TTC or Pregnant Hyperemesis Gravidarum Sufferers and Survivors #31

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#76 monkeys mum

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

So happy to finally find where this thread was hiding!

Im 14wks today, this is my second time with HG, for those worried about it recurring the first time i had it was my first pregnancy and it lasted till 36/38wks somewhere around that mark. Back then Zofran was not classed how it is today and from what my gp told me little was known about it in pregnancy. My second and third pregnancy i had basic ms and not for long so this time has thrown me for a six. Almost nine years between pregnancies you kind of forget, this time has been worst though as ive been hospitalised already, i have three kids to care for, and now i have the added fun of suffering from migraines.

Ive been on Zofran, but they arent making much difference for me, im still sick multiple times a day. Friday i had to get dp to pull over on a 100k stretch of road to empty my stomach, not just my normal pull over puke n go, but a long drawn out puke and go. I got back in the car and just sat there and cried, dp got worried as im not a crier normally but my throat has a constant burn to it and it just hurts.

I cant even have any dairy, i used to be able to tolerate at least two white coffees a day now my lactose intolerance has gone to tolerating nothing. I have hardly cooked dinner in the past fortnight, not a great thing since dp leaves for work at 4pm, so i feel guilty the kds havent had many proper cooked dinners as my freezer meals ran out, so theres been more something on toast, or take away, or popping to my parents for dinner then normal. My kids are great, though they know i dont have the energy so muck up at bedtime, but if im being sick one will come and check on me and the other will play with the youngest.

My migraines started after my youngest was born and not pregnant i am on a preventor and some decent pills, pregnant i cant have either of these. My doc has done me a script for panedeine forte but i dont know if i want codeine in pregnancy, and think the risk/benefit ratio isnt worth it for me. HG and migraines dont mix well, dehydration and not enough sleep is a trigger for me, so is hormones, i used to know when af was due as i got a three day migraine. Now they have gone from routine to free range.  

I have lost five kg so far, i had an aim to maintain my weight this pregnancy but definately didnt expect to lose weight!

When hg is getting me down i sit and think, you know you have hg when...... And i got a funny list going, you have a bucket as the front seat passenger, you know not to leave home without a tooth brush and paste, you carry wet wipes and a few zip lock bags in your hand bag, theres more too lol

One thing i would love to know is has anyone found a cure for the burning throat?

#77 Starrydawn

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Monkeys mum and Kate, welcome to the thread. I have flashbacks just reading your posts. There are still soap smells that trigger me to feel ill to this day.

HG is really so effen hard to get through. For me it was the trapped in my own nauseous hell feeling. There was no escape 24/7.

I read something on the HG site that spoke true to me.. Someone had a tip that brought them relief. They lay on the bathroom floor and chanted please let me die, please let me die. It's how I felt.

I hope you all start to feel better miraculously soon.

#78 RealityBites

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Monkeysmum - I sip water for throat burn, doesn't always help. You poor thing, migraines as well  hhugs.gif

#79 kate_123

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

I love the 'you know u've got HG when....' . Thanks for the light relief in a hellish time. Today is 'you know u've got HG when ur shattered the scales reveal yet another day of amazing weight loss'
hummph. And I thought I did really well yesterday, apart from the disaster that was 'dinner'. rant.gif

#80 RealityBites

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

You know you have HG when you are terrified to catch an hour and a half train at 7.20am (tomorrow)  ohmy.gif

#81 kate_123

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

RealityBites, I hope you survived the trip this morning. Made me feel really ill just reading it! Yuck. I just sent my husband on a pharmacy run cause I couldnt face the 10min car trip!

#82 nickyblue

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Question: How early did you start feeling rough?  I know everyone is different but I am just trying to get an idea.

#83 Starrydawn

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

NickyBlue  I felt  nauseous  from the get go. It ramped up to I can't get out of bed at around 6 weeks.

#84 kate_123

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (nickyblue @ 16/12/2012, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question: How early did you start feeling rough?  I know everyone is different but I am just trying to get an idea.

I didn't start to feel sick until nearly 6/7 weeks, and then really ramped up and have taken time off work between week  9-13 weeks. 12 weeks atm so hoping it eases soon so I can go back to work next week. Its such a horrible experience. Im really scared its going to go on and on. Its such a long time to not eat properly and feel so ill. I  have no idea how people cope with this throughout their entire pregnancy (Im hoping I won't have to find out first hand either!)

#85 Starrydawn

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (kate_123 @ 17/12/2012, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't start to feel sick until nearly 6/7 weeks, and then really ramped up and have taken time off work between week  9-13 weeks. 12 weeks atm so hoping it eases soon so I can go back to work next week. Its such a horrible experience. Im really scared its going to go on and on. Its such a long time to not eat properly and feel so ill. I  have no idea how people cope with this throughout their entire pregnancy (Im hoping I won't have to find out first hand either!)

Kate, I hope for your sake it does too. But be prepared for it not too. Unlike normal MS HG can keep going. My worst weeks were between 12-22weeks. But everyone is very different. Don't push yourself to work if you cant as it will make things worse.

#86 kate_123

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks chedasha.

I have a question about weight loss/gain. If I do manage to start eating again in the second trimester hands.gif , should I be aiming to gain the weight I have lost plus the recommended weight gain for second trimester, or should I just aim for gaining the weight recommended from my new, lower weight that I am now at 12 weeks? I want to be healthy but don't want to go overboard either IFYKWIM

#87 Starrydawn

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Kate, personally I would just be aiming to eat full stop. Just eat healthy and the weight will take care of itself.

I ended up only putting on around 5kg for my pregnancy. Made up for it once baby was born lol.

#88 nickyblue

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yep I suffered all the way through and made up for it big time after!  I was like someone who had been in a desert for 9 months without food or drink!  I just ate everything in sight!!!  

Thanks for your info on when it started for you ladies - I think it was a false alarm but I had a bought of sickness and there was a split second I thought I might be utd!

#89 purple_daisy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (kate_123 @ 13/12/2012, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today is 'you know u've got HG when ur shattered the scales reveal yet another day of amazing weight loss'

roll2.gif so true!!! In months gone by I would have been cheering and probably bought a new pair of skinny-er pants to celebrate the weight loss hehe, my how things change!

Welcome to the new ladies on here. I hope for your sake that your hg eases much sooner than you expect and that you get great support from friends and family.

Monkey's mum you asked about the burning throat. I know exactly what you mean and find that I usually can't eat or drink for ages due to the discomfort. The only thing I found was to give myself a good hour or two before I tried consuming anyhing, then have only a small portion of a cold thing eg slice of refridgerated peach/mango or one mouthful of cold milo. Of course that only helps once you are past the throw-everything-up stage but I found the cold helped soothe my throat. I recommend avoiding anything fizzy or starchy for several hours until the burning subsides a little bit. HTH.

Kate I agree with Chedasha, just aim to introduce food into your diet again, and be as healthy as possible and your weight should stabilise. I personally found that even once I started to eat it was several weeks before I could tolerate anything other than carbs (my diet was pringles, cooked chips, toast). Now I'm starting to tolerate salad and vegetables and I've found that without even trying I have gained back several of the 6kg that I lost, and wouldn't be surprised if I am back to my starting weight by 20 weeks. Last pregnancy (twins) I was only about 5-10kg past my starting weight at the birth and most of that fell off in hospital so I recommend just eating healthily - don't be tempted by the chips and chocolates just because you suddenly are able to eat them again - and you should be fine.

AFM Ladies let me encourage you - when things start to improve, no matter when that is for you, life will start to seem SO MUCH BRIGHTER. I'm now down to being sick about once every second day, so have been able to return to eating lots of normal foods. Last night we even had some indian takeaway :0 Even though it still brings me down every time I throw up, I have stopped having all those terrible dark thoughts about the pregnancy and even started to smile and laugh at things again. I have been able to hold conversations on the phone that don't revolve around how miserable I am, and I love being able to interact with my daughter again. So while it might not be easy, please take comfort that if you can just keep slogging through this horrible time, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and the world will come right again  hhugs.gif

I've gone back to work a few days a week after two months of sick leave and while that has been very exhausting and overwhelming, it is nice to have a reason to shower and get dressed each morning and to be able to see people during the day. I'm looking forward to the break over Christmas though, so long as it doesn't get too hot!

#90 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi girls, sorry I've been MIA for so long. I've finished up work now until jan, and then I have transferred to a closer office due to my HG. So instead of 1.5hrs in traffic each way it will be about 10mins!! Yay!!! Even pulled over on the freeway yesterday puking up my farewell cake didn't feel like the end of the world as I knew it was the last day of that drive.

Purple daisy I'm so glad to hear you are doing better. It really is such a relief I know. I'm still on meds but the last 2 days have taken them further apart which is a great achievement.

Also I've managed to put on just over 1kg!!!! Not vomiting after every meal makes such a difference, and I have gone with the notion that if I think I can stomach it then eat it!

Sorry for those still suffering badly, I am crossing everything for you that it eases up soon, as even if it doesn't go entirely it's nice to have it lessen up. I can handle the vomiting, but the constant nausea has been the killer for me.

I may not pop in all that often as no Internet other thanmy phone, but I am thinking of you all!

#91 kate_123

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

purple daisy - that was such a relief reading you post, knowing things improve. THANKYOU! I have had some relief the past few days, slowly eating a bit more and feeling less of the constant severe nausea and I agree the world does seem so much brighter, I almost forget already just how bad it was. I think also the excitement of sharing our news with everyone the last few days and no longer having to suffer in silence also helps.

zaacaa Im so glad youve had some better days too. I havent cut back the zofran just yet and agree its the nausea not the vomiting thats the real killer. You must be soooo happy about work! thats amazing! any chance you can stay there permanently? Sounds much more family friendly too. You won't know yourself with all the extra time on your hands! Im planning to go back to work next monday, luckily short weeks with all the public holidays!

Hope things continue to improve with everyone and everyone can enjoy christmas at least a little bit xxx

#92 kate_123

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

You know you have HG when....you consider red jelly to be a festive meal!

#93 RealityBites

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

My big tip for any newbies: skip the maxolon and go straight to Zofran wafers. I wish I'd known this 14 weeks ago!

#94 Camizebra

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Just wanted to say hello to all you poor darlings suffering HG.  I had it for my entire PG and decorated my labour suite from top to bottom with vomit LOL...  Sending you all so many wellness vibes.

I'm not sure about you girls, but I remember worrying so much about taking crazy cocktails of medicines (zofran/ondansetron were the only ones that worked for me) on my growing baby, but he is as happy and healthy as anything and grew like a champ in the womb (two weeks early, 3.5kg).  I just wanted to say do what you need to do to get through each day.  Do whatever it takes.  For me that was medicine (I don't even normally take panadol) and salt and vinegar chips (can't STAND the sight of them now).  I know it's hard to believe that you will ever feel happy or joyful about your growing baby, but it will come, I PROMISE!

Oh, also reading luvb's posts made me cry.  You were such a support to me when I was in my darkest depths of despair.  This board is so lucky to have you...

#95 RealityBites

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am sick of being pregnant. I am sick of being sick. 18 weeks of HG ..

#96 kate_123

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hey reality bites. I'm so sorry to hear ur still so sick sad.gif . My hg has settled thank god at 16wks. I can't imagine it continuing. I would say now I just get 'normal' ms. Omg it's such a different ball game. U puke and then just get on with ur day and u can eat!!!! So different. Now I understand what other people think being sick is and why they're advice was so unhelpful when u have hg. It is such a different experience. Ms is a piece of cake after experiencing hg.

#97 RealityBites

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Kate - I shouldn't complain, it's nowhere near as bad as it was. I take Zofran every morning. Probably have 1-2 bad days / fortnight now but I am still over it  sad.gif

#98 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hi girls, sorry its been so long! Reality that sucks you are still feeling awful. I'm still medicated here also, 21 weeks tomorrow, but I tend to only throw up once or twice in the mornings these days and some random afternoons also, so whilst not great it's certainly an improvement. Managing to eat most foods and have actually gained 2.5 Kgs! Still below pre-preg weight but getting there. But none of this second trimester energy sadly, I am still exhausted! I think being sick just saps everything out of you. But we did find out we are having another boy so there's been lots of excitement about that and gives me something to plan for and look forward to. All the kicks also make it better! Luckily they haven't made me puke yet!

#99 outdoorgirl81

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi all,

I haven't been in for ages, which I feel bad about after receiving so much support from the board during this pregnancy, but life gets so busy. After suffering HG till 14 weeks and run of the mill nausea till 18 the rest of my pregnancy has been quite good, with the exception of terrible reflux and a mild 3rd trimester relapse of nausea, but no vomiting ((just a lot of horrible acid "spew burps", I hate them, sorry for TMI) I am not almost 39 weeks and I honestly think this will be my past pregnancy, I don't think I have another 1st trimester left in me.

After 2 HG pregnancies, both horrible, the big difference this time was I was much more proactive with meds and IV fluids, followed a strict protocol, and totally knocked myself out at night time with phenergan or restavit to get sleep and a bit of relief. I tried a lot more alternative therapies this time, including acupuncture and hypnotherapy, but apart from the affect on the hip pocket they didn;t really help my well being at all. Zofran did help significantly with vomiting.

I am always thinking kind and loving thoughts to all the poor ladies who are in the suffering zone, and just wanted to remind people it WILL pass. Every woman who experiences HG is an amazing survivor in my eyes (and I hate talk like this normally) and there is no point expecting others in our life to understand just how truly horrible it is because unless you have been there, you couldn't understand.

Oh, just reading a couple of previous posts below, I think the early pregnancy takes so much out of me I never fully recover, I always thought I would be a swimming, yogaing, walking glowy preggers mum, instead I just kind of drag myself through the weeks.

#100 RealityBites

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

How is everyone going?

I had my glucose test this morning, and lost 3 tablets of zofran somewhere! I took one before I went and amazingly kept it down. The hospital let me lay in a bed, darkened room, they were great  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.