Cheapest way to buy Lego?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 PJ Lover

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Anyone seen any good lego sales or online specials??

#2 Frau Farbissina

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Unfortunately I haven't found much myself.
There is  Bricks to the world, which has a few Lego items on sale

thehut.com is in the UK and is I think the only overseas seller of Lego I have found that actually posts to Australia. They have a big range, but have just redone their website and all the reduced prices they used to have don't appear to be on the Lego atm. But you could do a price comparison. I've found some items are a lot cheaper than here and others are close to the same.

#3 goldilachs

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

The Lego brickmaster books (come with a small pack of Lego and a story with things to build) are about a third off of BigW/ target prices on the book depository.  I'm always on the hunt for Lego specials too, they seem few and far between!

#4 ellebelle

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you have some time on your hands (ie. waiting for Xmas) I would do the following:

1) If you are not so fussy on the sets, Target / Kmart and Big W will have another mini toy sale prior to Xmas and there is always some Lego then that can be quite heavily reduced.
2) Myer will do lots of buy 2 toys get a third free in the lead up to Xmas (they did one last Saturday). If you are looking for a few sets around the same price (or other toys as well) this works out to be around 30% off. In addition, they will have an offer to buy gift cards and get 10% as a bonus. If you marry the two deals up ie. buy gift cards and then spend them when the offer is on, you are getting 40% off.

Hope this helps!

#5 casime

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I was always told that Norfolk Island was cheaper for lego (and other toys) although I don't know enough about prices to compare.  We always bought heaps when we went there on holidays when I was a kid and shipped it back sea mail as gifts so never paid taxes.  Can't wait for my son to be a bit older and we go on holidays over there!  Will be plenty of shopping to be done!

#6 ednaboo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

There is hardly any Lego available to ship to Aus from Amazon anymore, but I have found quite a bit that can be shipped from Amazon.de (German) and Amazon.fr (france).  I use Google Translate to interpret.  If you have an Amazon account, you use the same username and password.  Shipping costs aren't too bad.

Barnes and Noble is another option.

#7 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Barnes and noble.com ship as well and can often have very good prices

#8 mama2carysbaileigh

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Toysrus.com ship to Australia now

#9 cward

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Toysrus.com ship to Australia now
  Thansk for this.  I just got some stocking stuffers for my girls that were cheaper than Amazon and much easier to see if an item ships internationally as soon as you view something it automatically says it can be shipped internationally.

#10 Feraldadathome

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (cward @ 25/10/2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thansk for this.  I just got some stocking stuffers for my girls that were cheaper than Amazon and much easier to see if an item ships internationally as soon as you view something it automatically says it can be shipped internationally.

The biggest problem is lego is usually in big boxes with liots of air so, although not heavy, are quite a large volume and charged as such. I've bought lego where the shipping has been as much as the itme itself, so check that out.

#11 CupOfCoffee

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Also, for toys r us (in the US) there are black friday sales coming up.  Here is a link to the catalogue:

http://www.theblackfriday.com/toysrus-blackfriday.shtml

(Just so you can see if it is worth getting now or in a couple of days).  (I will probably get the red Lego cargo train).

#12 ednaboo

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 25/10/2012, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, for toys r us (in the US) there are black friday sales coming up.  Here is a link to the catalogue:

Do you still get the sale price online for the items that have coupons?

#13 CupOfCoffee

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (ednaboo @ 25/10/2012, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you still get the sale price online for the items that have coupons?

I don't know about the coupon ones sorry.

Edit to add: I will try when the sale starts and see if I can get the discounts online.

Edited by CupOfCoffee, 25 October 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#14 rnflorenzo

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Some cool deals from shopforme.com.au

Freinds Tree House 40% off 26.99
Friends Adventure Camper 33% off $33.49

Star Wars Desert Skiff 30% off $34.99
http://bit.ly/yWen6O

Super Heroes Hulks 30% $69.99
http://bit.ly/Mm8hrD

Lord of the rings MInes of Moria 30% off $83.99
http://bit.ly/KXbkIR

Volkswagen T1 Camper Van 10220 20% off $135.99
http://bit.ly/yOTrvZ

#15 Boyz_Mama

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hubby & I have a habbit now that we walk past the Lego aisle whenever in Kmart, Target or BigW cause never know when items will be on 'clearance' to get rid of the last items or when changing their productline. Most of our lego has been collected this way- up to 70% off sometimes! only specific items and rarely, but it has paid off for us over time. Have probably averaged 50% off.

Hubby did pickup one item (over $100rrp) on clearance for less than $10 once cause their was 'one wheel missing' for a car ... And when he opened it up founf there were no pieces missing - score!!

#16 Frau Farbissina

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

I just checked out toysrus.com - I want to get DS2 the Duplo doctor's clinic. It's currently on sale for AUD$51.49. Postage is $15.94. Total being $67.43. It's still cheaper than any price I have seen here, in the shops or online

Edited by Frau Farbissina, 26 October 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#17 B.feral3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have been buying Lego these last few days in preparation for Christmas. I live in a regional town with just Big W, Kmart and Target and all they seem to have is Star Wars and Ninjago.  mad.gif

I found the cheapest by far was Amazon.com so I filled up my basket to find that they wouldn't ship it to Australia.  rolleyes.gif Well a few smaller boxes they would. Not the bigger sets which are almost half price there compared to here without even being on sale.

I placed an order at the US ToysRus site last night. They were more expensive but still cheaper than here, even when Target have it 20% off. They currently have a deal where you spend $50 on Lego and get $10 off. Postage is $16 which is cheap considering how much I bought. I sold a 520g item on a FB buy sell page the other day which Australia Post charged me $12.90 to post and it's only going 150k's away!! I would have bought a few kg of Lego.

Anyway, that is my shopping experience. There are a bunch of Australian site that sell Lego exclusively. Fishpond.com.au sell it too with free shipping but the prices are higher than in the shops I found!!!

Edited by Bek+3, 26 October 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#18 Frau Farbissina

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Bek+3  - was that postage cost the total for more than one item? (I only put one item in the checkout)

#19 JJ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

The last couple of times I bought a Technic set for DS I found a South Korean eBay seller - they were very good and postage was free: http://stores.ebay.com.au/internationalecolandmarket

I haven't bought anything from there in 6 months though, so not sure if the prices are still competitive. 6 months ago it was by far the best deal I could find for the set DS wanted.

#20 B.feral3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

That was the total for my 9 items. Some of them were big too. Like I bought 2 of the big boxes of bricks.

#21 Chalkie

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

So far I have found ToysRUs.com to be the cheapest (including shipping to Australia).

Walmart has good prices and you can buy it through Tarazz?? (the Australia Post connected shipping site) but the ship prices are higher.

#22 Chalkie

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Lego.com also had a free shipping deal last week if you spent over $100.

Not sure how the overall prices would work on that.

#23 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

A lot of online purchasing sites calculate the shipping based on weight not dimensions so it is possible to get some good deals on the shipping original.gif   Lego weighs next to nothing and if the person loading the product onto the website doesn't realise the size of the box, the retailer can be underestimating the shipping costs!

#24 B.feral3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Lego Monsters Vampire Castle - $80 at Amazon but wont ship to Australia. $176 here.  cry1.gif

#25 Chalkie

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Bek+3 I bought that for my son from ToysRUs.Com last week.  THey now have $10 off so it is $99.99 and they will ship here.  I think my shipping was $14 or so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.