Balance Bikes

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lafonda

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

I don't get them.. please explain to me.

I have heard of them but had never googled. I don't understand how a child stays up, I don't understand how they move?

DS has a bike with training wheels that he has a hard time pedaling. I am wondering whether I should add a bike to his Christmas list.

TIA  original.gif

#2 LeggyBlonde

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (lafonda @ 31/10/2012, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get them.. please explain to me.

I have heard of them but had never googled. I don't understand how a child stays up, I don't understand how they move?

DS has a bike with training wheels that he has a hard time pedaling. I am wondering whether I should add a bike to his Christmas list.

TIA  original.gif

They stay up with their feet flat on the ground!  The idea of a balance bike is that the child can sit comfortably with their feet on the ground, they propel the bike with their feet, and lift their feet to coast.

The lesson learnt is balance (perhaps the hardest bike skill).  Most kids on balance bike progress straight to pushbikes without training wheels.

#3 lafonda

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ah, that makes more sense, now I feel stupid. Why didn't I think of that? Thank you

#4 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

We have one for our 3 year old who would dearly love to ride it, but she's too short to sit comfortably on it. Make sure you try it out for height before you buy.

Otherwise, I think they're fabulous. Our older DD was terrified of getting her training wheels off. She had a couple of quick goes on DD2's balance bike, then went straight to riding her own bike (first just pushing along like a balance bike, then pedaling) in about 15 minutes without us needing to run along behind them.

#5 YellowRubberDucky

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

What is a good age to get them at? Love the idea of them but my daughter is only 18 months...

#6 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (YellowRubberDucky @ 02/11/2012, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is a good age to get them at? Love the idea of them but my daughter is only 18 months...

We gave DD2 hers for her 3rd birthday. We were going to do it for Christmas when she was 2.5 but she was waaaay to short.

#7 melaine

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, height is the limiting factor. We got a metal one with the lowest seat we could find - the strider - and it's just right for a two ytear old.

Edited by melaine, 25 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#8 Kasey5

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

My DD & DS each got going on the balance bike at around 2 1/2. DD progressed quickly to 2 wheel bike without training wheels at 3 1/2. Time to start DS soon!

#9 TheGreenSheep

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

My DS1 progressed so quickly and came off his training wheels when we gave up hoping he ever would. Without pedals it gives them a real sense of balance and leaning, turning and leaning into corners, just far enough, any further they slide off. Whenever we have kids over they love zooming around on it.

I reckon DS2 was on it around 2 when he was off and riding on his brothers.

#10 Ireckon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you have a bike already, why not just take the training wheels and the pedals off for the time being, rather than buying a new bike? It then becomes a balance bike by design, needing to be propelled by foot. As long as the height is right. original.gif

#11 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Ireckon @ 02/11/2012, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have a bike already, why not just take the training wheels and the pedals off for the time being, rather than buying a new bike? It then becomes a balance bike by design, needing to be propelled by foot. As long as the height is right. original.gif

The only problem is that when you take off the pedals, you also need to take off the sticks that hold them on or they catch the kids' ankles as they're pushing themselves along.

#12 Romeo Void

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

My DD was getting nowhere with training wheeles, so I took the chain off, cut the pedals off (and covered any sticky out bits with gaffa tape) to converted it to a balance bike.  Within a week she was coasting down hills, and there started the begging to get a proper bike LOL.  It looks ugly but those tiny little bikes with training wheels were useless to our family, my children couldn't get enough power through their little legs to pedal them.

A girlfriend of mine's two year old can ride my DS's no problem.  It's the little ELC one that looks like a motorbike

Highly recomend balance bikes!

#13 Ireckon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (CaptainOblivious @ 02/11/2012, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem is that when you take off the pedals, you also need to take off the sticks that hold them on or they catch the kids' ankles as they're pushing themselves along.

Sorry, that is actually what I meant by pedals. Brain isn't working with typing skills today. Take off the WHOLE pedal function.

#14 Romeo Void

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Ireckon @ 02/11/2012, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, that is actually what I meant by pedals. Brain isn't working with typing skills today. Take off the WHOLE pedal function.

It's what we did but I just wanted to add that I found it a little tricky to get the stick bits off, I had to cut them off with a hack saw (so no going back LOL).  But it works brilliantly as a balance bike.

#15 ~ky~

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

We're planning on getting one of these for Anna when she is old enough ...

http://www.hipkids.com.au/buy/cobalt-blue-...-bike/HP00019CO

It can go from balance bike to bike with pedals ...

#16 wonder woman

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

1-day.com.au has wooden balance bikes again for $37 delivered - excellent value, we bought one last time...
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/86155

#17 Cat People

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (wonder woman @ 28/11/2012, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1-day.com.au has wooden balance bikes again for $37 delivered - excellent value, we bought one last time...

Thanks WW.  I had been thinking about getting one and that is such a great deal.

#18 whale-woman

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

We got a balnce bike from target (cyclops brand- cute girly pink with streamers for 30$.) I was unsure whether to go the pedal bike route or not as DD was happily riding a bike with training wheels around the bike shop. When she was given the balance bike her first question was 'where are the pedals?'

However I'm now glad we went the balance bike route. DD is now learning to balance which she was hopeless at at first. I'd told her she'll get a bike with pedals when she can balance and go fast on the balance bike and she's pretty motivated and is rapidly improving. I suspect she'll progress to riding without training wheels faster this way, and if not it was only 30$....

#19 adl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Sold!!!  Thanks so much as I wanted l get one but we had already completed shopping for Christmas but at $37 is perfect for new baby gift !!!

#20 Indi

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (undomesticmumma @ 02/11/2012, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, height is the limiting factor. We got a metal one with the lowest seat we could find - the strider - and it's just right for a two ytear old.

We had the Strider for DD2 and DD3.  DD2 was nearly 4 and DD3 was about 2.5 when we got them.  Within 3-4 months they both went straight on to a normal bike without training wheels.  Wish we had known about balance bikes for DD1 - she was 7 before she would ride without training wheels sad.gif

#21 Paddy2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (wonder woman @ 28/11/2012, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I ordered one too. Looks like a great deal, hopefully the quality is OK?

#22 adl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

This may seem a silly question because I will go and try to google,  but do you have to have a helmet on a balance bike?

It is probably better to be mroe safe than not... but I want to know if its mandatory in NSW...   We certainly didnt put a helmet on him with little trikes and ride ons...

#23 Feral WibbleWobble

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

We make sure the kids have helmets on any time they ride any sort of bike. That way they learn that bike= helmet from an early age.

#24 adl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thanks, hadnt thought of it that way but  yes probably a good way to start,  like no outside without a hat

#25 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

My just turned 6 year old is asking for a bike for Christmas. She's petite, so I'm wondering if a balance bike is a good option for her- or is it too 'babyish'?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.