Highchair timeout

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bubbatime

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

My DS has had issues sitting in his highchair for a few months so we have moved him to one of those boosters that straps to a normal dining chair, which he loves.  

I thought that maybe daycare was sitting him in a highchaair as punishment and that was the reason he refused to sit in a highchair as he saw it as punishment.  Well, yesterday I found out that they do strap him in a highchair as a disciplinary measure.  

Now I see why he refuses to sit in a highchair at home or sit in the shopping trolley.  He thinks he's being disciplined!  

Does your daycare do this?  DO you think he is making a connection to these things as well?

#2 lozoodle

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

No, and I find that really off that they strap a child in a chair, presumably in the under 2 year old room given there are high chairs, as a form of discipline.

#3 Velocinag

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

My dd isn't at daycare yet so I don't have any experience around that. But my first thought when I read your post was that doesn't sound right. I would definitely be enquiring as to why they use a highchair in that way.

#4 Jenferal

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

How old is he?
Why on earth are they restraining him as discipline? i'd not be happy about that!

#5 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

It doesn't seem right that they do that. Perhaps you could put a toy on his high chair tray, there area few toys that stand upright and have suction on the bottom that would be perfect for a high chair. You could also try putting some snacks on the tray (loose, not in a box or container, so that  they are scattered around the tray) such as sultanas or rice bubbles. You could speak to the day care about how he is now reluctant to sit in his high chair at home and tell the what you do at home if he misbehaves. Also find out what it is that he is doing to receive punishment at day care.  This is definitely something I will be finding out about when my bub starts daycare.

Edited by Dylan's Mummu, 26 September 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#6 MrsMumma

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

I wouldnt be happy that a highchair is being used for time out. It is for eating not for punishment.

I also wouldnt be happy that time out meant being restrained. How old is your DS?

#7 marnie27

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

That's completely inappropriate.  They should be using positive guidance techniques, not restraining him.  I'd be requesting a meeting with the manager.

#8 bubbatime

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

It sits very uneasily with me.  They said yesterday they put him in their as he just gets up from a time out in a corner or on a mat.

I'm really upset by it and I should have said something at the time.  I think it's very harsh too, glad I'm not overreacting.  No wonder he refuses to sit in a highchair at home!!

And yes, he's under 2 and the room goes from 0-3 years.  He otherwise seems extreemly happy there, he runs in and gives his room leader and teacher a hug every morning and is really eager to get in there.  He is a very stubborn little thing but surely there is an alternative to strappin ghim in a highchair?

Does anyone know of any alternatives I could take to them?

#9 Jess1

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

No daycare I have used does this and I wouldn't use them if they did. My LO doesn't tend to like highchairs or shopping trolleys either so he may not be making the connection but it is still completely inappropriate for them to use it as discipline anyway.
I'd be organising a sit down meeting pronto.

#10 Who is me

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

I would have thought at that age, they should be using distraction, rather then time out. Most children walk away from the time out spot at that age, and generally you would just keep putting them back till they stay, but that wouldn't really work when there are so many other children to care for.

#11 lozoodle

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Why on earth are they even attempting time outs on someone who is under 2?!

#12 lady lady

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Mrs_G @ 26/09/2012, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldnt be happy that a highchair is being used for time out. It is for eating not for punishment.

This.

I would also say something along the lines of "Is there any other alternatives you could use?  I just think that this could explain why he now refuses to sit in his highchair at home to eat because he now sees it as a form of punishement?"  in a "I'm asking you for advice" manner.  

Depending on their answer is how I would move forward ... it could be that they haven't actually "thought" about it ...

#13 opethmum

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

I would be peeved off, I would go to the centre director about this and all they should be doing for misdeeds at that age is saying no and removing them from the situation and redirecting. Under no circumstances should childcare be using restraints as a form of punishment.

#14 Tesseract

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Timeout for under 3s?! Yuk. They obviously can't do their jobs. I'd be looking for alternative care arrangements.

#15 caitiri

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

I would have thought leaving a child who is probably upset or angry in a highchair is actually pretty dangerous unless they are bolted to the ground and can't tip or the carer is standing next to it the whole time.

#16 LittleListen

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Restraining a child is against National regulations. Call them out on this one and if you are not happy with their response (i.e they don't stop doing it) then call your state community services in charge of childcare.

Against. The. Law.

Inappropriate discipline is the only thing that individual staff members and certified supervisors can be directly fined for. All other fines go to the company/owners/nominated supervisor. Even the law acknowledges that staff themselves have the burden of responsibility to find better ways to guide children's behaviour.

mad.gif Makes me mad when people in my profession do c*ap like this and make those of us who work so hard look like idiots.

#17 Jenferal

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

If they tried putting him in time out on a mat...why? he's under 2.
How long was he there for anyway? Or supposed to sit for? I'd be asking for a face to face meeting with the director ASAP. And I'd consider taking him out if not satisfied.

#18 Mrs Manager

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

I agree with PP's, this is just not right to be doing that and I would be questioning the quality of care they are providing all round.

Our LDC is only allowed to use distraction or words ie "STOP" when dangerous, in the under 2's room, and in older rooms they are only able to use distraction or giving them a talking to.

#19 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

I think you should report them and  find alternative care. Makes you wonder how they really treat the children...

Edited by winkywonkeydonkey, 28 September 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#20 Guest_mygirls0307_*

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I am a qualified child carer and that is just not on! The carers who are using this form of punishment clearly cannot cope or simply cannot be bothered when children do not act like robots. They should either re-think their career choice or go back to training.

I did my work prac at a child care centre where they used similar forms of punishment and it was obvious from their actions and their comments that they cut every corner they could so they could spend more time chatting to one another.

Report the centre.

#21 Jersey Caramel

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Timeout for under 3s?! Yuk. They obviously can't do their jobs. I'd be looking for alternative care arrangements.

Completely agree.

#22 funandlaughter

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

I would be pulling my child out on the spot.

That is not appropriate.

Firstly, a highchair should not be used as punishment. It is feeding equipment.

Secondly I would want to know what constitutes the reason for him being excluded from the other children in the first place. It sounds like this is not the first time and this punishment has been used before. In this instance I would want to know why you have not been informed of any reoccurring incidents at the centre

Thirdly I would be speaking to the director, placing a formal complaint and waiting for a formal response. It would be interesting to know if the director is aware of the use of highchairs being used as punishment. If she is and she is condoning that behaviour then it is definitely not the right centre to have your child or any child in.

#23 A.R. Starr

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Holy s***!

Sorry for my language, but that is so seriously not on. Not only is it cruel, it is completely against regulations and dangerous. Wow, I'm horrified. Speak to your centre director and I'd give thought to finding a new centre.

#24 Bottom

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

What you have described is called restrictive practices and it is against the law, not only at daycare, but in all care, and education settings. Carers, and the manager would have learned about restrictive practices at uni or tafe training, so they would be aware what they are doing is not on. Please report this! Also timeout should not be being used at daycare for a child under 3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.