Jump to content
Support Group for Hi Risk NT Results #42
232 replies to this topic
Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:22 PM
I've just read through this thread after finding out today my pregnancy is high risk for downs, even though it is only 1:151, other risks were in the 1000's, so not terrible but still enough to warrant further testing. I don't know what the breakdown is, but I know the nuchal fold was over 3mm.
This pregnancy has been troublesome from the start. To begin with i am single and it was unplanned as I took the morning after pill, which clearly did not work. I've got hyperemesis and been hospitalised 3 times with it, the last time was a fortnight ago for 5 long days so I've lost 4kg and am mountains of medication for it, and sustagen. Now this.
My amnio is booked for the 11th of June, but I'm not all that concerned given the odds are definitely in my favour.
Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:25 PM
Hello and welcome to all the new joiners. Sorry you find yourselves here but hope the stories give you some hope. We all know how awful the waiting is, and there's just nothing you can do about it but try to keep your mind occupied. I was hopeless at that myself.
Lilseads - so sorry to read your update. I've been thinking about you often x
Worriedmum are you still having your anatomy scan tomorrow? Mine is too - slightly early at 18+4 but I'm on holiday next week and OB suggested getting it done before for peace of mind. Hope it doesn't backfire!
To all the other ladies - hang in there x
Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:23 PM
Hi pinkstar, welcome to our thread. Again it sux to be here but we do have a great group of very supportive women. Your odds are probably in the high risk category because of that 3mm fold. Chances are, things are perfectly fine, they may check for heart problems at your morph scan if the amnio comes up clear - which is extremely likely. As I've found out, if there are issues its highly likely that there are markers in every box, high nt measurement, bad bloods, possible soft markers. I know its little comfort and you've already had a difficult time.... Sometimes it feels like one thing after another!! Try & keep busy, feel free to ask questions and you'll do fine through the amnio.
Nervousmuma, yes also have my morph scan & first proper appt tomorrow..... I'll be 18+6 so also an early one.... But since I've had an amnio I feel like its a good idea. I am dreading it all tho..... I feel like every scan, appt etc is going to bring bad news ...... So yeah.... Not a highlight for me.... Just want it over, like ripping off a bandaid. Good luck for yours tomorrow.... I'm sure all will be perfect!
Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:16 AM
Lilseads - so sorry to hear your news. I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best. xx
Nervous Mamma and WorriedMum - hope it all goes well today.
Pinkstar - sorry you have to join us. It sounds like you're going through a really difficult time with this pregnancy. I hope you have a support network to get you through. The ladies on this forum are gold, and I find that knowing I'm not alone is this is a big comfort.
Well, I'm 3 days into my 14 day wait for results. I've been trying to busy myself with work but there's pretty much nothing else on my mind. I know in my head that 1:47 odds means that there's 98% chance nothing is wrong, but I can't help but feel sick with worry. My husband has been wonderful (as usual) but I just feel as though I want to fall asleep and wake up in 11 days time when they can tell me what's going on.
Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome
Good luck today worried and nervous, look forward to reading about your great scans today.
Andr3a, you could come and do my uni assignments if you'd like?! I have no advice on how to get through the wait, as it's not something I've had to experience yet, given my amnio isn't even until the 11th of June.
I did think of a question, not sure if anyone knows, but if nothing is found with the amnio, are you still considered high risk or do you just go back to standard ante-natal care? I am probably over-thinking it, as I think it may change what hospital I can deliver at? I'm in Perth and was planning on going to Joondalup, but will I now have to go to KEMH? I had DD at KEMH due to hyperemesis and loved it, but I've moved and it is miles away.
Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:35 PM
Andrea, hang in there with the wait. Will you find out the gender from the nipt results? I was dreading the waiting but was happy to think I would be finding out the gender too. So I spent some of that time thinking about names.
Onepinkstar, the amnio should rule out the downs so you could probably go back to standard care. Good luck with your assignments in the meantime and at least those will keep you busy.
Nervous mama and worriedmama, good luck with your scans today.
I spoke to my obst and I am now taking aspirin. The obst previously recommended calcium tablets but I was having problems with keeping elevit down so didn't start on it, I will purchase some caltrate and omega3 the next time I am at the pharmacy. Thanks for the recommendations, worriedmama. My morphology scan is on 31 may, so I must be a couple of weeks behind the both of you, I am 16w6d.
Lilseads, I am sorry about your results. Take care of yourself.
Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:37 PM
Well my scan went pretty well today - everything looked good but have to go back in 4 weeks so they can get a good look at the heart. Baby is measuring well but still a bit early to see everything they need to in her heart. My OB assured me this wasn't code for "there's something wrong", just that they have to be cautious when there's a a family history of heart defects.
I asked whether I should be on aspirin too but he said this was most beneficial when the blood vessels in the placenta are developing during week 10-13 and wouldn't really make a difference at this stage. But he did say my numbers weren't THAT bad, bad enough to throw up the bad NT result but no further treatment is needed except that he'll be monitoring growth a bit more closely in the later stages.
So all in all, good news. Just a shame we could not get a more definitive answer about the heart.
Pinkstar - my NT result was 1:45 and now that I'm clear, I'm not considered high risk anymore. It's only the low Papp-a at 0.303 Mom that warrants closer monitoring but no other change to my antenatal care is necessary. I'm planning on delivering at Mercy but if there does turn out to be a heart prob, I'll have to go to KEMH or maybe just a bigger hosp like SJOG depending on the severity. There's only a question of the heart prob because my husband was born with a VSD - nothing to do with my NT result.
How did you get on Worriedmum?
Hope everyone is coping okay with the hideous waiting game xx
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles