What are your Reading ATM #16

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#201 IamzFeralz

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

I have a very Afghan theme at the moment.

Just finished The Taliban Cricket club http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0062091255  I could not put it down!

Before that I read The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul and then next I will be reading And the Mountains Echoed.  Both are ebooks from the local library. I upgraded to the Kobo Glo recently and am not getting much sleep!

Edited by Henndigo, 05 August 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#202 Tyfle Hour

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I just read The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul too!  I picked up an op shop copy.  I also just read Light Between the Oceans.  I enjoyed them both.  Reading some YA at the moment, just finished Princess Ben, one of my DD's novels and it wasn't what I expected at all, and the language was a bit overly flowery for me, but I liked it.

#203 Ianthe

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have been doing lots of study reading so I am also re reading the Harry Potter novels. I am onto The Order of the Phoenix.

#204 Tyfle Hour

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

I'm reading Wool by Hugh Howey and really enjoying it.  I quite like dystopian novels anyway, but this one's sucked me in so far.  A bit annoyed with getting to know a couple of characters at the beginning only to have them die, but you'd think I'd be used to that after reading Game of Thornes!

#205 ByJeepersMizPeeper

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'm reading once of the Cathy Glass Books! it is absolutely tearing my heart out, I can only read a few pages at a time without being sick!  A real eye opener in a terrible terrible way!  :(

Edited by CrunchyNut, 22 August 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#206 asignatureofthings

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Have got myself back into reading, & finished 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn today. Was a good story, with a few twists.

Tonight I started ' Someday, someday maybe' by Lauren Graham. I was hoping I'd read it all tonight, in a few hours, but I fell asleep before I could finish chapter 2 :doh:

#207 IamzFeralz

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Currently reading "The Rosie Project" borrowed on my Kobo from the elibrary.  Absolutely hillarious so far and I would highly recommend - its so hard not to snort out with laughing.  I really like Don, the main character.

#208 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've been reading the Desperate Duchess series by Eloise someone or other that a friend has loaned me.

Also a few books by Kelley Armstrong I got from the Library.  I've decided to do authors by alphabet, since it's too hard to choose.  A and B last borrow, B and C next.

At the moment, until I get back to the library, I'm re-reading the Merry Gentry books by Laurell K Hamilton.  I feel like a traitor, but I much prefer them to the Anita Blakes.

#209 bondi19

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Mt Left Foot

by Christy Brown - Best book ever.....amazing.... just finished it and it makes mere 'fiction' redundant.

When he was four months old, Brown's mother was the first to notice that there was something wrong with his health. He could not hold his head upright or control his body movements. After seeking medical advice, the family's worst fears were confirmed: Christy was physically handicapped and suffered from an incurable disability called cerebral palsy. His family, besides his mother, thought he was an idiot. They told his mother to give up.
Although the doctors did not believe in Brown's mental intelligence, his mother did not lose faith in her son and supported him as a full member of the family.
A transforming moment occurs in the young boy's life that proves him to be intelligent. He discovers that he can control his left foot and toes. At the age of five, he snatches a piece of yellow chalk from his sister with his left foot. He marks the letter "A" on the floor with his foot and the help of his mother. He had wanted to make, what he described as, "a wild sort of scribble with it on the slate". It is from this incident that the book received its title. In this moment, Brown had found a way to express himself since he could not speak like a healthy child.
http://en.wikipedia....eft_Foot_(book)

Edited by bondi19, 05 September 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#210 Tyfle Hour

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostSoprano-Cat, on 05 September 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

I've been reading the Desperate Duchess series by Eloise someone or other that a friend has loaned me.

Eloisa James.  They're very silly but fun!  They're her best, the ones I've read lately have been a bit disappointing.

I'm rereading Annes House of Dreams.

#211 asignatureofthings

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I just finished 'Mr Penumbra's 24hr Bookstore' (by Robin Sloan). Can't say I enjoyed it, was a bit blah for me.

In the last week I've read;

The Midwife's Confession - Diane Chamberlain
Light Between Two Oceans - M L Stedman
The Night Circus - Erin Morganstern -LOVED this!
Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp
Shining Girls - Lauren Buekes
The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

About to start The Magicians (followed by The Magician King) by Lev Grossman.

#212 Molondy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

The Magicians was terrific but I haven't read the Magician King yet. Perhaps next.

Currently I am reading River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay. Lovely historical fantasy...

#213 Tyfle Hour

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm surprised how much I enjoyed Anne's House of Dreams.  I loved the Anne books when I was younger but I think I lost interest after she married, and hardly remembered it.  I liked it a lot.

I'm reading a YA novel, Code Name Verity set in WW2.  Two excellent female characters.  I'm loving it.

#214 Molondy

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Has anyone read "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher"?

It gets mixed reviews on good reads  but looks interesting....

http://www.goodreads...rom_search=true

#215 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

I am reading "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared"  -totally different to what I expected (well, I am not sure what exactly I expected), but certainly entertaining and keeping me interested.

I have "Elie Weasel", "The Night Circus", and "The Light Between Oceans" ready to read on my upcoming 9 night camping trip.

#216 cardamom

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm reading - well, trying to read - Wetlands, by Charlotte Roche.

It's very slow going, as I can't read more than a few pages at a time before I have to put the book down because I want to vomit a little bit (really graphic, over the top descriptions of miscellaneous bodily functions/fluids).

I'm actually loving that I'm so confronted by it. I'm usually very nonchalant and un-gross-out-able when it comes to that kind of thing, so I'm surprised and impressed at my response to it.

#217 Elemenopee

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Just Audiobooked (is that cheating?) Ready Player One, read by Wil Wheaton but I've forgotten the author!
For an 80's child/video game lover like myself, it was awesome. Set in the future, a billionaire leaves a series of clues to his fortune in "The Oasis", a huge virtual reality universe that the entire world uses as an escape from the real world.

#218 Berndt Tőst

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

I'm finally reading Shantaram. I buy op shop books, so I'm always behind the fashions.

#219 Winterlong

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Just read Burial Rites by Hannah Kent.

In the middle of Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

#220 Tyfle Hour

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I read Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver which was fantastic, a YA novel about a girl who has to relive her last day over and over.

Now I'm reading another of hers, Delirium which is a dystopian novel where love is considered a disease and everyone is cured of it around their 18th birthday.  I'm really enjoying it.

In between these two I read To Catch an Heiress, a very silly fluffy historical romance by Julia Quinn. It was fun.

#221 ~A2~

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thread closed

New thread here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.