green mucus in newborn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stellabella1980

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have a 2 week old newborn baby and 5 days ago her nose started running which was clear. then 3 days ago she now has green mucus coming out of her nose. in the morning after her first feed she will spit back up a bit of the milk and a clump of green mucus. she doesnt have a temperature and her routines (if you can call them that at  2 weeks) havent changed, she is not grizzly or cying either,and all of her nappy changes have been normal. Has anyone experiences the green mucus with their newborns? I took her to a dr yesterday and it wasnt my normal obs / gp that I got to see. This dr said he wasnt concerned but didnt give me any explaination as to why she had green mucus!
Any help at how to get rid of the green mucus is greatly appreciated, or any home remedies...
thanks original.gif

#2 causeway

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Go to the chemist and buy Fess nasal spray with an aspirator. It is so difficult for
Little ones to suck with a blocked nose. Basically you use the spray to moisten the gunk in the sinuses and then use the aspirator to suck all the goo out! We have used this successfully with our DD. You can see the relief on their little faces when they can breathe again! Apart from that there isnt anything else you can do.

#3 Born Three

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (causeway @ 27/10/2012, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go to the chemist and buy Fess nasal spray with an aspirator. It is so difficult for
Little ones to suck with a blocked nose. Basically you use the spray to moisten the gunk in the sinuses and then use the aspirator to suck all the goo out! We have used this successfully with our DD. You can see the relief on their little faces when they can breathe again! Apart from that there isnt anything else you can do.

This is what I did with our newborn and it helped clear it up. I think DS picked up a cold from the older two and had green mucus at 2-3 weeks old.

#4 NinjaMum

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

If it starts hampering her ability to feed and she gets a temp, take her straight to the Dr/ED.

DD copped Influenza A at 10 days old and we were in the children's hospital for a week. She had a stuffy nose for 24 hours, then a temp, and struggled through one feed and went back to sleep. When she woke for another feed (still with a temp) and couldn't breathe well enough to feed, that's when we went to the ED.

They're so little and go down hill so fast. If you're at all worried, it's better to overreact and get them checked out.

#5 roxy1981

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

DS had bronchiolitis at 6 weeks and was flown to RCH and stayed for 3 nights. Ait started with green mucus, although it all happened very quickly, by the next morning he could hardly breathe. He was very lethargic, then stopped feeding, threw up green stuff and his breathing was very laboured. Keep an eye on her as they can get sick so quickly. He was also coughing a bit. He also only had a very slight temp, if any.

#6 lucky 2

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to see your usual GP tomorrow?
I hope your baby continues to be well.

#7 belindarama

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have a tongue tie and so do both of my boys. None of us had it snipped.

There have been no issues here. DS1 was a bad feeder but it didn't seem related to the tongue tie. DS2 fed perfectly from the first feed and I BFed him for a year without a single problem.

Both were early talkers with no speech issues.

All of us are capable of licking an ice cream!

I can't really say what you should do though.

Edited by belindarama, 27 October 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#8 hollysmama

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hi there

I hope your bubba is starting to get better.  My DS got sick when he was 3 wks old, it lasted for 3 months before i put him on AB's and it cleared up.  It wasn't just a runny nose though, he couldn't breathe, sleep or feed properly a lot of the time and I took him to multiple dr's and a paediatrician who all said it's nothing to worry about....grrr.  So I thought it was a dairy allergy so I cut dairy out of my diet, but when that didn't work I demanded AB's and it cleared right up. I can't tell you how relieved I was to finally hear my little boy breathe without any congestion after such a long time! I just wish I had put him on AB's in the beginning and it would have saved a lot of heartache.

Green normally means infection so keep an eye on it.  It's not good to put little ones on AB's, and if you are breastfeeding it should clear up on its own fairly quickly, however it wasn't the case for me.

I found the fess to be crap in all honesty and the aspirator doesn't work one bit.  Google "nosefrida" and get yourself one of those.  Best $15 I ever spent and works 100 times better than the stupid aspirator that comes with Fess.

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.