all.  It was incredibly emotional to read your story.  All the best and I pray Ella stays healthy.  Thanks for sharing xo

#18 Pandorasbox

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Kerryn, like everyone else I have tears in my eyes.  My very best wishes for your family and yourself, hopefully  everything works out so well for you all.  They say they send these ordeals to the souls who need the advanced lessons, because they have come so far already...and clearly you have.  I hope you can continue to be the strength your little girl needs and that you have time to come back to yourself.  And also, that whatever chemical or emr or problem in your environment might be causing such terrible problems for your family is idenitifed and removed.  Good luck.

#19 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

This is heart breaking to read. I don't know how you coped. How inspiring. All the best for the future.

#20 Freckles

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Your story brought tears to my eyes Kerryn. I can't imagine how hard it was to go through that as a sole parent. I was mightily glad to read the good news on Ella's remission at the end of the article. I really hope it stays that way forever, for your brave battler of a girl. Love your sig too. original.gif

#21 brushy

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Edited by GlamourFrmTamarama, 01 September 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#22 JJEDRMc

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Do we have an update on Ella or have I missed the latest ??

#23 Jenno

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

I have followed you on Facebook but seeing it in one document makes it seem much more enormous!

You are both so strong and I hope the next twelve months are gentle for you both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.