Best Head Lice Treatment

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arage

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Just wondering if anyone could recommend their favourite most effective head lice treatment.  I've tried Moove and it doesn't work.  Have been combing and applying all sorts of concoctions so please don't recommend tea tree oil or any other natural, herbal garb that just makes the nits smell nice.  I'm married to a Licensed Pest Controller and there is absolutely no evidence that these oils kill nits.  Have heard of a product called Hedrin?

#2 anasam

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I don't think the "herbal garb" is supposed to kill them, it discourages them from remaining in the hair. Hedrin isn't going to work any better than Moov did, many lice have become immune to normal treatments. So far for us the best method is to regularly use a nit comb and conditioner on the hair to manually get them out. Otherwise you could get one of those machines that zap the nits.

#3 ubermum

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Orange juice to kill the adults and then a good nit comb, conditioner and time. We have used Hedrin, it's no more effective than OJ. I am over buying specific lice treatment. It's too expensive and does no more than manually removing them.

Tea tree and neam oil and others that people recommend don't kill lice, they discourage them from crawling off that kids hair into your kids hair. They go some way to prevention, but are in no way a cure.

Edited by ubermum, 02 November 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#4 wonder woman

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I bought Full Marks solution and a Lice Breaker comb after reading about them here and they worked original.gif

#5 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I bought Full Marks solution and a Lice Breaker comb after reading about them here and they worked

I always recommend both. They do work.

Lice Breaker comb is brilliant. I only ever use that and cheap conditioner on my kids. Most time it only takes on session to get all the nits/eggs out. But I do follow up treatments just to be sure.

Make sure you are doing follow up treatments within 7 days of the initial treatment to catch anything that may have hatched/been missed.

Treat everyone in the family at the same time. I have had nits as have my non-school age kids and we have not been scratching. Often we just have 1 adult which you never see just be looking.

#6 whoisme

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

A hair straightener....sends them straight to heaven.

I have a 10 yr old son and a 6 yr old daughter and will use it on both of them.

No chemicals, gives lovely straight hair, and you know those buggers won't survive.  No more trips to the chemist/shop.

#7 kadoodle

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

DD1 was sprung vacuuming her head to avoid me nit combing her.  Didn't work sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.