This weeks Challenge is Vanishing Point

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jupiter123

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

This weeks Challenge is Vanishing Point.

When creating depth in photography you need perspective and one of the ways to create perspective is by using one or more vanishing points.

It can be a path, a road, a tree anything as long as it has one or more vanishing points.

Here are some examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/younjin/389032672/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/son_of_fugazi...50705/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daniels22/6907875996/lightbox/

The rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge history for the winner:

Patterns in nature - Jupiter123
Fun _ Silverwattle
Seven - mummy26
Texture - ILLB
At Home - elle-M
Nostalgia - rbat
Reflection - Bryden
Half - Nut
Spring - millie71
Antique - elle-M
Tells a story - Ev
Postcard - raven74
Favourite things - winkwink
Long exposure - rbat
Wings - silverwattle
Sweet - rbat
Light - Skepticaemia
Wild - Mecurial
Moody - BeagleBoy
In the eye of the beholder - cat
Symmetry - JamieLee85
Serenity - winkwink
Out Of Place - Peanut
Water Drop Shot - blue4me
One - Raven74
Black & White Portrait - rbat
Red - Luckyseven
Suggestive - Abbygirl
Mostly Black/Mostly white - PrincessPinkenIt
Autumn - Superman+4Sisters
Capturing Action - Peanut
Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull
Circle - mummy26
Coke - rbat
Abstract - mummy26
The Natural World - Abbygirl
Bokeh - blue4me
Love - Abbygirl
Favourite things - Red Cabbage
Creepy crawlies - Goggles
Four Colours - Nut
Take a walk - Jalex
Christmas - rbat
Relax - Mummy26
Fear - Peanut

#2 SW-

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Great challenge! I love this type shots......never tried it yet.  This is what I love about these challenges, you get to try new things.

#3 Peanut

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

I like this type of shot too!  Looking forward to seeing the entries.

#4 :-) Bec

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well done on your win jupiter original.gif Interesting topic too, a personal favourite for me. Hopefully I will have some time on the weekend to get a shot in. It seems the closer to Christmas we get, the less time I have in any given week!

#5 Jupiter123

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ok come on ladies, I am beginning to get a little concerned here lol

Maybe you need some inspiration.

A quick shot taken earlier today whilst I was at a Birthday Party. I turned around and saw this. Not my best but it will do...

Vanishing Point by Jupiter_123, on Flickr

Edited by jupiter123, 10 November 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#6 SW-

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Nice shot Jupiter.  I went out about a hour ago and got this.  Hopefully it is ok.............my first ever effort.

POF by silver wattle, on Flickr

you get a tiny glimpse of the light outside.

Edited by silverwattle, 12 November 2012 - 05:54 PM.
Image too large

#7 mummy26

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have been celebrating making the photo5 finals and been sick today but I'll try to get one in even if its a little people shot wink.gif

#8 flipped out

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Managed to get out today - not the best shot as the sun was in a tricky spot and DD was getting grizzly - I hope this meets the brief unsure.gif

Annie by flic_22, on Flickr

Edited by flipped out, 11 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#9 :-) Bec

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Beautiful day in Adelaide today original.gif

Inviting by rbat75, on Flickr

Does this fit the brief well enough? If not, I'll enter this one laughing2.gif.

Vanishing point by rbat75, on Flickr

#10 Peanut

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Lol, Bec we obviously share a similar vision when it comes to photography!  I took a beach and a jetty shot too, although I don't think I'll bother entering them.  You had the beautiful weather and I had rain, and yours are so much nicer than mine!  biggrin.gif

#11 elle-M

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh how I tried this week! But I only had 30 minutes on Sunday with both kids in the car (including one 8 month old who's teething) and it was grey and drizzling.

So my few photos I took of a gum tree-lined road are awful.

Sorry, I will work on this theme in my own time because it's a great one!

#12 *Ev

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

ok, i took a few, but I think this one I like best.

#13 Jupiter123

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I am hoping that everyone was just super busy this week and that my topic didn't scare you all off  tongue.gif

silverwattle

Great first attempt, love the black and white. You certainly got the "vanishing point" I almost feel like I am being drawn towards the light. I would have probably cropped the image closer to the first set of pillars.

flipped out

Great lines and angles, I can definitely see depth within the image.

rbat

Beautiful shot of Grange Beach, love the colouring and perception of depth. I want to reach in a scoop up the sand with my hands. You really make me miss my home town.

*Ev

You certainly got the vanishing point. My eyes were instantly drawn to it and it gave great perspective.

Great work ladies, I have really enjoyed looking at your photos.

So I won't drag this one out.

This weeks winner is:

rbat. The sand, the water, your shot captivates me, you nailed it. Fantastic work.

#14 SW-

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Congrats rbat biggrin.gif

#15 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Congratulations Rbat, beautiful photos

#16 :-) Bec

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks jupiter! It was super stunning down there on Sunday morning. I went to Henley first but couldn't get a park - at 930am!! So I drove the extra 5 minutes to Grange. Glad I did now! So you are from Adelaide? Where? I grew up in Semaphore.

Am on my phone at the moment so will be back tomorrow morning with a new challenge! If you want to throw ideas my way for a challenge, go ahead - ha ha.

#17 winkwink

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Congratulations Bec, gorgeous shots.  Wish the weather up here was that nice, although we did need the rain.

#18 Jupiter123

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Rbat yes I am original.gif Tee Tree Gully area, now in Canberra and about to move to Toowoomba. I will be back in town for a few days next week and then for a couple of weeks over Christmas looking forward to being back there.

#19 Sentient Puddle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

Congratulations Bec, loved both photos! Your shots always make me homesick sad.gif

#20 Peanut

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

Well done Bec!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.