Gestational Diabetes #67

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic

#26 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the links, it's not so much finding a snack I like it's eating it. I find I have to eat so much with all my meals and snacks. I got half way through dinner last night and had to sleep right down to fit it in, all i have was a small piece of steak, zucchini and jacket potatoes.

I ate my after dinner snack like I was told to and my morning reading was 6.0. My readings have been 5.7,5.2,6.4,5.5,5.3,4.8,5.8,5.6 so they are going over more often than staying under.

I'm really frustrated by the difference responses from hospital staff. I've called and left my number for the diabetes clinic again today, I'm hoping the guy I spoke to on Tuesday calls back as he seemed much more educated than the lady I spoke to yesterday, also much more personable.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The hardest part of this all for me is not having answers, I like to plan, I like to know what's coming. I know there is a certain amount of unpredictability when pregnant but this is just all over the place, I want to know if I can go over due because I usually do, if I can't what's my limit, does my BP affect this. I know these things would only be accurate for as things stand now but I want to know, then if it changes I'll ask again.

I had such easy pregnancies, this one really has my head spinning.

#27 rhihoot

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (InsertAwesomeHere @ 26/10/2012, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the links, it's not so much finding a snack I like it's eating it. I find I have to eat so much with all my meals and snacks. I got half way through dinner last night and had to sleep right down to fit it in, all i have was a small piece of steak, zucchini and jacket potatoes.

I ate my after dinner snack like I was told to and my morning reading was 6.0. My readings have been 5.7,5.2,6.4,5.5,5.3,4.8,5.8,5.6 so they are going over more often than staying under.

I'm really frustrated by the difference responses from hospital staff. I've called and left my number for the diabetes clinic again today, I'm hoping the guy I spoke to on Tuesday calls back as he seemed much more educated than the lady I spoke to yesterday, also much more personable.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The hardest part of this all for me is not having answers, I like to plan, I like to know what's coming. I know there is a certain amount of unpredictability when pregnant but this is just all over the place, I want to know if I can go over due because I usually do, if I can't what's my limit, does my BP affect this. I know these things would only be accurate for as things stand now but I want to know, then if it changes I'll ask again.

I had such easy pregnancies, this one really has my head spinning.

InsertAwesomeHere: Sorry to hear you're getting so frustrated, I also feel more comfortable with one of my GD educators then the other... cross fingers everytime I call. I find I can't really eat potatoes or usually only half of one, so have switched to sweet potato and added a tone of greens to my plate. One of those websites mentions eating the almonds before a carb heavy meal, something about it blocking the glucose. Also finding I get better readings when I don't force food (no matter how tasty, damn self control) and am slightly hungry by the time I have to test. I know your situation might be vastly different to mine, but I can totally understand your frustration. I looked at the suggested diet plan, and it was way more food then I was used to eating. So found it was the types/brands of food (switching everything to low GI, low fat) and a slight change to quantities that does it.

BTW had a 32 week growth scan yesterday and bubs is in 80% percentile... gonna be a big fella! But he's healthy and that's the main thing. I only have little hips/pelvis, so possibly looking at induction, we'll see after scan at 36-38 weeks.

#28 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Spoke to someone who seemed a lot more educated today, I go in next wk for the insulin information session and then I start a night time dose to control my morning levels.

I won't be going past 40 wks, they will keep an eye on bubs size as well and may be induced early depending on what bub is doing.

#29 Lokum

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

IAH: Did you have your info sesssion and start insulin yet? Hope it's going well for you.

Rihoot: big baby! Still a way to go though, so I guess yours could come back closer to average?

Mine was about 60th centile at 34 weeks, so comfy. We're doing CTGs twice a week now, and my boy's still doing well. I've got day time insulin now for when I'm out and can't make a perfect food choice, which is helping smooth out a few bumps I was having.

My c/s is in 3 weeks! but I'll be trying for VBAC on the off chance I go into labour before then.

Spirited - have you got a referral for a GTT? Sounds like it might not be a bad idea.

Hope everyone else is tracking along OK.

#30 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Lokum @ 30/10/2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IAH: Did you have your info sesssion and start insulin yet? Hope it's going well for you.

Rihoot: big baby! Still a way to go though, so I guess yours could come back closer to average?

Mine was about 60th centile at 34 weeks, so comfy. We're doing CTGs twice a week now, and my boy's still doing well. I've got day time insulin now for when I'm out and can't make a perfect food choice, which is helping smooth out a few bumps I was having.

My c/s is in 3 weeks! but I'll be trying for VBAC on the off chance I go into labour before then.

Spirited - have you got a referral for a GTT? Sounds like it might not be a bad idea.

I had the info session yesterday afternoon and I was meant to start last night but DP works nights every second wk so he wasn't home and I freaked out that I was going to end up with a massive low and chickened out.

I will try better tonight. My morning reading this morning was 5.7 and they've only put me on 4ml or  mg, I can't remember which one it is and she said I would most likely need more than that. I did a dry shot at the info session and it didn't hurt at all. They're sending me for ultrasounds every 4 wks to keep an eye on bub too.

#31 rhihoot

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Lokum @ 30/10/2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would hope so! My belly measures fine, and although they've said he measures a week ahead since 12 weeks he's always remained inside averages. My family does grow decent size babies but nothing above 9lbs. Dr appointment on Monday to discuss the scan in detail though.

Goodluck with trying for a VBAC original.gif

#32 ~spirited~

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Lokum, thanks for reminding me to call the hospital and make my booking in appointment! I am 12 weeks today and they won't make it until then. Unfortunately the next available appointment isn't until December 18! I'll be almost 19 weeks by then! I told her I had GD previously and she told me to get a referral for a GTT from my GP, and then they might let me attend the endocrine clinic as a non booked in patient. Farrout! Apparently they are running a month behind on appointments. Fantastic!

My fasting levels have been consistently high (avg 5.5-5.7), some post meal reading high (especially if I exceed my carb allocation by a little bit, eg 40g instead of 30g). I have to admit I've been feeling pretty crappy this week, and as an emotional eater have been eating very poorly. I feel terrible, and that's part of the reason I want to get the official diagnosis, so I can't make any excuses, and I have to do the right thing by my baby. As hard as I find it to take care of myself, I had no problems whatsoever when I was pregnant with DS, because it wasn't just me I was doing it for.

IAH - last time I started on 2 units of slow release and had to increase by 2 units every 3 nights. I saw the endo pretty much weekly, and she would bump me a bit more (eg from 6 units to 10 units, then start increasing again). My fasting levels didn't come down until I was on over 30 units before bed, so it took a few weeks to get there.

Rhihoot - my DS was still measuring big at my 35 week growth scan, and was born weighing 3.25 kg (25th percentile), length was 51cm (50th percentile) so not big at all!

Edited by ~spirited~, 01 November 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#33 Zarlias

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hello Ladies,

It is with a frustrated brain that I find myself joining this group. I have had a Dx of GD for almost a week now, and I just can't wrap my silly little, hormone riddled brain around what I am doing wrong.

I had an education session last Friday, as well as a visit to the dietician etc etc, after which I spent three days testing levels and keeping a diary until another meeting on Tuesday. Basically, despite following their food rules to the letter, all bar my fasting levels were shot, so I headed to the clinic on Tuesday knowing it wasn't going to be pretty. After they entered my numbers into their computer doohicky, it recommended I start taking insulin, but I managed to convince them that 3 days just isn't enough time, and so I was granted a week's clemency to keep adjusting the diet and see if I could get things on track.

My biggest issue early on was actually fitting in all the food that they wanted - going from eating 1 - 2 times a day to 5 -6 was just making feel ill. Also the dietician said it needs to be 3 -4 serves of carbs for main meals, and 1-2 for snacks. I was going to explode - these days, my tummy just isn't big enough to eat that much. It's since been adjusted, and she is happy for me to focus on eating 3 meals a day, each with 2 -4 serves of carbs if that's all I can fit in.

Anyway, ever since then, my fasting levels have gone up (between 5.4 and 6) where they used to be fine. I had 2 days of lovely 2-hour readings, and then today, copped a 7.8 after eating the exact same lunch that yesterday scored only 5.7! UGH!!

I realise that insulin isn't the end of the world, but I was really hoping that it was a last resort, not straight out of the gate. Do you ladies have any experience that might help me? I know I should be trying to exercise, but I also have had SPD since 16 weeks, and it just hurts sad.gif What am I doing wrong? Why does the same food give me such different readings? Why has my fasting level suddenly flipped out?

Sorry, I know you're not doctors, and I will be waddling back to the clinic on Tuesday, but it's just doing my head in, so I guess this is a kinda vent post too.

Man, if female bodies are made for making babies, I'd hate to see how hard I fail at something we're NOT meant to do  mad.gif

#34 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'm 20 wks and was diagnosed about 3 wks ago. After 1.5 wks of high fasting levels i'm already on insulin because I can't get the morning numbers down.

I'm not sure why your other numbers would be all over the place as mine are pretty consistent at the moment.

I do know they expect mine to go up at about 28 wks due to a hormone surge so maybe you're close to that point and your hormones are all whacko.

#35 rhihoot

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Zarlias @ 01/11/2012, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Ladies,

It is with a frustrated brain that I find myself joining this group. I have had a Dx of GD for almost a week now, and I just can't wrap my silly little, hormone riddled brain around what I am doing wrong.

I had an education session last Friday, as well as a visit to the dietician etc etc, after which I spent three days testing levels and keeping a diary until another meeting on Tuesday. Basically, despite following their food rules to the letter, all bar my fasting levels were shot, so I headed to the clinic on Tuesday knowing it wasn't going to be pretty. After they entered my numbers into their computer doohicky, it recommended I start taking insulin, but I managed to convince them that 3 days just isn't enough time, and so I was granted a week's clemency to keep adjusting the diet and see if I could get things on track.

My biggest issue early on was actually fitting in all the food that they wanted - going from eating 1 - 2 times a day to 5 -6 was just making feel ill. Also the dietician said it needs to be 3 -4 serves of carbs for main meals, and 1-2 for snacks. I was going to explode - these days, my tummy just isn't big enough to eat that much. It's since been adjusted, and she is happy for me to focus on eating 3 meals a day, each with 2 -4 serves of carbs if that's all I can fit in.

Anyway, ever since then, my fasting levels have gone up (between 5.4 and 6) where they used to be fine. I had 2 days of lovely 2-hour readings, and then today, copped a 7.8 after eating the exact same lunch that yesterday scored only 5.7! UGH!!

I realise that insulin isn't the end of the world, but I was really hoping that it was a last resort, not straight out of the gate. Do you ladies have any experience that might help me? I know I should be trying to exercise, but I also have had SPD since 16 weeks, and it just hurts sad.gif What am I doing wrong? Why does the same food give me such different readings? Why has my fasting level suddenly flipped out?

Sorry, I know you're not doctors, and I will be waddling back to the clinic on Tuesday, but it's just doing my head in, so I guess this is a kinda vent post too.

Man, if female bodies are made for making babies, I'd hate to see how hard I fail at something we're NOT meant to do  mad.gif

I had similar battles with recommended diets. I wouldn't normally eat as much as they said, and have basically devised a diet which works for me. It does involve 3 small meals and 3 snacks though but everything is low GI. Like they recommend 2/3 cup Spec K and piece of fruit- but the spec K alone was taking me over, so I have half a cup with a little sprinkle of muesli and a Kiwi fruit because it's small. That keeps me going until I do my 2 hour test then I can have a snack which might be a few almonds, a couple of crackers with low fat cheese and a cup of tea (no sugar) and/or piece of fruit depending how long lunch is away. Night time snack is just a few tablespoons of low fat/low GI yoghurt. Seems like half to a cup of carbs is all I need at every major meal.

I'm still growing a decent size healthy baby so far, so it isn't adversely effecting him.  

Same thing also has happened to me whereby I eat the exact same thing the next day and it takes me over, but this is usually due the level of activity I do that day - I don't say exercise as such because I don't really set aside an exercise 'time'. Must be a struggle with SPD and I have no idea what they recommend for that. But I just make sure I walk or move around about 10-15mins after major meals. Even on the couch, I'll sit up, stretch or move my arms about, flex my feet, rotate head and shoulders, get on all fours and just hang out like that for 10-15 (also will get baby if good birth position later and helps with back pain). While on all fours, might tense and relax stomach muscles a few times, or do a few little push ups. I also take stairs where I can, park further away, try to walk at a decent and consistant pace when I can... braxton hicks' usually try to put a stop to that Tounge1.gif

I can totally relate to the frustration, keep at your support people to help you through. At least you can be assured that you and your bubs will get benefit from a healthy diet.

#36 rhihoot

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Zarlias @ 01/11/2012, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Ladies,

I had similar battles with recommended diets. I wouldn't normally eat as much as they said, and have basically devised a diet which works for me. It does involve 3 small meals and 3 snacks though but everything is low GI. Like they recommend 2/3 cup Spec K and piece of fruit- but the spec K alone was taking me over, so I have half a cup with a little sprinkle of muesli and a Kiwi fruit because it's small. That keeps me going until I do my 2 hour test then I can have a snack which might be a few almonds, a couple of crackers with low fat cheese and a cup of tea (no sugar) and/or piece of fruit depending how long lunch is away. Night time snack is just a few tablespoons of low fat/low GI yoghurt. Seems like half to a cup of carbs is all I need at every major meal.

I'm still growing a decent size healthy baby so far, so it isn't adversely effecting him.  

Same thing also has happened to me whereby I eat the exact same thing the next day and it takes me over, but this is usually due the level of activity I do that day - I don't say exercise as such because I don't really set aside an exercise 'time'. Must be a struggle with SPD and I have no idea what they recommend for that. But I just make sure I walk or move around about 10-15mins after major meals. Even on the couch, I'll sit up, stretch or move my arms about, flex my feet, rotate head and shoulders, get on all fours and just hang out like that for 10-15 (also will get baby if good birth position later and helps with back pain). While on all fours, might tense and relax stomach muscles a few times, or do a few little push ups. I also take stairs where I can, park further away, try to walk at a decent and consistant pace when I can... braxton hicks' usually try to put a stop to that Tounge1.gif

I can totally relate to the frustration, keep at your support people to help you through. At least you can be assured that you and your bubs will get benefit from a healthy diet.

#37 Becstarinator

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hey, hey everybody,

Welcome and commiserations to the new ladies who have joined the group.  Personally I have found the group very friendly and a wealth of information.

I feel so evil coming in here and saying everything is ticking along nicely at the moment, my numbers are still good at the moment.  I know this can change as I get closer to 30 weeks (25 weeks on Tuesday) but have my fingers crossed it won't.

I was just popping in to let you know that I have discovered "Made for You" frozen meals at Woolworths.  They are low GI frozen meals.  So far I have tried the Supreme Pizza and it wasn't too bad and didn't spike my levels at all.  I have another one in the freezer that is a beef hot pot and sweet potato or something like that that I'm yet to try.  I figure having one for a quick meal than take out occasionally would be good....you know for those nights you just can't be bothered cooking.

Anyhoo I must away as it is dinner time but have been reading everyone's posts but not having any experience with insulin yet I will leave the comments on that to the more experienced ladies who can give the right advice about it.

#38 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

I started 4 units of insulin on Thursday night and it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I called in this morning to give my results, they'll call back after 12 and I'm pretty sure they will up the dose as what I'm on has affected my morning numbers at all.

Yesterday morning I did get a 4.8 but it's like a random 4.8 that happened for no reason because I didn't do anything different. Maybe it's a wrong result and I should have tested again.

I keep the insulin in the fridge because I only need it overnight and I find it stings as it goes in and for a little while after, I'm sure it's normal.

Also between stretch marks and veins i'm finding it hard not to hit anything that leaves a bruise.

#39 Zarlias

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Still trudging along here trying to get a handle on all of this, but I have a couple more questions if anyone has answers.

I am curious to know how accurate people think their testing machine is? Over the last few days I have gone back and read a lot of the older threads here and it seems that people are divided. Only reason I ask is that the other morning I got a fasting reading of 3.6, and considering all of my readings for over a week have been 5.4 and up, I figured it must have been a mistake so I retested and got my standard 5.4. After that, I started to question readings in relation to what I had eaten eg: very low carb meals giving me 7.5+, or the same meal as yesterday giving me a vastly different number. Every single prick gives me a different result. Surely this can't be right? Just seems that it adds to the frustration though, so I have to just do 1 and stop or I'll be stabbing myself for ever.

My other question is a simple one: Why am I so tired? In other threads, people are saying how they feel better on the GD diet etc etc. I have never felt worse. My eyes are bugging out of my head by 10am, I spend almost all afternoon slothing on the couch. I realise I'm pregnant, but this last week it has gotten beyond stupid. Basically, since I started this stupid diet, I just want to sleep and nothing is making it better.

I really hope the rest of you ladies are finding this a whole pile easier than I. Happy thoughts to you all.

Edited for DP

Edited by Zarlias, 05 November 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#40 Eeyolet

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi everyone, I thought I should introduce myself, I am 32w pregnant with #3 and after 4 GTTs (16w, 25w, 28w & 32w) I have finally tested positive for GD (over 10 at 2hrs). I am not overly suprised as I had insulin dependent GD in my last pregnancy too. Bubs is already measuring at 85th percentile and I have a huge bump. hopefully I can avoid insulin for at least a few weeks but we will wait and see I suppose. I am meeting with the diabetes educator on Wednesday for a refresher.

#41 Becstarinator

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well something went wrong with lunch today...not sure what, didn't eat anything or do anything different....and there it was a 7.1.  A 7.1 and all I could think was W.T.F.

I really hope it isn't a sign of things to come.  The diabetes clinic doctor did warn me that things in the next little while could become more unstable.  

My fasting numbers are still good but after lunch has been creeping slowly up but have been under 6.0 until today's high reading.

I told my DP that I think I'm going to have to get out and go for a walk around the block after lunch and see if that helps.  

Hopefully it was just a freaky one of thing.  I do know realistically there maybe nothing I can do to prevent going on insulin but I can still try, right?

#42 rhihoot

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Zarlias: My testing has always been reasonably accurate, maybe it's your machine...? The brand or a faulty one. I reckon if you get low readings, just be happy and keep the stabbing to a minimum. As for tiredness, sorry to say but I'm personally feeling great too, but I do know that my own natural stress mechanism is to feel really tired and exhausted. It seems like this GD thing has thrown you into a spin, as it did all of us I think most would agree. Maybe tackling your stress might be the key... easy to say I know, but do you think that might be it?

Becstarinator: My GD educator also recommended a 10-15 walk after eating, and so far so good.

As for me, had a really positive app with the Dr on Monday, he asked about my family history of baby sizes (all healthy sizes), then coupled with the fact that my numbers have been good (only 2 high in 6 days), that my big 80th percentile baby is probably not caused by GD - because he measures in proportion and fluids good etc. Said if I keep going as I am then I should expect a natural birth, booked me in for another growth scan at 37 weeks just in case though.

On a negative note, really not getting along with the diabetes educators, they had a totally different attitude to my few high numbers, had a go at one for being all doom & gloom. Thinking I may just not call my numbers in at all, stuff them! Just let the Dr take care of it. (Unless I start reading high regularly of course). Fully plan on giving them feedback on how to talk to pregnant women under a stressful situation, which isn't putting on your most patronising stern voice and providing lectures when none are needed. *sorry for vent.

#43 Cherish

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi, was told today I tested positive for GD sad.gif
Reading was 8.
Am pretty upset- had 4 normal pregnancies prior to this, and wasn't expecting this at all. Am 33 weeks and planning a homebirth so I hope the GD doesn't affect this.
Have to wait a week or so to see the endo clinic, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens now?  sad.gif

#44 Sunshineandsmiles

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hello ladies - hope everyone is going great original.gif

Just wondering if and when other's have had to go on insulin.  I seem to be able to manage after meals levels reasonably well.  However my fasting target is <5 (they did say if i went to 5.1 or 5.2 they wouldn't be overly concerned.  but fasting levels range between 5.4 and 6.0  My OB said he wasn't worried unless the fasting were continuously over 6.  Am meeting with the specialist at the end of the month but just hoping to get a bit of a heads up of others' experiences.

#45 5ratbags

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi ladies,

Welcome to the new ladies sorry you have ended up with gd.

I haven't posted in a while and things have been going good until now, my morph scan last week at 21 weeks showed bubs was measuring bang on for dates and all the organs looked good. So I walked out thinking great I am keeping my sugar levels under control she hasn't packed too much weight on yet.
I picked up the kids virus so the last few days I have felt like crap and I have had a spike as well as a drop in sugar levels but the early hours of this morning I woke up to lower backache and cramping and some pinkish discharge on my underwear   ohmy.gif  I had my ob appointment today and he thinks I have had a really small bleed. When he checked everything on the scan machine he couldn't see where it came from but there is a lot of fluid! My fundal height is measuring 4+weeks ahead and of course I have come home checked what excess fluid can cause and found pre term labour  as one of the complications. Arggh I already have an irritable uterus that has put me into threatened preterm labour before, now it looks like I might have something else that could up my chances. But why oh why if my blood sugars are under control and baby looks fine am I getting excess fluid still.
My ob wants to see me in two weeks instead of four, but does anyone have any ideas if I have increased in fluid levels what he is going to suggest? Could I be put on bed rest ????
I normally walk everywhere and I think that's why my bsls have been really good, the thought that I might have cut out exercise is worrying me because I know my levels will rise once I stop. sad.gif

Chersih good luck with getting your home birth , unfortunately if you end up on insulin I think you won't be allowed,don't know if it's diet controlled, fingers crossed they let you hands.gif

Becstarinator try the walking after lunch it can't hurt.Hopefully this figure really was just a random and not the start of becoming unstable , i hope you  get further down the track before you need insulin! bbighug.gif

Sunshineandsmiles My fasting levels have to remain at 5.5 or below if I get two readings above then I will be put on insulin, after meals I have a target of 6.5 anything above in multiple readings and it's the same story. Everybody seems to be getting different numbers though it seems to depend on where you are and who you see!

Well I need to post this before the iPad goes flat lol or I will have to start again!
Take care
Suzanne

#46 Sunshineandsmiles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thank you 5ratbags original.gif  thinking will end up on insulin because of the fasting but will see the specialist in a couple of weeks.

#47 ~spirited~

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I haven't posted in a while, think I've been in denial about having GD again. I has my GTT today so should know the results early next week.

Sunshineandsmiles- my limit for fasting levels in my first pregnancy was 5.0. I was up around the 5.4-5.7 range and was out on insulin pretty quickly. I have been monitoring my BSL already this pregnancy and my fasting levels are the same again, so I'm pretty sure I'll be diagnosed with GD when my GTT results are in.

#48 Lokum

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi All

I haven't posted in here in ages. There are so many of us at the moment!!

Spirited - Good luck to you. At least you know what's ahead sad.gif I hope you get the levels under control quite quickly.

Sunshineandsmiles - my target fasting levels were also 5.0 or below, and I couldn't manage it. I am still managing almost all my post-meal levels with diet/exercise alone, but have been taking insulin for my fasting level since about 10 days after diagnosis. I was keeping my nurse up to date with levels, and had an early appointment with my endo as I knew where we were headed. I started on 3units of slow-acting insulin overnight, and within 4-5 weeks I was up to 22 units, but after 35 weeks pregnant, it really stabilised.

It's not such a big deal (I'm used to injections after IVF), though it does mean your OB should really be careful about letting the PG progress too long (ie 40 weeks is usually cut off for insulin-dep GD, and mine is 38+5).

5ratbags - hope things are going OK for you, and the fluid level doesn't pose an ongoing or serious problem.

Cherish - not sure about the homebirth. I think they may well want a paed on hand to check the baby after birth, esp for BGL. It is a shame, the birth is definitely a bit more closely monitored in the light of GD. It needn't be full of interventions, but the risks that the placenta has deteriorated and the baby will not cope with a long labour are that much higher.

Hi to everyone else. Hope you're feeling good and levels are stable!

#49 Cherish

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Have been given the all clear for the homebirth at this stage.
Had a ph consult with the diabetic educator- she was fabulous.

Have been monitoring since yesterday, levels are all good. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

#50 Lokum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Cherish - that's great. Hoping it continues on! It's good to have an educator available by phone - all the benefits of regular contact and advice, without the time and expense of getting to appointments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.