Recommend me some books you simply can't put down

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 citylife

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

OK
so I have just finished the Fifty shades triology and much to various and differing opinions I am one of those who really enjoyed them. I found particulary with the 2nd and third book I couldn't put them down and became so engrossed in them that I simply had to keep reading to see what happens next.

I am after some recommendations of books you have read that you simply couldn't put down , really good reads, just any good book from any genre

TIA

#2 MickeyBoo

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Try the Sylvia Day Crossfire series, it is like the grown up version of 50shades, better written as well. I just finished book two and could not put it down. I was another that didn't mind 50shades but this series tops it hands down.

#3 citylife

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for your reply Mickey Boo shall keep an eye out for that series.

Also interested in any books not just along the erotica line wink.gif

#4 Brownie22

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Me before you by Jojo Moyes was fantastic. I personally love Marian Keyes too - most of her book I can't put down. Goodnight beautiful by Dorothy Koomson is another one I could not put down.

#5 Loulla

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Shantaram is amazing! One of my favorites ever

#6 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I have just finished "Say You're Sorry" by Michael Robotham - it's a great read if you like murder and mayhem.

#7 unicorn

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have just finished The Hunger Games series, written more for a younger generation but I still enjoyed it, often staying up way way too late to read a little more.

If you like fantasy, Battleaxe by Sara Douglass is a good one, it is the first in the Axis trilogy which then carries on through other series that she penned.

#8 Ehill

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Anything by John Grisham.
Agree with Marian Keyes
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.  They are up to 18 though so you have to be dedicated.
I love The Power of One by Bryce Courtney.  Long time ago since I read that.

There are heaps more but I have a terrible memory.

#9 HelenaHandbasket

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I also liked the Hunger Games books.

I am currently reading the new JK Rowling book 'The Casual Vacancy' and I can't put it down.

#10 ali27

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

chocolat by Joanne Harris

The number 1 ladies Detective agency  - series - about ten books
Anything written by Elizabeth George

Batavia by Peter Fitzsimons

#11 Ianthe

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Hunger Games

#12 Quack Quack

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

The bronze horseman trilogy, LOVED it!  Could not put it down and was having sneaky reads while I was supposed to be doing other things.

I have just started reading Call the Midwife ( its a trilogy) after enjoying the TV show of the same name. Only a little way into it, but loving it.

#13 KiwiMelW

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (5*little*ducks @ 08/10/2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bronze horseman trilogy, LOVED it! Could not put it down and was having sneaky reads while I was supposed to be doing other things.

I second this, I just finished reading all 3 books in 3 weeks, read one in a weekend. Dh wanted to hide my book so he could talk to me.

#14 ~*hiptobesquare~*

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

The Bronze horseman Trilogy is fantastic.

And i am currently reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon i can't put these down!

#15 ubermum

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

The Woody Creek series by Joy Dettman. First book in the series is "Pearl in a Cage".

I also loved Hunger games as well as another young adult series by John Marsden; The Tomorrow series was very hard to put down. First book was "Tomorrow when the War Began".

#16 FancyAnOmelette?

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Before I go to sleep - fantastic twisty thriller. Here's the blurb (I tried to describe it but didn't do it justice)

"Christine wakes in a strange bed beside a man she does not recognise. In the bathroom she finds a photograph of him taped to the mirror, and beneath it the words 'Your husband'.

Each day, Christine wakes knowing nothing of her life. Each night, her mind erases the day. But before she goes to sleep, she will recover fragments from her past, flashbacks to the accident that damaged her, and then—mercifully—she will forget."

I read most of it in one night then kept sneaking looks at it on my kindle app on my phone at work the next day. Haven't read a page turner like that in ages.

#17 wombatwoman

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

"A song of ice and fire" series.  The first book is "A game of thrones". Agree with "The hunger games" and "tomorrow" series.

#18 *~kate*~

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I second the outlander series by Diana gabaldon. I have read the series multiple times and I never tire of it

#19 BreezaH

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

The House of Memories, by Monica McInerney

#20 shellyb

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

I just finished 2 books that I loved, reading both in 3 days. The first was "Keeping the Faith" by Mitch Albom (all his books are awesome and easy to read) and "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. I'm about to start another book "Left Neglected" by the same author as wow, that last one was something special.

#21 FiveAus

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm currently reading The House of Memories by Monica MacInerney, it's fantastic. So are the rest of her books.

Other "can't put downs"

Me Before You, Jo Jo Moyes
Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
Room, Emma Donaghue
Anything written by Caroline Overington.
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Four Fires by Bryce Courtenay
Whitethorn by Bryce Courteney (actually most of his books I couldn't put down).

#22 skylark

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Gone Girl. Current bestseller, really good thriller with a BIG twist in it. I was hesitant about it because so many people raved over it, so I thought it might not live up to the hype, but I really couldn't put it down.

#23 LookMumNoHands

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

I read them a couple of years ago, and haven't been able to read anything since that has grabbed me as much.

#24 fraidycat

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'm with you on the Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling.  I have it on audio book and have really enjoyed it. I love audio books.

#25 Copacetic

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Me before you by Jojo Moyes was fantastic

Gosh how I loved this book.  I was so surprised by it.  Absolutely perfect.

Also love Marian Keyes and have read the Bronze Horseman Trilogy many times and never get sick of it.

Am also about to start The Twelve, which is the follow up the Passage and I'm really excited about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.