What happens to my CS scar in 2nd pg?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 purple_daisy

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I know this is probably a silly question, but what will happen to my c-section scar now that I'm pregnant? It is right down on the hair line, and I know they had a lot of trouble getting it to hold closed after my emergency c-section mid last year so it ended up being quite lumpy and bumpy.

Now I'm pregnant again I'm irrationally worried that my scar will re-open when my belly stretches, or it will tear the uterus, or that my bump won't stretch out properly because of the scar tissue. I realise how silly it sounds, but as a hormonal mum to be I would appreciate any feedback on what happened to your scar area during subsequent pregnancies.

Aldo did you end up with a second scar if you had another c-section? If so, is it above the old one? Below? At 90 degrees?

Thanks ladies

PD.

Edited by purple_daisy, 30 September 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi OP, my scar is low down on the hair line too...it was unaffected by my pregnancy with DS2....all of the growing occurred above it, it didn't stretch at all....and they must have used the same incision point as with DS1 because I have only got the one scar...it's no worse than what it was with DS1 ...HTH

Good luck!

#3 mrsboof

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

They actually do an ellipse-shaped cut around your old skin scar and actually cut it out for the subsequent LSCS. I have seen some OB's be very generous in their ellipse too, kind of like a mini tummy tuck  biggrin.gif

#4 Lokum

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Not a silly question. Same occurred to me.

Mine was a nice, smooth scar which healed really well. However, in the first 8 weeks or so when you often get lots of stretching feelings anyway, I felt stretching and pressure along my internal scars. It felt like I had tight elastic cutting into me... even when I didn't.

Later, as I have become ENORMOUS (fundal height 4 weeks ahead!), it has settled. I usually feel only normal stretching feelings all over my belly, internally and externally. I'm getting the itchy skin now, so I'm expecting my well-faded stretch marks to brighten up again. Sometimes when the baby moves a certain way I also do a get a tight feeling along a certain line... My belly is mostly round.

I had a little bit of fat overhand from my scar pre-preg, and I'm still sort of pudgy down near my pubic line, even though the rest of me is tight as a drum. But I think that's normal for lots of people who've had a previous baby and were carrying a little pudge around their belly between PGs?

The risk of rupture is generally small, and usually happens in labour (not before.) Your care giver can tell you more about it - you should ask them if they think you're at higher risk or have a weaker scar.

On the second c/s issue, I'm asking my OB this week! They will still cut in the same position if possible, but it depends on the position of the baby and the reason for c/s. I'm just not sure if it will be slightly above/below, or they'll try along the same line. There's lots of repeat c/s mums here who will come in and fill us in!

#5 Lokum

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (mrsboof @ 30/09/2012, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They actually do an ellipse-shaped cut around your old skin scar and actually cut it out for the subsequent LSCS. I have seen some OB's be very generous in their ellipse too, kind of like a mini tummy tuck  biggrin.gif

Ooooh, hope so. I could use it!

#6 mrsboof

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Also, for PP above, the insicision on the skin should always be in the same position (unless they do a classical up-down incision) no matter where the baby is. As this is no correlation to where they cut the uterus.

#7 mrsboof

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (C~D~W~H @ 30/09/2012, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No idea why, but I definitely have 2 scars on the outside. My second is down lower in my hair line and my first is up higher.

I have no idea why they would have done that. Were they the same Dr? If not, maybe the second felt that the first was too low to incise over?

Edited by mrsboof, 30 September 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#8 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi, I have had 3 C/S and nothing happened with my scar when I was pg with #2 & #3.

After I had dd I my wound had to be opened up again because of an infection. It was left open and took are months to close. I thought my scar could be weaker after this but it wasn't.  It's  the scar on the uterine wall that the dr told me they are more concerned with. And the risk of rupture is low.
I have one scar and was never lucky enough to get a fee tummy tuck.

#9 Jupiter

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

My second was just above my first. Grew quite fond of them for sentimental reasons. blush.gif

For my third, the OB removed the first two so I'm left with one. I was a bit sad about it actually, although it was a very neat job each time.

#10 abena

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

I never noticed anything different with how my scar felt while pregnant with no 2, and I only have the one scar so they must have just cut in the same spot. I'm pregnant again now, and haven't had any problems with my scar this time either.

#11 purple_daisy

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Oh thank you ladies - I feel so much better reading these posts. I had no idea they could remove the scar and put a new one in. I'm not sure I understand how that is done, but I will definitely talk to my GP (shared care) about it as I was worried I'd end up looking hung drawn and quartered so to speak!

#12 hiccamups

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've had three c-sections so far and each time there's been no impact on anything.  At some point I have had an itchy scar, but that's it.

My Ob cuts the old scar away each time and leaves only one neat, small cut, like a person who's only had one.   Bless the man.

#13 Sayerley

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

So far mine has been ok and I am 26 weeks. My ob has already said she will use the same incision.

#14 Puggle

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (purple_daisy @ 30/09/2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this is probably a silly question, but what will happen to my c-section scar now that I'm pregnant? It is right down on the hair line, and I know they had a lot of trouble getting it to hold closed after my emergency c-section mid last year so it ended up being quite lumpy and bumpy.

Just wanted to add that my CS scar was very raised and ugly but the second pregnancy completely sorted it out - now it's barely visible and also difficult to find by feeling for it. That was a nice bonus.

No advice on the second incision/scar though as I had a VBAC.

#15 Charli73

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

My first CS scar was quite lumpy as I had scar tissue as I did too much lifting and moving after the surgery.

It was below the hairline and with my second pregnancy (7months later) it was all fine until the head engaged and pushed down onto the scar tissue on the back of the scar causing excruciating pain. I thought I was in labour and went to hospital where they did an ultrasound and I had bled internally. I was 38-39 wks anyway so I decided to bring my elective CS forward a few days. The pain actually went away after bub moved a bit but those few hours were terrible!!

The scar was cut out and a new one in the same spot and it is so neat and perfect I'm very happy with it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.